How Does HD650 Compare to Markl D5000?
Jun 8, 2008 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Jap

500+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]As the title reads, I am interested in knowing how the Sennheiser HD650 compares with the Markl-modded Denon AH-D5000? I am especially concerned with comparisons regarding resolution (i.e., details), soundstaging (or,perhaps more appropriately, headstaging), and neutrality/transparency. [/size]

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 60
I wonder why nobody has responded. Surely this is a common pairing, and/or surely lots of folks have both or have heard both.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 60
Yes. I would be curious about someone how had done a comparison
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 60
Seems to me that the general consensus on this question runs something like this:

1) HD650 < The Mighty R-10 (undisputed?)

2) Markl D5000 >/= The Mighty R-10 (claimed by some?)

If 1) and 2) are true, then 3) should also hold:

3) Markl D5000 > HD650

That's my meta-conclusion based on making my way through the D5000 modding threads. I'd guess that most who have had their D5000s modded will prefer them to the HD650s, but it would be interesting to see such a comparison, particularly a detailed and impartial one.

o

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to me that the general consensus on this question runs something like this:

1) HD650 < The Mighty R-10 (undisputed?)

2) Markl D5000 >/= The Mighty R-10 (claimed by some?)

If 1) and 2) are true, then 3) should also hold:

3) Markl D5000 > HD650

That's my meta-conclusion based on making my way through the D5000 modding threads. I'd guess that most who have had their D5000s modded will prefer them to the HD650s, but it would be interesting to see such a comparison, particularly a detailed and impartial one.

o

[size=medium]
I deliberately specified the criteria because I wanted to focus on those issues - resolution, soundstaging, neutrality/transparency - that were most important to me (and maybe others too). This is not necessarily a one-or-the-other type decision. Both may be worthwhile to have, depending on the differences between them.
cool.gif
[/size]

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]As the title reads, I am interested in knowing how the Sennheiser HD650 compares with the Markl-modded Denon AH-D5000? I am especially concerned with comparisons regarding resolution (i.e., details), soundstaging (or,perhaps more appropriately, headstaging), and neutrality/transparency. [/size]

Check with "Dreadhead" he's got both... and has the HD650s balanced.

Its my understanding he prefers the D5000s - more detail and soundstage, etc.

I know I do.

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]
I deliberately specified the criteria because I wanted to focus on those issues - resolution, soundstaging, neutrality/transparency - that were most important to me (and maybe others too). This not necessarily a one-or-the-other type decision. Both may be worthwhile to have, depending on the differences between them.
cool.gif
[/size]

My apologies -- I'm sure someone will chime in who owns both.

o

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 60
Well, I own both the HD650s and the D5000, and I just modded my Denons yesterday via the Markl Mod method. I haven't done any extensive comparisons yet, but my initial impression is the modded Denons beat the HD 650s in every way. Before the mod, I still preferred the Denons for their more engaging and energetic sound. The Senns just seemed anemic compared to them. However the Senns still seemed to have an open/spacious/effortless quality that I still really missed in the Denons. After the mod the Denons sound much clearer, much more open. Better detail, blacker background, much better controlled bass, much more balance sound. Except for the rather brittle and slightly sibilant highs, they're almost perfect.

Forgot to mention, my HD 650s have the Cardas cable.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 60
I'm lucky enough to own both the HD650 & the MD5000, both recabled with 3pin xlr's for the HR balanced desktop, so all my impressions are based on balanced use.

We all know the HD650's are dark and veiled but A-B'ing between these two its very apparent. The MD5000 are brighter and offer a more spacious sound which seems very natural and musical, compared to the Senn's. Detail and headstaging is slightly better with the Denon's and IMO they provide a more enjoyable listening experience overall than the HD650's.

In fact the only area in which my Zu cabled 650's beat the Denon's was with the bass, where it goes a lot lower and is tighter and more defined.

As strangelove has pointed out the MD5000 do suffer from some sibilance, i have read that it does go away with burn in, but my pair have over 250 hrs burn in time and it's still there, worth noting if you are intending to buy them.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 60
I'll agree with lisnalee. I don't have my HD650 recabled though, so I disagree about the bass part. The Denon goes much lower (or its just easier to notice)

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

In fact the only area in which my Zu cabled 650's beat the Denon's was with the bass, where it goes a lot lower and is tighter and more defined.

Hi lisnalee, this may be a case of too much stuffing of fiberloft in the ear cups that has over-damped the bass. The Denons should go lower than the Senns. Try removing it altogether and then compare again. Even with the miniscule amounts that I use, I am considering making the stuffing of the cups optional or no longer recommending it. By taking it out, yes, the bass can get a little over-emphasized on 5-10% of music, but the slight level of sibilance and brittle-ness of the highs (that is inherent in the D5000 driver) is improved a bit. By removing the stuffing, the highs relax a little and recede a tiny bit more into the background, decreasing the more noticeable effects of sibilance and brittle-ness that are the phones only weakness.

You might give it a try and see what you think. I'd love to get your feedback either way, whether you like it better stuffed or unstuffed. Cheers.

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi lisnalee, this may be a case of too much stuffing of fiberloft in the ear cups that has over-damped the bass. The Denons should go lower than the Senns. Try removing it altogether and then compare again. Even with the miniscule amounts that I use, I am considering making the stuffing of the cups optional or no longer recommending it. By taking it out, yes, the bass can get a little over-emphasized on 5-10% of music, but the slight level of sibilance and brittle-ness of the highs (that is inherent in the D5000 driver) is improved a bit. By removing the stuffing, the highs relax a little and recede a tiny bit more into the background, decreasing the more noticeable effects of sibilance and brittle-ness that are the phones only weakness.

You might give it a try and see what you think. I'd love to get your feedback either way, whether you like it better stuffed or unstuffed. Cheers.

Hi Markl,

I had stevenkelby do the mods for me while he was recabling them and was fairly certain he doesn't use a big pile of fiberloft in them. When i opened them there was only a very small amount of it, but it had been sucked up against the dynamat on the back of the driver and had become stuck to it, perhaps it was muffling it somehow
confused.gif

Anyway i removed it completely and it has made a big difference to the bass, it now crisp and defined. Its amazing how something so simple could have such an dramitic effect on the bass. Thanks for the tip

The change with the sibilance seems more subtle, it's still there but as you said it is a bit further back now and not as intruding. Still this is a very small complaint on what is one of the best headphones i heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back