How do you want your source switcher?
Feb 1, 2004 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry for posting two threads, but I thought a poll would be much more informative...

If you selected, "I don't want a switcher", don't tick any of the other options...

Please select ONE RCA input option.
Tick the mini jack option if you REALLY want a minijack input.
Tick ONE output option.
Tick ONE colour preference.

Feb 2, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 7
I have one source right now, and two amps I want to use with the one source. I'm using splitters right now.

I guess in the future, I will have at least two sources and three different amps, and would like to be able to switch between all of them in every combination. That way I don't have to unplug anything.

Oh, and I prefer clear anodized aluminum.

Are you thinking of making something?
wink.gif

-Ed

Feb 2, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Fiddler, you might as well throw a passive volume control in there! Or take a look at the bottlehead foreplay and offer your modding services. (http://www.bottlehead.com/) That would probably be ideal - it's cheap for something people are comparing to $2000-$4000 preamps. We could get real use out of it. Otherwise, I can see how your switchbox would be a nice complement to the foreplay or other preamp...but an extra box is unnecessary if you can work it into the foreplay.

Feb 2, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
Fiddler, you might as well throw a passive volume control in there! Or take a look at the bottlehead foreplay and offer your modding services. (http://www.bottlehead.com/) That would probably be ideal - it's cheap for something people are comparing to $2000-$4000 preamps. We could get real use out of it. Otherwise, I can see how your switchbox would be a nice complement to the foreplay or other preamp...but an extra box is unnecessary if you can work it into the foreplay.

Well I'm trying to keep costs down, and aiming it specifically at headphone amp users... I'm not sure how useful a passive volume control would be for this application.

Feb 2, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 7
If it's passive, forget the volume control. If anything, a gain boost would be better, but not for purists.

The fewer components in the signal path the better.

You're going to make it out of the best components possible, right?

Or at least have a budget version, and a cost no object version.

-Ed

Feb 2, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 7
My point was that he could consider making a full blown pre-amp in the form of a modded foreplay. If he added a "tape out" to the foreplay, it could be hooked up to a headphone amp with a minimum of components in the circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back