How Does the Sony MDR-V6 Compare With Others?
Jun 24, 2014 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pshaww

New Head-Fier
Well... I think the title says it all. I've been an owner of Sony MDR-V6 phones for almost a year now, and I absolutely love them - except after about 1 or 2 hours of using them my ears start to feel pretty hot. I know that is quite a while, but I still have to use them sometimes for a while with music when performing or recording, etc. 

This brings me to question on a similar price of $150 or less, are there any other headphones you are aware of that have a better sound and more comfortable muffs? I plan on using them for quite awhile in the future, so I'd want them to be well-built and have a pretty neutral recreation of the original intended music - no boosted bass or exaggerated highs.

I'm not looking for a detailed break down of why, but moreso what your experience has been as a comparison between the MDR-V6 and something else... like if the MDRV6 is a 10, how does the Audio Technica M50X compare, etc. I'm not really in the mood to splurge on super-expensive headphones... because well... they're going to be worn and will eventually wear out. So... a $1500+ pair of phones is right out of the picture.

Thanks for any input provided!

Jon

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 8
I just found this thread specific to MDR-V6 and the M50's... so perhaps don't need another comparison between those two, but I know everybody's ear and preference is different, so I still welcome input between those.

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Do you need closed headphones? Open headphones have the benefit of better soundstage. And, I personally find that my open headphones don't tend to heat up my ears as much, mostly because the ones I use have bigger cups.

However, really, good open headphones tend to be in the $150 to $200 range.

Also, what devices do you hook your headphones up to? Do you have a headphone amp?

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 8
  Well... I think the title says it all. I've been an owner of Sony MDR-V6 phones for almost a year now, and I absolutely love them - except after about 1 or 2 hours of using them my ears start to feel pretty hot. I know that is quite a while, but I still have to use them sometimes for a while with music when performing or recording, etc. 

This brings me to question on a similar price of $150 or less, are there any other headphones you are aware of that have a better sound and more comfortable muffs? I plan on using them for quite awhile in the future, so I'd want them to be well-built and have a pretty neutral recreation of the original intended music - no boosted bass or exaggerated highs.

I'm not looking for a detailed break down of why, but more so what your experience has been as a comparison between the MDR-V6 and something else... like if the MDRV6 is a 10, how does the Audio Technica M50X compare, etc. I'm not really in the mood to splurge on super-expensive headphones... because well... they're going to be worn and will eventually wear out. So... a $1500+ pair of phones is right out of the picture.

Sennheiser HD558 open headphones, Amazon have them new for $122.99, or save up to $25 buying used.
Less bass then then MDR-V6s, but otherwise should match or better the V6s in other areas.

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 8
zunehdrocks - thank you. I'll check out hose recommendations!

cel4145 - I prefer closed only because I like the noise isolation closed provides. I currently use my onboard headhone out on my PC, my cell phone, my Akai Pro EIE usb, and the sound equipment on stage when playing music.I do not yet have a headphone amp, but have been looking at the amps from Fiio only because of their reputation.

PurpleAngel - thank you for the recommendation. I'll check those phones out. I still own HD202s from a long time ago and always enjoyed them.

Jun 26, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 8
If you can't do open headphones, the HD558 won't work for you.

I'm hesitant to recommend any closed headphones to you based on how hot your ears will get because that is really a personal thing, so hard for me to say X will work better than the V6 in that regard. I do think the ATH-M50s a step up from the MDR-V6 in overall sound quality (have not heard the M50x).

NVX XPT100s are some uber comfortable headphones--way better in overall comfort than the V6s. These are the same cups and drivers--same sound--as the Brainwavz HM5 and Fischer FA-003 (same manufacturer rebranding the headphones). These sell for a good bit more that the NVX version (sonicelectronix seems to be selling much closer to cost). You can learn about how they sound here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585281/review-brainwavz-hm5-a-new-neutral-champ
http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back