How does Schiit Bifrost compare to original DacMagic?
Feb 16, 2013 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KLJTech

1000+ Head-Fier
In my office system I'm currently using the DacMagic with the Pangea P-100 power supply (feed via Canare 75 ohm coax w/RCA) and I'm wondering if the Schiit Bifrost DAC would be a worthwhile upgrade? If I bought the Bifrost I'd forgo the USB board and just continue to use the 75 ohm RCA S/PDIF input. 

The amps I use are either the Parasound A21 or A23 and currently I'm using a new pair of NTH Classic Threes (I'm liking these a lot) but I also have on hand a pair of B&W CDM 1NT's that may get put back to use at some point. HP amp is the Little Dot MKIII and HP's are AKG 701's and Grado SR 325i's. 

I must admit that I'm a little late to the party having just found out about Schiit Audio but after reading that Mike Moffat is aboard along with Jason Stoddard they've got my attention and I LOVE their no nonsense website. No hype, just honesty...imagine that!

Lately I've been considering the new Parasound Zdac for my office but now the Bifrost has me very curious as well. 

Thanks.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
The short answer is yes, the Bifrost is a worthy upgrade. For a longer answer, see my DacMagic/bifrost review on hionhifi.com.

Nice/ very interesting review of the Bifrost, digital has gotten so much better over the years that very enjoyable sound can be had for so much less than just 5-10 years ago. I usually use a less expensive DAC in my office (for the most part but not always) and keep the better gear in my living room. I know that the DacMagic is no world beater even with the upgraded PS yet I've still been able to really enjoy my music with it in my office setup.

I've moved the Benchmark DAC1 from my main system to the office a few times and the bass is more solid, soundstage is wider and deeper than through the DacMagic but at times the midrange seems a tad cold...at least through the B&W's...I haven't tried it with the NHT Classic Threes. 

Actually I had been considering the new Parasound Zdac for my office (to replace the DacMagic) and then I read up on Schiit Audio and found out who was heading the company and that got my attention right away. If Mike Moffat is building DAC's then I'm going to be interested.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to D/A converter designs yet their FAQ's and no B.S makes sense to me as does the Bifrost's fully discrete, low noise JFET design Analog section. I recall when many of us would pay someone to mod our DAC's or CD players to such a design. I know this can be found in other DAC's as well but at $349 this DAC sounds very interesting.  

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 10
I think you will be very happy with the Bifrost. I still use my older Dacmagic in my office system (Mac Pro, DacMagic, Audio Engine 2 mainly with MOG). I did bring the Dacmagic home once for a quick follow up against the Bifrost and it was clear the Bifrost was in an altogether different league.

I was so impressed with what you get from a DAC in 2012 for under $500 that I decided to try something considerably more expensive, a PS Audio Perfectwave mk II DAC. In part I was intrigued with aprodising minimum phase filters and what a more no-holds barred build would provide. While the PWD is a keeper and better than the Bifrost, the differences proved to be fairly small.

I suppose I need to bring my Bifost into my office and put the DacMagic out to pasture.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 10
In my office system I run the DacMagic RCA outputs via short DH Lab interconnects to a Creek OBH-22 passive unit and from there another pair of DH labs IC's take the signal to either a Parasound A23 or A21 (1 volt required for full output). I have to assume that the Bifrost will be just as capable to of driving the Parasound amp via the Creek as the DacMagic (w/Pangea PS). I've never heard/felt any loss of dynamics nor sparkle (hate to get technical <grin>) using the Creek passive, in fact I believe I hear more with it than with my old preamp.

I agree with you TubeDriver, better DAC's ultimately may give you a clearer soundstage with better delineation between players within said stage, maybe it'll provide you with a bit sweeter highs or more body to the midrange yet for the most part DAC's have gotten so good that many low cost units are still able to provide better sound that could be had 5-10 years ago for $2000. Even the DacMagic, though not a world beater is still capable of allowing one enjoy their music...I've just got an Itch now to try another DAC and I had my mind made up to get the new Parasound Zdac but Schiit Audio reeled me in with their no nonsense approach. Decisions, decisions. 

