How important is soundstage?
Nov 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been a member here for a long time but I've only been aggressively active since March of this year, yet I still have no idea when or why soundstage is important.

The two headphones I own: Denon D2000 and Grado SR125 are not known for their soundstage, but I like their sound like no other. Headphones I've tried with soundstage strengths (various Sennheisers and the AD700) don't click with me at all.

Is it because of my music preferences? I listen to some rock (modern and classic), some motown, and soul, but mainly my tastes cover hip-hop, new wave, punk, electronic, electronic rock, and pop. Occasionally I listen to some jazz and vocal, big band stuff as well.

Should I look for some headphones that are strong in the soundstage department to keep my headphone ammunition fully loaded or is it something geared more for people who listen to music with many instruments?

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 20
D2000's not known for their soundstage? If your D2000's sound anything like the D5000's than I think they do have a good soundstage.

That aside, for me a soundstage matters with every type of music.
With soundstage I simply mean the sense and feeling you get of the acoustics of the recording, the room/hall the band/orchestra is performing.
A soundstage can be big and laid-back or more intimate and upfront.
Ideally the recording itself decides whether the sound is upfront and intimate or with more distant and wider.

I feel the D5000's (and I reckon your D2000's as well) do an excellent job in just reproducing the acoustics of the recording with a slight overall preference for upfront and intimate.
Many Sennheisers I heard were pretty much laid-back with every recording and type of music, that I feel is not natural.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 20
It's really up to personal preference.

The wider and more accurate a headphone's sound stage is, will make you feel like you're at a concert-- without the crowd cheering and speaker distortion... but I'm sure for five bucks a piece, you could hire some homeless guys to cheer behind you while you're listening to music. In fact, the more homeless guys you have doing that, the more respected you will be in this community.

But seriously, sound stage adds to the realism factors of headphone audio, and for many, it's right next to sound quality on the imaginary chart of importance.

Some people do just prefer the in-head music projection, similar to the sound stage created by most earbuds and IEMs.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 20
I don't care how good a pair of phones is in other areas, if they don't have a decent soundstage they won't make the grade for me. It may not be the most important characteristic IMO, but it is pretty high on the list.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many Sennheisers I heard were pretty much laid-back with every recording and type of music, that I feel is not natural.

It depends on amp,source,interconnects,headphone positioning on the head etc.

Hd600,650 are not very laidback,they are fine.It's just the synergy with the other gear,and as i said before,the positioning on the head.

I also had the weird earpads experience with the new replacement ones being shorter than the older ones,so they made my hd 600 sound more upfront.(which i didn't like so i use my older taller pads again)

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2000's not known for their soundstage? If your D2000's sound anything like the D5000's than I think they do have a good soundstage.

The reviews I've read about the D2000/D5000s say it's not a strength of the headphones. In fact, according to what I've read (because it seems I'm soundstage-deaf), closed headphones in general can't compare to open headphones in the soundstage dept.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 20
D2000/5000/7000s have a decent soundstage, not excellent by any means, but quite good. It can be improved as well through the use of a suitable amp (the Auzentech HTHD sound card dedicated headphone amp as well as HeadRoom Micro are the cheapest that come to mind).

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 20
Soundstage is key for me... I absolutely love the tonal characteristics and balance of my Sony MDR-CD3000s (which already have a very good soundstage, the best I've heard in a closed headphone), but even so I keep coming back to my K701 and am unable to ditch them because I find the spatial presentation so addictive.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 20
Soundstage is crucial for me. It can make or break a headphone.
Which may be one of the reasons I have fallen so completely in love with the K1000. It present a soundstage like few (any?) other headphones. Depth, width, precision, ...
k1000smile.gif

Anyones mileage may vary of course.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think is awareness...soon as you get use to a big sound stage, you'll always want to get this sensation again.
k701smile.gif

I agree completely here.

Also, keep in mind that your source will play a big role in soundstage. I own the K702, which many claim are the king of soundstage, but with my old source (the same DAC you own - the Keces 151) the soundstage was less than impressive. I've since upgraded to a much much better source.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 20
I guess I'm one of the few for whom the soundstage is less important. Most important to me is the sound quality and will choose that over any of the sound's characteristics. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good soundstage, but I can move between my Grado 325is to my Yuin PK1's without missing anything.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 20
Old progressive rock and the 701s are beautiful. Blues or other small venue I go for the RS-1s. I've heard some better all round headphones but I love the big soundstage.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'm one of the few for whom the soundstage is less important. Most important to me is the sound quality and will choose that over any of the sound's characteristics. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good soundstage, but I can move between my Grado 325is to my Yuin PK1's without missing anything.

For me sound quality, overall balance and fluidity of the sound is more important as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reviews I've read about the D2000/D5000s say it's not a strength of the headphones. In fact, according to what I've read (because it seems I'm soundstage-deaf), closed headphones in general can't compare to open headphones in the soundstage dept.

Compared to open models it isn't as wide, true, but that's the compromise one makes with closed-back headphones.
Still, I find the soundstage to be pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back