How do you store photos?
Sep 8, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 14
In a foot locker for my film stuff, getting ready to walk to Calumet in the next few weeks and pick up some negative sleeves to hold them all. As for digital copies, sorted by year/month/day and tagged if a major event on my laptop hard drive and backed up on a semi regular basis on an external hard drive. If you have a lot of pics. I would recommend using DVD R for storage capacity. I don't have a brand preference, I've used Fuji and they have worked fine. At least two back ups of everything and test your burned DVD/CD back ups.

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 14
I've kind of given up on maintaining optical disc backups of my pictures since my collection is over 50gb now. I just have it on several hard drives.

On my desktop computer, there are two copies on my C drive and 1.5tb media drive. That media drive is mirrored at work via rsync. I have a small laptop at home that houses a full backup I update every couple months.

I have a photo gallery on my website that has a lot of the better stuff and I also use my web hosting account to backup the full collection in a private folder.

The few film pictures I've taken are in a shoebox in my closet. The few of those I have any affection for have been scanned for the computer.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 14
If you can stand the fees, the best way is the Online storage service.
I am too cheap to pay for that service, so at the moment I am using double backup system (1 is in my PC HDD, then the second one is on the external HDD)

So every time I take new pictures I will load them to PC, and then duplicate them to external HDD. Should be safe enough unless there's a freak accident that damages both at the same time.

But it's also good to print out the best pictures you have. Apart from being extra precaution, viewing actual photograph in paper is different experience.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 14
I have them on a NAS and some of the newer ones on my PC's hard drive. The important stuff (like events and vacations) I go ahead and copy out to the NAS, so I do not lose them if my PC's HD crashes.

I also host photos on Pbase, but they are usually resized, so they do not have the original file.

I have thought about Carbonite (web storage), but I am worried about having everything out on the web. I have not ruled it out just yet, though.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 14
My ever expanding media library is backed up to a small Linux home server I built with 5x 1tb HDD's in RAID 5. Using mostly spare parts, the whole thing cost less than $500, has 4tb's of usable storage, efficiently servers up all my media, and allows me to sleep at night.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 14
If you have it stored in an external hard drive, is it recommended that you transfer it to another hard drive every 5 years since it can possibly wear out?

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope that 1.5TB is a redundant backup, that'd be a lot of data to lose.

Yeah. I keep a copy on my storage drive on the PC, and a copy of Flickr Pro which gives me full-size JPEG storage. 4000 pics and counting!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back