How do you shrink your heatshrink?
Jul 26, 2007 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

slag

100+ Head-Fier
Well, with heat, obviously... but I was wondering if anyone had a method that works particularly well. I've never used heatshrink before; I tried using a lighter, but it left ugly black scorch marks on the plastic.

EDIT: after digging through some threads I turned up with the search feature, it seems like a hair dryer seems to be a popular choice?

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 58
if you have a gas, or probably electric soldering iron, just get it close but don't touch it and it should shrink it right up

We have a heat gun though which is extremely convenient

Jul 26, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 58
Hairdryer for me. Sleeved all the wires in my PC with it, didn't take too long. Took longer cutting all the heatshrink to the right sizes and whatnot.

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 58
i use a lighter.

trick is not to burn 1 part too long...just wave the flame at the heatshrink (dunno if u get what i mean)

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 58
If you really get into it you can get heaters(like a blow dryer) especially made for this.

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 58
Heh, I just use my soldering iron, probably isn't the best thing but I don't use the tip and go further down the barrel, doesn't make perfect results but I'm too lazy to do anything else

Jul 26, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 58
A heat shrink gun is regularly on sale at Harbor Freight for less than $10. I've used one for over a year now - highly recommended:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35776 Online, it says $9.99 right now. My local store has it for $8.99.

In a pinch, you can visit your local hobby shop (if there is one anymore) and use a Monokote heat gun. You can order online from Tower Hobbies:
$12.99 for this one - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJD39&P=0
$13.99 for this one - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL498&P=0

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 58
I use a hairdryer at home but for portable use I use a lighter. Just wave the bottom part of the flame near the tube, with the tube and flame next to each other. Don't let the tip of the flame touch the heatshrink, I mean, don't hold the lighter directly under the tube, they should be next to each other. Holding the tube over the tip of the flame is where the black soot marks come from.

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 58
I agree with tomb... I have the same one. For years I used a hairdryer, lighter, soldering iron, etc. They work but you have a hard time getting it to shrink evenly (or not burn it), and it doesn't seem to shrink as tightly. The heatgun works so much better, and is so cheap at Harbor Freight when you catch it on sale.

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #13 of 58
Heatgun on 300ºC setting here. Hairdryers work ace too, but take a bit longer
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 58
I have a hairdryer that is too hot to use for it's original purpose. Even at that, it takes to long and doesn't do a good job. If I was doing a lot I would definitely get a proper heat gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back