How does ER4P sound when amped?
Dec 7, 2004 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I've read alot of comments about how the ER4S obviously sounds better amped, and the ER4P is the choice for unamped use, but how does the 4P sound when it's amped by something like a Mint or Meta42? I'm still looking into the Etys as an option and if I go that route, I'll most likely get the 4P, then later get the 4S adaptor, so I have a little more flexibility, rather than getting the 4S only and having no option to go ampless.

So can someone give some details as to how the 4P sounds when amped?

thanks!

Dec 7, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 13
I tried the er-4p w/ a pimeta, difference was negligible. At least to me.

Dec 7, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 13
I recently got a Xin SuperMicro for use with my Er4p and iPod.
The being able to use the line-out of the iPod with the amp has yielded much richer sound. Bass is better, overall presentation is better.

I also got a 75ohm adapter from Xin, which effectively converts the 4p into a 4s. At this point, I'm not sure which I prefer... the 4p sound or the 4s sound with this setup. The 4p has a fuller bass presence it seems, but it could be that I've just been used to hearing this for the last year or so, and the 4s is a bit different. I'm sure I could get used to the 4s sound, but I'm not certain I want to just yet.

So, in my case, yes an amp has helped bring out the best with my 4p phones.

Dec 8, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 13
How about the Meier-Audio Porta-Corda II? When I first used this amp with the Ety 4S and 4P my initial impression was how smooth and linear the frequency response became and bass was greatly enhanced. This unit runs on a 9V battery. I use a Ansmann chargable battery, 200mA and 8,4 Volts. The amp can be switched to class A mode when increased power consumption doesn´t matter. Then about 20 hours is the operating time for 1 accu-set. Now I use the same amp for UE10Pro and Grado RS1. With these phones I can clearly detect the great improvement in dynamic presentation.
Hope it helps...

Dec 8, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 13
Louder
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm using Er-4P with P-S Converter.
JMT Pimeta Amp,
www.jmtaudio.com

I have been using ER-4P for a year unamped before getting an Amp.
In my experience, the results for ER-4P amped are also night and day. A lot fuller bass. A lot thicker mid(Better Vocal), a lot more emotion involved, A lot less harsh(Less Brightness) with the high. It's great and worth it. But I haven't really heard it with different Amps.

The improvement will vary depending on the source, and the recording(Type of music, and quality of the song you are listening to), and of course the kind of Amp you use.

Dec 8, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 13
jlingo-
Did you mean that these were the differences of the 4P over the 4S, or the differences were due to amped versus unamped? I wasn't sure from your post-- but it sounds like a pretty marked difference!

Dec 8, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 13
Hi appar111,

I was talking strictly about ER-4P Amped and unAmped. And it's a dramatic difference in my opinion. You could check with www.jmtaudio.com I think he has some Pimeta that can be shipped for audition.

ER-4P when is used without an Amp, lacking emotion, weaker bass, a little harsh high end, less dynamic. For example if you are listening to people playing drums, without an amp you can only hear the drums. But with Amp you actually feel the drums being beaten.

What kind of music are you listening to primarily? ER-4P has a completely different sound characteristic compared to ER-4S. And it's a matter of preference and the type of music you are listening to.

That's why it's best to own ER-4P and then get the P-S converter, to get both sound characteristics.

Remember my opinion based on JMT PIMETA. I haven't heard using other amp such as Mint, CMOY, etc.

Try to listen to Elephunk(Black Eyed Peas) using ER-4P and with or without Amp. I was blown away by the sound improvement.

Dec 9, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo

What kind of music are you listening to primarily? ER-4P has a completely different sound characteristic compared to ER-4S. And it's a matter of preference and the type of music you are listening to.

That's why it's best to own ER-4P and then get the P-S converter, to get both sound characteristics.

Remember my opinion based on JMT PIMETA. I haven't heard using other amp such as Mint, CMOY, etc.

Try to listen to Elephunk(Black Eyed Peas) using ER-4P and with or without Amp. I was blown away by the sound improvement.

I listen to alot of rock and metal, but also alot of Prince and Bjork. If I went the Ety route, it would definitely be the 4P route, so that I have more options..

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 13
Rock and Metal, I think you would enjoy ER-4P more. more power, definitely less brightness and more bass. Get JMT PIMETA, I highly recommend it.

Although you may want to look into Shure as well. 5c I heard to possess rich bass and mid-range, most likely best for listening to Rock Metal or Dance.

I chose Etymotic because I'm also listening to a lot of Audiophile Quality Recording(Jazz, classical)so I need the clarity and detail of Etymotic.

Dec 9, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
So can someone give some details as to how the 4P sounds when amped?

I'd agree with K in stating that the difference is minimal, and I'd say it's for the following reasons: The P's treble is less pronounced than the S's, and the very low bass is somewhat obscured by the midbass hump. With the S, the high highs and the low lows are more apparent to the ear, and an amp makes a noticable difference in those areas.

My P amped with a Go-Vibe sound marginally better, but the difference isn't dramatic as with the S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back