How I opened my Grado RS2i
Oct 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been inundated with questions about how I opened up my Grado RS2i's... so rather than replying to all the PM's I will just post a brief synapsis of what I did. 

Obviously I've already completed my mod, so I dont have pictures to contribute to this post so I'll do my best to describe with words.

1. Remove the bowl pad, hold the cup in hands with your thumbs on the edge of the driver. Push the driver on one side at a time (rocking motion) into the cups. The goal here is to utilize the tiny bit of clearance behind the driver to release the glue from the face of the driver. In my case, there was just enough of a space behind to break the glue free from the face of the driver.

2. Using your fingernail, remove the glue from the face of the driver. (I also used a small pick from a Craftsman 4 piece pick and hook set). Obviously this step requires allot of patience and a steady hand so that you do not damage the wood.

3. Push out on the driver using something small enough to fit through the grill. (be careful here, if you look closely at the magnet... there are 2 small holes that you do NOT want to penetrate). I used a diaper pin, flattened the point, and bent it straight. Patience is important here as well, it took me over an hour of fiddling to get the first driver out. 

Hope this helps someone.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back