How does the IE80 compare to the IE800?
May 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Eugguy

500+ Head-Fier
I've been a long time owner of the IE8 and currently IE80. I am on the verge of the IE800, however I would love if anyone who has experience with both the IE80 and IE800. I like the deep sub-bass rumble of my IE80s.

How does the IE80 compare the IE800 in terms of:

1. Bass? Mid-bass and Sub-bass?

2. Soundstage?

3. Anything else that makes the IE800 better over the IE80?

May 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 13
1. The IE80 has a lot more mid-bass than the IE800 does, which ultimately clouds the mid-range. Sub-bass wise it's the other way around, and because the IE800's bass focus is on the sub-bass, the mid-range remains unaffected. So does clarity.
2. The IE80 beats the IE800 in term of forward projection, but the IE800 offers depth that almost makes the IE80 sound 2-D. Imaging "angle" (sorry could not find any more proper word) is wider on the IE800, making for a more precise instrumental placement. 
3. I personally found the IE800 to be much better than the IE80 in most sonic regards. But also IMO the IE80's midrange presentation strikes quite a shocking resemblance to the IE800's, minus the added depth and resolution. I also think that the IE80's sound signature, with its warmth and excellent forward projection, is actually capable of bringing a better sense of immersion.

There are also the usability issues with the IE800 with its microphonic cable and the cable-down wearing style, so I do advise you to try them out first if you can to see if it's worth paying the premium and enduring all the hassle for sonic upgrades over the IE80.

May 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 13
Thank you 3nenbgumi for the reply. Is their anyway you could elaborate your opinions and impressions further bengrace?

Is thier any greater option for subbass than the ie800? (Other than what I own/have owned, from my profile)

If the IE800 is like the IE80 but with better subbass and soundstage, I would be interested.

May 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Is thier any greater option for subbass than the ie800? (Other than what I own/have owned, from my profile)

If you can wait another month I'd wait for comparisons against the upcoming Shure SE846.  The major innovation is how the low end is rendered and the price is the same.

May 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Thank you 3nenbgumi for the reply. Is their anyway you could elaborate your opinions and impressions further bengrace?

If the IE800 is like the IE80 but with better subbass and soundstage, I would be interested.

I can vouch for the sub-bass part. The IE800 is probably the hardest-hitting I have ever owned in this field. I have tried some really excellent bass-capable BA IEMs like the Triple.fi 10 and the PFE232 before, and while the PFE was about the IE800's level in term of impact, it was not much of a match when it comes to natural decay, an apparent advantageous trait of DD phones over BA.
From a technical POV I guess the IE800 has got better soundstage than the IE80 in most aspects except for forward projection. Personally I find that it's easier to get lost and be immersed in the massive soundstage of the IE80, but that's just me.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 13
I do not understand how these IEMs can have massive soundstage when I'm other forums I have been told that IEMs have practically no soundstage.
I'm confused, could someone elaborate. I'm looking for the best speakers for soundstage and imaging, whether it be IEMs or headphones.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 13
I am not an expert or very technical but I believe it has to do with the way the drivers are tuned.  At least with BA drivers if you can tune the decay to be a bit longer or stagger the decay of each of the drivers it gives the presentation a sense of "space" and "room."

It's not talked about much but I believe W3 was the first BA driver to really take advantage of this.  Perhaps the 3-way crossover helps too.

Just the simple fact that you can take an IEM that is projecting sound a few millimeters from your eardrum yet it can sound like you are 10-12 rows back is astonishing!

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for the response Spyro.
Presumably you have heard of JH audio's IEMs and their phase properties. Because of this would this create a better soundstage and improve imaging accuracy. Also what speakers do you own?

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 13
Presumably you have heard of JH audio's IEMs and their phase properties. Because of this would this create a better soundstage and improve imaging accuracy. Also what speakers do you own?

Open headphones will probably do a better job here feeling more out-of-head. Imaging can be a mixed bag with any headphone.

I recently heard a demo of the JH13FP. The imaging was very very precise, but maybe not as grounded as I would have personally liked. Soundstage was nothing miraculous in terms of size though.

People say the Sony EX-1000 (now discontinued) had a very "out of head" soundstage. Maybe you can find someone that would let you have a listen.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 13

I have not heard the new Freq Phase and I don't have any worthy speakers.  All my listening is done thru IEM's portable on the go  (or in my car 10 speaker Bose system.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 13
I do not understand how these IEMs can have massive soundstage when I'm other forums I have been told that IEMs have practically no soundstage.
I'm confused, could someone elaborate. I'm looking for the best speakers for soundstage and imaging, whether it be IEMs or headphones.

What I have had in my experience is that open headphones have out of the head and more spatial soundstage like you are in the room or hall where it is being performed,
on the other hand IEM's soundstage sticks within your head where you can place the instruments in that width and depth. In case of Sennheiser IE8 the width and depth feels bit wide unlike other IEMs and feels bit more out of the head, on some tracks the stage extends too far left or too far to the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back