How loud are the HD580s/HD600s to others in the room?
Jan 16, 2004 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JohnnyLightOn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm looking for cans to listen to in bed while my wife sleeps. I'd like something detailed and laid-back that I can listen to at low volumes.

Assuming a relatively low volume, how much will she be able to hear with either of these models if she's lying right next to me? Is one better in this respect than the other?

And are these so bulky I can't listen to them comfortably while lying down?

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 16
At low volumes, my HD650's are no more audible to the surroundings than the cheap headphones that come with cd players.

I can definitely lay down comfortably with them on, in fact, I've fallen asleep while wearing them during late night listening sessions (12-3AM).

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 16
They're about as loud to others around you as they are to you if you take into account the distance your wife would be from them. I would get a set of closed phones myself...

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 16
HD580's were too bulky for me to lie down with. They would be pushed to the front of my head when I layed down...

Plus, what you can hear of the music, someone right next to you can hear. That's how open they are.

Ultrasone HFI-650's, however, I love sleeping with
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 16
I don't know whether to thank you guys for saving me the $$$ I would have spent on a headphone amp for the HDs
600smile.gif
, or cry because I can't have that great sound that I know I'd like.
frown.gif
Most of my listening will be at night in bed, so it doesn't look good.

My source is an iPod, and I will read the current threads about that and make a separate post asking for recommendations if I need to. Thanks again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
HD580's were too bulky for me to lie down with. They would be pushed to the front of my head when I layed down...

Twist your pillow 45 degrees for the triangle lovin'! The clearance is just enoughf for me.

Jan 16, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 16
Go with a DT770 or a HD280 or something closed and you'll likely stay married (to your wallet as well).

At least, that's my impression from what I've read. I'm still shopping for my next headphone purchase, but the HD6xx line is likely out due to the leakage.

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
How about thanking us for saving you from a divorce?
evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif
No doubt!
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
How about thanking us for saving you from a divorce?
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the laugh!
biggrin.gif

I will check out the HD280 and DT770. My other prime candidate has been the Shure E3c. (Etys don't fit my ear canals and I don't want to go for the custom molds.)

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 16
There is a volume where anybody decently close to you (4-5 ft.) cannot hear what you're playing on the HD580's. The volume's pretty low, but you can definitely hear music at a low sound level.

If you turn it down to a really quiet volume (whisper), nobody can hear it. I'm listening to really quiet music right now, and I can only hear it when I stick my ear directly outside the headphones.

Of course the usual listening level I listen at, people 4-5 ft. away can hear I'm listening to music (probably can't tell what I'm listening to though).

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyLightOn
I don't know whether to thank you guys for saving me the $$$ I would have spent on a headphone amp for the HDs
600smile.gif
, or cry because I can't have that great sound that I know I'd like.
frown.gif
Most of my listening will be at night in bed, so it doesn't look good.

My source is an iPod, and I will read the current threads about that and make a separate post asking for recommendations if I need to. Thanks again.
smily_headphones1.gif

You could get ety 4s. No one can hear the music but you, and they really like amps
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back