How do YOU cut a square hole into AL?
Nov 12, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done this with wood many times and am very comfortable around a table saw. I'm not sure I'd have the guts required to try this with aluminum. Here's why....

When cutting while feeding the material in the standard direction the blade cuts from the leading edge of the blade which is on the down stroke. this tends to hold the material down against the table. When cutting while feeding the material in the reverse direction, THE BLADE CUTS ON THE UP STROKE. This action tends to lift the material off of the table. Lift it enough and it will bind and be thrown out the front of the saw - really bad if you are cutting a sharp piece of (hard) metal as it will typically be thrown out the front of the saw and back at you. If you listen while cutting in the reverse direction you can hear the blade chatter as it lifts the material as each tooth hits the material. It is a distinctly different sound that the one produced when feeding in the proper direction. I'm not saying it can't be done, and I'll pretty much make any cut with a table saw as I have a great deal of experience with them, but if you make even the slightest mistake, you're gonna be in deep doggy.

You're correct and I won't argue it, but the aluminum is very soft and I've not found it to be a problem. I would however move the plate slightly forward from center before raising the blade, so that you can cut all the way to the back of the cut by raising the blade, and then only have need to move the plate forward to finish it. Just applying downward pressure has worked quite well for me though when I did need to cut backwards. But I'd always suggest using the tool you're most comfortable with.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #32 of 36
Thanks for the acknoledgement. As I said, I've great experience with many different table saws. It is clear that you do. I fear most don't have the necessary experience to safely atempt this.

One last thing. If you look at the geometry of this particular cut, you'll notice that the bigger teh diameter of the blade, the shallower the curve of the cut. While this method works well with a long cut, I doubt it would work at all with metal of any thickness combined with the short distances required for an IEC plug opening (on the order of 3/4" long). I've a saw that spins a 3-3/8" diameter blade. It could make this cut in a 2.5" tall panel that is 1/8" thick, but I'm sure you couldn't make this cut with a 10" blade without it showing on the edge of the panel.

Last time I made an IEC opening in a panel I used the drill press and followed it up with a scroll saw. It was a very effective method and I still have all of my fingers. Of course, it should be mentioned that the only serious injury I've ever experienced in my shop was from a drill press of all things. I never saw it coming.

RESPECT ALL TOOLS AND THINK EVERYTHING THROUGH VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE ATTEMPTING A NEW MACHINING METHOD.

A bit of fear of the tool will keep you safe. It's good to be a little concerned.

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #33 of 36
No one else uses a jigsaw? I use a square and a scribe to mark the cut, then clamp the piece to a workbench and drill a few holes to get the blade started in.

I cut just inside the scribe lines, then follow up with the file. Aluminum cuts fairly fast with a file and a little practice will give you very nice, clean holes.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #35 of 36
Well I made a square hole in AL!
biggrin.gif

Used my dremel with the flexible extension and a reinforced cutoff wheel. Much to my surprise I only needed 1 wheel. Note my IEC is actually more of a rectangle than a square so technically it is a rectangle hole.

I would highly recommend if you use a dremel to have the flexible extension, that made controlling the bit much easier.

I taped the entire panel with blue painters tape. Then marked out where i wanted the hole and triple checked my measurements with a caliper. Then using a razor cut out the tape where the hole will be. I cut just inside my measurements. Clamped the piece to my workbench. Then carefully cut along the metal edge with the dremel making sure to securely hold it with both hands. To my surprise it cut very easily and I actually made a pretty clean straight cut (no tape removed by the tool and no metal showing between the tape and hole). Of course at this point the IEC does not fit the whole since I cut just inside my measurements. About 5 minutes of file work and it fits.

Now to make all of the round holes
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back