I just know that IF I buy the Bifrost and enjoy it that next I'll be wondering if my beloved Little Dot MKIII will "need" to be replaced with the Lyr. <grin> 

P.S

SO glad to see that the Bifrost uses an on board power supply rather than a wall wart...anyone know what type of transformer that is? Does it have any benefits over using a toroidal transformer? Thanks.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 10
The Bifrost looks to have a standard EI type PT. An EI type will typically be better at reducing HF noise coming from the AC outlet. It also should be ably to handle a bit of DC (while a toroidal PT will often hum when exposed to any DC). The downsides to an EI is that they are typically larger and run hotter than a similarly rated toroidal transformer. The Bifrost was dead quiet in my system (both through my system and also mechanically at the case.

The Bifrost had no problem driving my autoformer passive preamp and 5m of cable to my monoblocks.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
The Bifrost looks to have a standard EI type PT. An EI type will typically be better at reducing HF noise coming from the AC outlet. It also should be ably to handle a bit of DC (while a toroidal PT will often hum when exposed to any DC). The downsides to an EI is that they are typically larger and run hotter than a similarly rated toroidal transformer. The Bifrost was dead quiet in my system (both through my system and also mechanically at the case.

The Bifrost had no problem driving my autoformer passive preamp and 5m of cable to my monoblocks.

Thanks for the info, I read up a bit on this type of transformer (Google is a useful tool) before realizing that you'd posted an answer. Thanks again.

I had emailed an online store that carries both the Parasound Zdac and the Schiit Audio Bifrost (the two DAC's I'm interested in) and asked them if they'd heard both and which he/she preferred and why...not REALLY expecting a straight answer but I got one nonetheless. 

For what its worth: Yes, we’ve heard both units. They are both great units. I think that I would give the nod to the Parasound, but just by a little bit. It just seems a little more musical than the BiFrost. I think that the output stage is a little better. Either one would work great, but I like the Parasound.

Now keep in mind, that I fully understand that the salesperson is probably just doing their best to try and help a customer in anyway they can so I didn't bother to replay and ask HOW the Parasound's output stage was better than the Bifrost. <grin> If I hadn't already made up my mind to buy the Zdac a week or two ago I would have already pulled the trigger on the Bifrost but its taken a few days to warm up to the idea of a different DAC. I'm a fan of Parasound amps yet its hard not to like the idea of the Bifrost when you know the guys behind it and the fact that its upgradable. 

I'll probably order the Bifrost in the next day or two. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 10
I upgraded from original DACMagic to Bifrost. Blew it away, no contest. I upgraded the Bifrost to the Gungnir, another large leap in quality. I have a Matrix X-Sabre coming to take on the Gungnir to see who is the winner.

If it's an office rig, is the audio quality really all that important? Could something like the Magni/Modi stack do the job you need and take up a tiny footprint of space at the same time (as well as be exceptionally cheap)?

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 10
I put in a lot of hours in the office and especially later in the day I probably get to listen to music more there than when I'm not at work. My office is setup in such a way that I can slide my chair back from my work desk and by doing so it puts me right between both speakers that sit on stands, out from the wall on the other side of the room (perfectly listening position). I can do this and enjoy the music while still going through paperwork and getting things done. 

The only downside I have in the office system is that I have limited space in which I can place the gear itself (the speakers on stands aren't a problem). I need to be able to place my Creek OBH-22 passive on top of the DAC since I have no other tabletop space and I just found out yesterday that the Bifrost's case is a tad shorter in depth that I thought...the Creek passive is deeper than the Bifrost (I think it would still sit there just fine) but it would be tight making it fit. I'm already using a Little Dot MKIII as my HP amp in the office system...I may end up buying the Lyr but my only cans are the AKG 701, Grado SR 325i (Goldies) and the SR 60i's (not counting IEM's) so I'm not sure if the Lyr would be overkill or not. I know that the LD MKIII isn't the new darling of the amp world (and the Lyr is getting killer reviews) but I still enjoy mine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back