How does the AH-D2000 compare with the Ultrasone 780?
Nov 15, 2009 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HiFiRE

100+ Head-Fier
How does the AH-D2000 compare with the Ultrasone 780?

I have the 780 and find them uncomfortable and boomy. After doing some reading the D2000 sounds interesting. Does anyone have experience with both?

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Straight out of the box the D2000 is the better sounding unit. After burn-in (both require massive amounts of over 400 hours) I still think the D2000 is the better one but they are closer.

Both of these cans need massive mods to sound their best, however with mods the D2000 pulls easily away from the HFI-780. When I say mods I mean they both need a re-cable and in the case of the D2000 the MarkL mods, maybe his wood cups if you want to take it all the way.

I tried thru the generosity of various headfiers three re-cables on the HFI-780. These were the S2 Audio, the ALO Jenna, and the V3 by APureSound. If money is an issue the re-cable by S2 Audio provides the biggest bang for the buck, but IMO the HFI-780 sound best with the V3 by APureSound cable. The re-cables depending on cable length and if you choose dual entry could range from about $150 to $400. The higher cost means a 10 foot long cable, with dual entry, and premium Furutech plug.

In the case of the MarkL mods you could do them for under $25 following the instructions posted by Mark Lawton. Or you could send him your cans for the mods, if you choose this option I would suggest you purchase a set of wood cups (about $225). The wood cups chage although noticeable is not as pronounced as the MarkL internal damping mods, however the wood cups also visually enhance the Denons.
wink.gif

I also found a cable that goes very nicely with the Denons. It is offered by Zynsonic as the XEV cable, a silver plated copper which would set you back about $150. IMO it is the biggest bang for the buck in the case of the Denons.

So in closing the Denon's would be my pick and as a minimum I would get a re-cable by Zynsonic using the XEV cable and I would perform the MarkL mods diy style. Note: If you prefer a warmer presentation Zynsonic offers an all copper cable by Cardas. This way your out of pocket would be under $200.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the D2000 have a similar sound signature to any other particular product line ie Grado, Sennheiser or Beyer?

Seemed ever so slightly Sennheiser to my ears as compared to the others.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm also in the same boat - debating whether to go with the d2000 or hfi 780.

My main souce is a 32gb iphone 3GS - my d1001 currently run fine, but after getting a pair of IE8 i want a pair of cans with a bit more detail and bass.

Also, would either pair require an amp on the iphone?

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seemed ever so slightly Sennheiser to my ears as compared to the others.

I have a set of D2000 sat here that I have been burning in the last 6 days. I also have a pair of HD600, that I've had for sometime.

Personally I found the D2000 to sound nasty out of the box, and sound nothing like the Sennheiser.

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 10
Had same question hifi 780 vs denon 2000 and I went for denon.
Prices on denon are pretty low and I've liked the looks better!
But think that they are close , it's a personal preference

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 10
Ultrasones work better for ipod, still not perfect without an amp. They aren't so comfy as denons, but not so big. Ultrasones are more fun to listen, IMHO. Design is a personal preference, but Denon are sturdier & confident to me (those plastic on headband in ultrasones is ok, but i don't like it). But both cans are great, especially after mod. 2000 with MARKL mod sound quite similar to d5000, recabled ultrasones like edition models. Need to listen both!

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, both Denon & Ultrasones are not Gradoish or Sennhaiserish :) They sound in their own way (good one)!

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentmeloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, both Denon & Ultrasones are not Gradoish or Sennhaiserish :) They sound in their own way (good one)!

What do you mean not Gradoish? Would you recommend Grados (in the same price range) over Denon 2000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back