How is wrestling still on TV?
Nov 30, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #16 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06
You're definately right about that. You couldn't pay me to get on a bull, well maybe if it was a LOT of money. But I sure would rather get Rock-Bottomed by The Rock than get slung from the back of a bull and stomped on
icon10.gif

No kidding those guys are hard core! There used to be a saying going around that went something like: It may be quick for her but 8 seconds is a long time for a cowboy
icon10.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #17 of 73
PBR is pretty dangerous but am not sure if it's the most dangerous.

There's base jumping which many people don't survive or maybe free diving where people black out because their brains don't get enough oxyge due to the depth. The Paris-Dakar rally isn't a safe event either - this year a rider died and many people get injured every year or get serious dehydration.

Not sure about this whole wrestling thing. I liked it when I was younger, but now it seems silly. It might be an age thing
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #18 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
I used to enjoy the show during my college and teenager days. I'm still quite impressd on how amazing some moves are. This type of wrestling is still a fake, but they still get hurt all the time.

You mean wrestling IS fake???
eek.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #20 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol
......cause i'm a bad man...a bad man...

Chain-Gang Soldiers baby!

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #21 of 73
The numbers might be down a little from the Hulk Hogan days, but it is still very popular. When I was a little kid I remember watching it. The characters back then were Chief Jay Strongbow, Gorilla Monsoon and Bruno Sanmartino. It’s always been great for kids. As to why some adults watch it, well if you can’t say anything nice…

In 85 when I got out of the Navy (twenty years. I’m old maybe I’ll die soon) I seriously considered becoming a Pro-wrestler. I even went to one of the first Wrestlemania’s. I had a great idea for a character. Someday when I have more time maybe I’ll post my almost became a wrestler story. In any case I opted to pursue other avenues.

Nov 30, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 73
Be careful what you say about wrestling fans.

I have some fond childhood memories of staying up late on Saturday nights with my grandma, watching Portland Wrestling and Roller Derby.
Of course the wrestling show was a lot more basic then than now.

I don't watch wrestling now, and haven't for many years. I find it hard to belittle those that do. Sophistication is in the eye of the beholder.

Nov 30, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 73
Man, I use to go to the Roller Derby at the local High School. I couldn't have been more than twelve, but it was a riot!

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Wrestling in the 80s was awesome. It just plain sucks now and I no longer see the attraction. Being older now is probably one reason for my change of heart but also I feel the characters back then were a lot more interesting.

agree 100% The showmanship is just not there. Nature Boy, Ted DiBiase, Fabulous Freebirds... there was a huge list of good entertaining characters. With a few exceptions, today's wrestlers seem cookie cutter by comparison.

I'd still watch it today once in a while but I don't want my 5-year-old going wild. I remember the first time he saw WWE when he was 2 or 3 years old. He got too excited and that scared me a little
eek.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I find it hard to belittle those that do. Sophistication is in the eye of the beholder.

Not true. It's clearly visible that everything about the new wrestling is fake (was it ever real?!) and that the acting is horrible. Anyone who can get entertained by such worthless garbage gets demoted in my book. Unless they are watching it to mock it, but I have not encountered that yet. The guys I know who watch it, watch it because they love it and act like those in the ring are actually hitting each other. Yeah right.

Besides, like any quality reality TV these days, I bet you a thousand dollars that every single match is rigged.

Dec 1, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Three words:

People are stupid.

Thanks, that was nice
rolleyes.gif
. Maybe you should better educate me on what I am entertained by. In fact, if you did I could pass it on to several of my friends, I think we'd be much better for it
plainface.gif

Quote:

Not true. It's clearly visible that everything about the new wrestling is fake (was it ever real?!) and that the acting is horrible. Anyone who can get entertained by such worthless garbage gets demoted in my book. Unless they are watching it to mock it, but I have not encountered that yet. The guys I know who watch it, watch it because they love it and act like those in the ring are actually hitting each other. Yeah right.

Besides, like any quality reality TV these days, I bet you a thousand dollars that every single match is rigged.

Wow, you can move me down a notch in your book, and I'll move you down about five in mine. Here's a clue: they actually are hitting each other, and body-slamming each other, however, they do it in a way designed to prevent injury. And thanks for the genius observation that the matches are rigged, I'm sure all of us ignorant wrestling fans didn't know that yet
rolleyes.gif
, I guess I'll just go back and wallow in my stupidity
rolleyes.gif
. Get over yourself
redface.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #28 of 73
you really think they are hitting each other? eh. i've seen them fall down from a punch that clearly hit air, but i suppose your eyesight is much better than mine
rolleyes.gif

and besides, getting hurt is part of it. pain is fun, that's what the sport is all about. you'd rather watch a bunch of pansies? awesome.

these guys are all steroids, all bark, and no bite. it's pathetic really.

Dec 1, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #29 of 73
Quote:

you really think they are hitting each other? eh. i've seen them fall down from a punch that clearly hit air, but i suppose your eyesight is much better than mine
rolleyes.gif

and besides, getting hurt is part of it. pain is fun, that's what the sport is all about. you'd rather watch a bunch of pansies? awesome

Wow. All I can say is wow, and congratulations, you've earned the first spot on my ignore list. I didn't know anyone on these forums could be so much of an outright jerk to someone. But hey, if you get off belittling other people due to simply something they enjoy watching on tv, more power to you
plainface.gif
. I'll say it one last time, and maybe you can try it sometime...get over yourself. It's too bad, you're the ONLY person on this forum I have actually lost respect for.

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #30 of 73
Alright, this thread could be tied together in a neat little package with a single word. Money.

Yes, wrestling is apperantly profitable. The WWE has had one of the highest rated cable shows for quite a long period of time, and while trends wax and wane (i'm not a fan myself), it's all about money. All of TV is, whether or not you find the content to be up to a subjective set of standards (Which most TV fails to meet, imo), created for the sole purpose of bringing it's creators financial resources.

And regardless of what your personal opinion on the subject may be, it's simply igorant to claim that there's no risks associated, no real blows thrown. The number of injuries which occur during the average wrestling match is dramatically higher than what's shown on TV (On an average 2 hour affair, atleast 1 or 2 wrestlers usually suffer injuries serious enough to leave them out of work for atleast a couple of weeks). Throwing your body off of a turnbuckle and landing ontop of a person in a way which will cause them as little bodily harm as possible requires skill, guts, and a lot of dumb luck to pull off safely. Sure, the punches may be staged, and anyone with an understanding of basic human anatomy can understand how the entire moveset has been designed for showmanship and little else, but it doesn't negate the risks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back