How do you listen to your portable music?
Jul 9, 2010 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JxK

1000+ Head-Fier
How do you most often listen to your music when going portable? For me, it's usually be album (although I sometimes jump songs), although on occasion I use shuffle.

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 17
By song name, which you didn't include. My collection is large enough that this works similarly to shuffle (in the sense that the songs from the same artist/off the same album never play twice in a row) but with the added advantage of having all of my covers immediately following the original recordings. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 17
I typically do shuffle. The next most often is song and then album. Although when I'm on shuffle i do have a very quick trigger to the next song. I only have 8gb of songs for portable however and that's plenty right now since I'm asleep most of the time. Most of my portable listening is done on the bus or subway and the subway is like an instantly pass out for me.

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 17
By album. I used to hunt and create playlists, but going to vinyl a few years back changed me. I listen to entire albums now, whether analog or digital.

Jul 9, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 17
I do it by album, though I still use shuffle quite a bit. I used to use shuffle continuously, and then realised that it made me feel like I was going schizophrenic, as well as making me skip tracks because they didn't fit the mood of the previous song. A little distracting.

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 17
70% of the time - by album. I really like listening to all the songs from start to finish. I only put it on shuffle if i'm not as eager to take in the whole album experience (usually 10-15 lulls while waiting in line, etc.)

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 17
I usually listen by album. But, I always skip to the next track that I like in the album.
It feels like I finish it right away.

Jul 9, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 17
Shuffle... But I always wanna hear specific songs so I end up changing all the time. THough if I don't know what I wanna hear i skip tracks 'til I find something I wanna listen to atm.

It's a bit annoying :frowning2:

Jul 9, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 17
Most of the time by album but for artists with a lot of albums under their belt like Rush I pick my favorite songs and create playlists. Listening by albums I can get to appreciate the whole album and perhaps find something new I like. The downside is that some songs beg to be skipped. So then I might jump to a new album or a new artist instead. I seldom do that when I listen to playlists as it gives me more variation.

With playlists I get a good mix of the songs I like the best from an artist. I also like making playlists as it reminds me of my old cassette days when I spent a lot of time creating "best of" tapes.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #14 of 17
By Album sides.  Remember back in the 70's when you'd only play one side of an album, then go to another artist's album?  With CD's we got away from that.  I try to pick the first or second half of an album by number or length.  Occasionally I'll tag the A and B sides for ease.

Otherwise, the weird and wonderful world of the shuffle.  Some friends and I were drinking beers the other day and exchanging stories about odd shuffle transitions.  Three rain songs in a row.  Marianne Faithful's No Child of Mine to Bob Dylan's Forever Young. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 17
Depends what mood I am in, may just have one song playing on repeat for 2 hours...

Might run a playlist or play an album, everythings on repeat really...

If im walking through the city I pretty much always just shuffle looking for stuff...

Looking for quiet, always an album or playlist. Mostly playlists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back