How do you listen to headphones on your main rig?
Jan 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

johnnypaddock

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a question, as someone new to headphones.  Would it be possible for me to integrate headphone listening into my main stereo system?

My system:
Digital: Squeezebox Touch > PS Audio Nuwave DAC
Analog: Rega P5 turntable
Speakers:  Ascend Acoustics - Sierra Towers

Each source runs to a Rega Brio-R integrated amp, to the speakers.
The Squeezebox is connected to the Nuwave DAC with a coax cable.

I plan on picking up a pair of Sennheiser 600 or 650's for home listening, and would love to get into a tube headphone amp, like a Woo Audio or something.  I just have no clue how I could hook this up, along with the components I already have in place. The Brio-R has a pair of "tape out" jacks, but these are not line level pre-outs, from what I've read... I'm not sure that I understand this, exactly.

I suppose I would be willing to replace my DAC if necessary, to get one with a headphone pre-out or something, but I do like the Brio-R and would prefer to stick with it if possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much, as always.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi

I think the "tape out" will be a line out and that you can plug your headphone amp into those.

If I were you I'd email Rega to confirm.

For a headphone amplifier have you considered the Rega Ear?

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/Ear%202012.htm

I think it might be very nice :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 7
I don't have any first hand experience with that amp and admittedly I had to google it further... but I think your recording output can be used to send a line out to a headphone amp.  single ended of course.  The amp you chose have to be selected carefully to optimize circuit gain between the headphone and that recording line output level.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions... that sounds great to me. If I can use the "tape out" from the Brio-R, I can listen to both vinyl and high res. digital files.

When you say "single ended", do you mean using a Y connector from the amp outputs to the headphone amp input? If that's the case, I'm guessing that the quality of the cable will also make a difference.

Thanks again!

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions... that sounds great to me. If I can use the "tape out" from the Brio-R, I can listen to both vinyl and high res. digital files.

When you say "single ended", do you mean using a Y connector from the amp outputs to the headphone amp input? If that's the case, I'm guessing that the quality of the cable will also make a difference.

Thanks again!

When the term "single ended" was used I think it was meaning not balanced. You don't have any balanced connections I'm sure.

With regard to the issue of cable quality in any case I recommend using well constructed standard cables which are probably not very expensive. Avoid the many high priced cables advertised with nonsense pseudo-science or magical properties.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

When the term "single ended" was used I think it was meaning not balanced. You don't have any balanced connections I'm sure.

With regard to the issue of cable quality in any case I recommend using well constructed standard cables which are probably not very expensive. Avoid the many high priced cables advertised with nonsense pseudo-science or magical properties.

patrick is correct... you need a single ended amp NOT balanced.

FWIW... he is also correct (or at least I am in agreement) regarding cable voodoo.  I was using star quad and neutrix RCAs and DIY making my own with great results.  I downgraded to monster cable interlink (GAG) simply because the cabling was much more flexible exiting the RCA jack so I could bend them more easily and arrange my gear more easily on my nightstand.  But theres no difference in sound quality either way.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Oh, I see what you are saying about single ended vs. balanced. Makes sense to me. I know my DAC has balanced outputs, but I am using the standard RCA jacks because the Rega doesn't support the XLR cables.

Really great advice here... thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back