How do you use & maintain your heaphones?
Sep 24, 2008 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Akabeth

500+ Head-Fier
Since I have yet to come across this sort of thread in head-fi, I was just thinking how you guys like to maintain your headphones.

First class treatment? ruthless daily abuse...? etc.

I'll start with mine.

I happen to be one of those people who care about my things, but prefer to have the 'battle scars' (as many people have said before me: it gives character
biggrin.gif
). I don't mind a few scratches, dings and dents around the ear cups or headband. I find that keeping my headphones in a mint-like condition, or being touchy just because one is more expensive than the other becomes a PITA really quickly. Truth be told, I think all my headphones are meant to be replaced sometime down the road. I don't see myself using nor maintaining a single headphone I have right now 10-20 years down the road. Although that does not mean that I throw it around the room and yank the connectors by the cable... Again, I treat them well [size=xx-small]for the most part[/size]
ph34r.gif

That said, I usually leave all my full-size headphones in my work table because I use all of them daily. The 'next one' gets to stick around the headphone stand.
smily_headphones1.gif

How do you maintain yours?

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 48
The shures get put in their case and sung a bedtime song every day =) kidding about the song, they have to listen to my horrid guitar sing along time.

The k701s get the first-class treatment. Wash the hand and hair and face before touching them, the occasional compressed air for cleaning, and the headphone stand when not in use. I also ask them to leave the room for guitar time (another joke im not really that bad oO....)

Dave

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 48
...on my head...in the box...

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 48
I'm anal with everything. My cans get wiped down twice a day. The cups get washed twice a months and are set on top of my filter set to low that ionizes them while they gently dry. Really, I'm not kidding.

I make sure the cords never get twisted.

And am looking to add resealable sandwich baggies to the drivers to minimize dust while they hang out on their stand while not in use.

I also make sure the antennae get some TLC.

And I also clean the connector daily.

As I said. I'm anal. LoL

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 48
I hang up my K701 (and former cans, as well), by hanging them on a Koss hanger and letting them take care of themselves. Dust isn't going to harm anything, and when unused, they're as if floating in mid-space.

Like most, I keep the original box in my closet - but not the K701.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 48
* Use with care.
* Clean with a damp cloth at a regular basis.
* Store in a headphone cover (plastic bag) for daily use.
* Store in the flight case/wooden box when not used for a longer period.

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 48
SR80s- I'm currently at work, and they're beside me sitting on top of my laptop case on the floor. They get pretty banged around, the silver's completely flaked off.

SR325is- Sits on my bed's headboard, as it's the right height, distance from my computer desk and depth to serve as a headphone stand. Other than that, no special treatment.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 48
I use a headphone stand for my cans that aren't in use. I use my head for cans that are in use
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back