How far in should this green Etymotic filter be?
Dec 24, 2001 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
I just changed little green filter in my right Etymotic 4P. The manual says

"3. With your fingers, place the filter into the end of the earphone so that the green mesh side faces out.

4. Make sure the filter is flush with the earphone case."

So, I used my fingers to push the filter in and I could not get it in nearly as far as the left one that came from the factory is. I would say that there is still almost a millimeter sticking out. Should I press it in on a flat surface like my desk, or just leave it sticking out like that? I would just force it in, but I did pay $269 for these and I really don't want to mess them up.

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2001 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Now I feel like an idiot.

I re-read my own post and realized that it was obvious that I needed to get the filter in there all the way. I did so using my desk and a gentle push.

Sorry about wasting your time with this.
frown.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2001 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 8
The filter is an acoutic resistor. As it starts to clog with earwax the resistance value goes up and it starts to overdampen the mid to high frequencies. This is usually fairly gradual, and sometimes hard to notice if you use them every day.

I have used some for several years, and others I have seen clog in as little as a week. A good question to start with is how full of wax do your eartips get? Earwax is a protection for you ear. The amount you produce is dependent on the person. When you put something in your ear such as an earphone, or hearing aid, the ear will try to flush remove it. This will normally subside after a few weeks.

I guess I don't have a good answer, other than if your eartips are always dirty when you remove them, change the filters more often (once a month?) depending on how much you use them.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Dec 24, 2001 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 8
Now I'm using custom earmoulds I'm hoping that I won't have to change them at all (or at least not for quite some time) as the filters are recessed far further back into the mould.

I had a problem with my Ety's recently (after I got the moulds) and I began to seriously doubt the moulds were doing the business - after changing the filters, that did the trick quite nicely and the moulds offer the Ety's a more consistant sound - far easier to get the insertion just right.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 8
Now I feel like an idiot.

I re-read my own post and realized that it was obvious that I needed to get the filter in there all the way. I did so using my desk and a gentle push.

Sorry about wasting your time with this.
frown.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

You are not !
I just found your thread that was very useful for me : in my ER4 manual, they don't say if the "green mesh" side of the filter should face out or in*... and you gave me the answer !
Thank you :)

The manual just says "put the filter in..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back