How good is the new Headroom Ultra DAC
May 17, 2009 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jalo

Headphoneus Supremus
I just want some input from the general forum on this new DAC. Is it as good as it says on the description? I am not familiar with the advanced ESS Technology ES9008 SABRE D-to-A processor, is it comparable to the likes of Wadia, Bel Canto etc?

"With the HeadRoom Ultra Desktop DAC, known as the 'UltraDAC', the fine art of music is delivered with natural ease and simple clarity that belies one of the most contemporary and complex number-crunching digital-to-analog converters available today. The highly advanced ESS Technology ES9008 SABRE D-to-A processor that lies deep within the Ultra Desktop DAC embodies numerous patents, breakthroughs, and proprietary technologies enabling it to digitally process the audio signal to produce warm, virtually jitter-free decoding performance."

May 17, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 7
Well, it uses the same Sabre ES9008 DAC chip as the McIntosh MCD500, which is a $6,500 USD cd player... otherwise, i have no idea how good it is, but that might be an indication.

May 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 7
same dac chip as in the Buffalo I think or at least the same range; the sabre range of dacs is re-writing the books on detail and high resolution. getting my buffalo ASAP

May 17, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raffa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it uses the same Sabre ES9008 DAC chip as the McIntosh MCD500, which is a $6,500 USD cd player... otherwise, i have no idea how good it is, but that might be an indication.

Thank you for using your first post to reply to my question.
smile_phones.gif

May 18, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 7
Anytime, gotta start somewhere... You may also want to check out the Peachtree Nova. It uses the Sabre "Premier" ES9006. vs. Headroom's Sabre "Reference" ES9008. Otherwise, between Peachtree's Nova, Headroom's Ultra DAC and McIntosh's MCD500, those are the only commercial products I know of using the Sabre DAC's.

May 18, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks, I plan on attending Can Jam for a hands on experience. But knowing how this D/A chip is applied also helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back