How is Khozmo Stepped Attenuators?
Apr 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #361 of 440
Whoa! That is indeed a beast! What amp is that? Your design? Looks to be some form of tube hybrid and VERY interesting.

Not sure how I am going to mount the Khozmo. While I bought it for a particular build, I really bought it more to check it out and see if I can come back around to using a stepped attenuator. In the past, I had audio gear with them and could never seem to find the "right" setting. Maddening personal imperfection married to the quest for the perfect level always had me wanting a setting between those available. Hopefully, age has mellowed that obsession a bit. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #362 of 440
It's the T2, an electrostatic amp by Dr Gilmore. Really a beast in all meanings.

With 48 steps, I think you'd be able to get fine adjustment for your need :). I sometimes had difficulty to get to the desired listening level with the 24-step DACT but never got into that trouble with the Khozmo. It's really a piece of art. I don't know how many hours needed to assemble one like that.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #363 of 440
Very nice Tran, I knew you were crazy, but not T2 crazy 
tongue.gif

Your not using one of the doctors fine cases?

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #365 of 440
Very nice Tran, I knew you were crazy, but not T2 crazy 
tongue.gif

Your not using one of the doctors fine cases?

Yeah, I really wanted to grasp the last chassis set but many things prevented that so I decided to do things on my own.

I'm quite behind from the KGSSHV project. Got the chassis done and the PSU up and running but still lazy to wire up everything together :xf_eek:

May 31, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #368 of 440
So I finally hooked up my Khozmo and gave it a test drive. I recently built a extremely small op amp-based amp called "The Wire". Normally, the amp is built balanced, but, I went singled ended so that I can specifically try out the khozmo.

Yes, "The Wire" is extremely small! But, that's a topic for another thread.

Initial impressions with the khozmo are very, very positive. This is the first stepped attenuator I have used whereas I do not feel I am lacking for steps at all (it has 48 steps). I can dial in just the right amount of attenuation desired. Every bit as precise as a standard, continuously variable potentiometer. At least for the range in which I am using it. Very nice indeed! Of course, I built "The Wire" with a gain of 2, so, that helps as the majority of the time is spent in the sweet spot where the steps are 1db apart (first 11 steps are 2db apart with the rest 1db apart).

My main issue is the size. This thing is ginormous! (Is that really a word?). I could not case up the final amp as I measured wrong and it will not fit in the 2" tall hammond enclosure I bought for it! Oh, well.

Anyway, I am very pleased. There is still a significant cost delta between this and a high-end TKD, which, I also like very, very much. Still, they are a good value for what you get. They are built like a tank, or at least this SMD version is built like a tank. I have no doubt this thing will outlive me!

Closing shot, in test configuration hooked up to my gamma2 (not pictured):

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #374 of 440

Quote:
Here is a drawing of their implementation:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/Khozmo_install.pdf

Thanks. Yup. That's what I was afraid of. Pity he had to fall for the mythology of the "shunt" attenuator. It's such a beautiful unit otherwise (the round, surface mount version that is).

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back