How good is the HP amp in the Apogee Duet?
Feb 17, 2008 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cosmic Fool

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a HP amp/DAC combo to use with my Mac mini. My HP's are the Senn HD 595 and the Beyer DT 990 (05 ed, 250 Ohm). Is the Duet capable enough to run a higher impedance phone as the DT 990? Or is a 2Move for instance a better option if you want a strong and small HP amp?

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 8
In my opinion, you need a separate amp due to the impedance issues. I recently coupled mine to my Headroom portable via RCA inputs. Without the separate amp, the Duet has trouble keeping up and is "maxed out" at relatively low volumes using the output level adjustment on the Duet itself. I would definitely recommend an amplifier with anything more than IEMs.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, you need a separate amp due to the impedance issues. I recently coupled mine to my Headroom portable via RCA inputs. Without the separate amp, the Duet has trouble keeping up and is "maxed out" at relatively low volumes using the output level adjustment on the Duet itself. I would definitely recommend an amplifier with anything more than IEMs.

I'll be following this with interest as I've heard exactly the opposite regarding the Duet and Senns. And I'm very interested in the duet with my Senns. I find it kind of hard to imagine that Apogee would make a device with the Duet's purpose and not give it enough juice to drive a standard like the HD680/600/650, but maybe. It is pro recording gear and, no doubt, made to be used with closed phones...

Tim

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 8
How does the duet cope with Grados and their low impedence does anybody know?

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 8
I like my duet with both Senn 600s and Grado HF1s. I won't listen much above 80dB however, so if you want earsplitting volume, I'm not the person to ask.

Is it a replacement for a great home amp? No. Have I heard a portable amp that would be an upgrade over the apogee's built in amp? No.

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 8
I have used my Duet with AKGs, Sennheisers, Grados and Etymotics. My opinion is that it does better with the higher impedance AKGs and Sennheisers. I have had no issues driving any headphones to loud and well controlled volumes within the first third of its output capability.

I have been listening to my new Grado SR225 a lot since I got them, and of course they're easy to drive. However, what I note with both these headphones and the Etymotic ER-4S is that they become pretty bright and and somewhat thin in the bass department through the Duet. This may be the effect of an extremely detailed DAC pushing headphones with extended treble capabilities up to regions unexploited with other sources, or some other issue, but by now I have concluded that I won't use the Duet's headphone output in the long term with either the SR225 or the ER-4S.

On the other hand, the HD580 responds extremely well to the amplification that the Duet provides, and the headphones seem to be laid back enough that the treble doesn't become an issue. The bass response is noticeably more authoritative through the Duet than through either a Hornet or an Arietta, and the mids remain classic Sennheiser in the sense that the soundstage is quite broad with a nice sense of space. The Duet is neutral enough that it doesn't have the effect of bringing the HD580's mids forward at all.

I didn't buy the Duet to serve as an all-in-one device, and I won't be using it as such. I have my doubts as to whether the DAC can be beat for the price at this time, and the headphone output certainly is worth using with certain headphones. I will have a home amp added to my setup quite soon, and will then use it to drive the SR225. I'll then have the option to switch other headphones conveniently between the home amp and the Duet as appropriate. I don't think the Duet can be faulted at all for not driving every single headphone the way a person would like. Even if someone bought a standalone headphone amp, that would be too much to expect. I just happen to like the Grado sound enough (I fell instantly in love!) that I feel it worth it to invest in a separate home amp known to be particularly well suited to the SR225. If I were to stick with Sennheisers and AKGs exclusively, I definitely would not invest in a separate headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back