how good are the sennheiser hd650's??
May 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #61 of 89
Quote:

Between those two it's definitely preference.  They just have totally different presentations. They're pseudo-equals, with HD650 being the technologically superior one by a hair, but not so much so that it should trump preference in signature.  Lots of people prefer HD600 more.  It's the flat neutral one that was designed for classical engineering. 

But people who love the warmed, mid-centric HD650 sound love that sound. It is actually highly detailed but the mind associates detail with treble sparkle, and the absence of treble sparkle tricks one to believe it's missing detail when it really isn't.  Your signal chain is Bifrost & Lyr so you shouldn't be lacking there! But you have to adapt your brain to it a bit.  Since you have them, listen closely and pay attention to the detail.  It's there.

Of course it doesn't have that huge v-shape "fun" curve that your UE IEMs have.  The polite, "refined", mids centric sound of HD650 is the opposite of a "fun" curve.  HD600 is relatively flat (right between fun and refined) Nothing has as deep a V curve as Ultimate Ears, their house sound is as "fun" as it gets.  By contrast Shure SE535 is what I'd consider the IEM version of an HD650.  A little more "fun" but not much more.

I was actually referring to my SM3's. I think probably the first and most fitting comparison I came up with when listening to them was a less detailed SM3.

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #62 of 89
I would just like to clarify some things about the sennheiser hd650's....they are true reference class, and also you hear music the way the artist wanted you to hear the song! I've heard extremely bassy songs, and others that were more treble rich! The hd650's let you hear a song the way it was intended....go to www.headphone.com and look at the frequency chart for these headphones....it's very flat and pretty even....search these headphones on that site....

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #63 of 89
Not colored? Both the HD650 and HD600 are colored headphones. They are warm, bassy, and smooth. That's a coloration for sure. The HD650's add bass when it's not needed but do glaze over bad recordings really well. That is their best strength to me, they make the worst recordings sound nice. HD600 does this as well, but not as good as the HD650 dose.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #65 of 89
What's going on?  You started this thread asking if the HD650 was reference or not as you weren't confident in your own opinion on them, and now after hearing other people's thoughts you can't stop bringing the fact that they 'produce sound the way it was meant to sound.'

It sounds like a bad case of needing to justify a purchase to me.

As far as HD600 and 650 having colored bass-- eh, very minimal.  HD650 might have a small mid-bas hump, but both headphones are lacking in raw extension.  They're both a bit on the leaner side for certain bass frequencies.  And as far as 650 being severely more colored than 600 or not, that's iffy too.  They're both very similar and the 650 is pretty damn close to neutral compared to a lot of other stuff on the market.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #66 of 89
650 is less colored than people think. A system that's truly flat 20-20 has tonality that's closer to the HD650 than it is to colder, more analytical headphones. Granted, the 650 does have some extra mid and upper bass and is generally on the warm side, but compared to the colorations inherent in many other headphones, it's not too far from neutral.

Again, this all assumes the signal path is up to par. On a lousy system the 650 has loose wooly bass and severely muffled highs. If that's what you think the HD650 sound is, then yes, that sound is very very colored.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #68 of 89
I'm sorry raven....been doing alot of research online, and looking at reviews, and comments from this site, and listening to alot of different music, and I think they sound reference quality to me....I also own the sennheiser hd595's, and these are superior to them....and I looked at frequency charts on the hd650's, and they look, and sound superior to anything I've heard....but no, it's not buyers remorse, it's putting on the hd595's, and realizing how good the hd650's are! If you don't think they're reference quality, then I don't know what to tell you....I hear every little detail through them I'm every song! Even the slightest details!

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #69 of 89
Quote:
I'm sorry raven....been doing alot of research online, and looking at reviews, and comments from this site, and listening to alot of different music, and I think they sound reference quality to me....I also own the sennheiser hd595's, and these are superior to them....and I looked at frequency charts on the hd650's, and they look, and sound superior to anything I've heard....but no, it's not buyers remorse, it's putting on the hd595's, and realizing how good the hd650's are! If you don't think they're reference quality, then I don't know what to tell you....I hear every little detail through them I'm every song! Even the slightest details!

Ok enough of this charade. Reference is in relation to the best thing YOU have heard. My own frame of 'reference' is the JH13 pro, which puts the HD600/HD650 to shame in comparison. Others would have heard even better stuff.

I'm sure if you heard the HD700/HD800 in a good set-up you would be saying they were reference.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #71 of 89
I have the hd650's, moon audio blue dragon v3 cable, and CD player...I think I have a decent setup..plus I'm looking to get a little dot mk3 tube amp....right nite I'm using a12 volt amp...and yes, these are the best I have heard...so I agree...and why would I spend 1500 dollars on a pair of headphones that are not that much better, and 3 timed the price! Can u justify that? If you can, please do....

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #73 of 89
JH13 pro isn't $500. There aren't many things under $500 that will put the HD650 to shame. Several used electrostatics like the SR-Lambda or SR-X Mk3 Pro, for a certainty. ESP950, since you can sometimes find it new around $500. And... that's about it.

Yes, the 650 is nowhere near reference, but there aren't many headphones that actually are reference. Headphones aren't linear enough. Even the SR-007 and SR-009 aren't linear enough. But they have other virtues.

I agree, the 650 fawning has gone on long enough.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #74 of 89
I appreciate that "project" :) but, cat, how can you say these aren't reference? They sound smooth, accurate, extremely detailed in my opinion, and won many awards! Anyone with ears will tell you these are reference....they blow me away every time I listen to them....I mean, look at reviews from other sites online....then get back to me......I love em....gotta admit...the music flows, and doesn't kill my ears...I've been listening to headphones for years now....and I'm totally blown away by these....but, only when properly amped, and with cardas, or moon audio cables:)

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #75 of 89
Because I've heard better things, yes the difference won't be astronomical but it's not like the JH13 is the best of the best anyways. Oh well, time to just enjoy the music instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back