How far should I upgrade headphones/amps with a Crappy source
Apr 9, 2018 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

loki993

500+ Head-Fier
Everything's relative
I have a pair of K7xxs right now and DT770s 80s. I was going to jump to some HD650s, maybe HE4xxs or something like that but now I'm thinking of skipping that all together and going with something like Aeon Flow Opens, Focal Elear/Elex, LDC-2cs maybe even something from ZMF like an atticus if I can find one for sale at a reasonable price.

The thing is I enjoy my music cheap and easy to get, my primary sources are Amazon Music, soundcloud and youtube, sometimes a little spotify in there. I use the free versions of each and none are considered a particularly great source for fidelity. The fact is i'm not going to be springing for something like Tidal or ripping all of my music onto my computer and turning it into FLAC, Im just not. Also I listen to a lot of EDM, Hip hop and modern and classic rock, a lot of that isnt always know for a ton of fidelity either at times.

I've been through a few different headphones and amps and all have made a difference in how the music sounds. Now though I'm ready to try and step out of mid-fi sidgradeitis into something hopefully more end game..and ultimately a lot more expensive than Im used to spending.

The question I have is though is it worth it, will I reach a point to where my source is limiting me and better headphones are not going to make a difference or even worse ,I suppose, the headphone will start making my source sound worse.

I understand garbage in and garbage out, but up to this point I've been able to make improvements but when do those improvements stop, theoretically. We can all have these hopes and dreams about what we are "going to" do but if we are really honest with ourselves maybe we can save a few bucks along the road.

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 8
Revealing headphones such as AKG K7 series,BeyerDynamic T1s,Sennheiser HD700/800 among others will expose crap files for what they are.Other quality headphones will do the same,but to a lesser extent.

You made no mention of your other gear,such as amps and DACs,so im guessing they dont exist.If thats the case I would invest in a good amp and DAC before throwing more cash at headphones.

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 8
No it was just another rabbit hole I didn't want to go down in this thread. Currently Im using a Schiit Magni 3 with a Mimby so they should be sufficient for just about anything I throw at them. I was originally going to upgrade to a Lyr 3 but I thought maybe that 500+ bucks would be better spent on headphones instead right now..hence my current predicament.

also not to throw this thing off track...but have you managed to get your sextets to sound good? I have a pair also but everything I plug them into they just sound lean and just ok.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 8
No it was just another rabbit hole I didn't want to go down in this thread. Currently Im using a Schiit Magni 3 with a Mimby so they should be sufficient for just about anything I throw at them. I was originally going to upgrade to a Lyr 3 but I thought maybe that 500+ bucks would be better spent on headphones instead right now..hence my current predicament.

That combo will be decent for most headphones that youre considering.

If youre okay with crappy file quality then sure grab a different pair of headphones,just be aware of what I mentioned above regarding revealing headphones.

also not to throw this thing off track...but have you managed to get your sextets to sound good? I have a pair also but everything I plug them into they just sound lean and just ok.

Here ya go...My review and comments I made regarding amping the Sextetts.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 8
That combo will be decent for most headphones that youre considering.

If youre okay with crappy file quality then sure grab a different pair of headphones,just be aware of what I mentioned above regarding revealing headphones.

I totally understand that which is sort of the point of the original question. When do they become too revealing and that detracts from the music. I suppose though it may be a different answer for most people.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 8
The lcd 2,the ZMF Atticus, Audioquest Nighthawk amongst others have a warm sound signature with rolled off treble to varying degrees That's what you're looking for when finding a pair of headphones that are gentle with lofi files

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 8
As a current owner of the ZMF Atticus,and as someone who sold an LCD-2 pre-fazor to fund the Atticus,I would suggest you look into either the Nighthawk or LCD-2...Couple reasons.Primarily the Atticus can be quite amp picky which can lead to spending a lot more on amps to get the Atticus to sound the way you prefer it to.....but when you do?Simply great!

The LCD-2 is easy.Not amp picky nor particularly hard to drive,relatively speaking.The Nighthawk is th cheapest option and probably the warmest sounding of the three....which makes it pretty easy going on lofi files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back