How do I know if my external DAC uses USB power for "handshake"?
Jan 3, 2016 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dmbr

100+ Head-Fier
I use an Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition for my DAC, and for purposes of perfecting my USB chain I need to know whether or not it draws any power from the USB line for "handshake".

Google has failed me--could anyone assist me in finding out?

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Hrmmm that's a tough one, I just looked up the unit and theoretically it doesn't have to since it has a separate AC input. Plus these an optical input that requires separate power to function.

If I had to guess I would lean to that it doesn't rely on USB power to function but you'd likely have to contact ASUS to find out.

If you're worried about dirty power coming out of your computer's USB I would say it's a legit thing to be concerned about, do you have an optical out of your computer?

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Hrmmm that's a tough one, I just looked up the unit and theoretically it doesn't have to since it has a separate AC input. Plus these an optical input that requires separate power to function.

If I had to guess I would lean to that it doesn't rely on USB power to function but you'd likely have to contact ASUS to find out.

If you're worried about dirty power coming out of your computer's USB I would say it's a legit thing to be concerned about, do you have an optical out of your computer?
Thanks very much for the reply.

I do have optical out, but I'm pretty heavily invested in USB, which is largely why I want to know this tidbit.

I have an iUSB and iPurifier2--the iPurifier2 is best put last in the chain (plugged into DAC) if the DAC does not "handshake", while the iUSB is best put last if it does "handshake", according to iFi.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks very much for the reply.

I do have optical out, but I'm pretty heavily invested in USB, which is largely why I want to know this tidbit.

I have an iUSB and iPurifier2--the iPurifier2 is best put last in the chain (plugged into DAC) if the DAC does not "handshake", while the iUSB is best put last if it does "handshake", according to iFi.

Interesting, I have an iUSB which I use for my work setup after I moved my home setup to optical.

Curious why the order matters if they both are situated in between the same main powered components

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 6
I use an Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition for my DAC, and for purposes of perfecting my USB chain I need to know whether or not it draws any power from the USB line for "handshake".

Google has failed me--could anyone assist me in finding out?

As the Essence One Muse edition already runs off A/C power, can't see a good reason for the Essence One to also get power thru USB.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 6
Interesting, I have an iUSB which I use for my work setup after I moved my home setup to optical.

Curious why the order matters if they both are situated in between the same main powered components
The statement explaining why (briefly) from the iFi rep is in the iPurifier2 thread, I think.

I'll try to do some digging for it later, rather than misquote now :wink:

Edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784983/ifi-ipurifier-2-reviews-impressions-and-discussion-thread/135#post_12181467
Hi,

Correct, the iUSB (original) and iUSB3.0 both (among other things) generate their own clean power. So place this last in the chain.

This is why some people with the Gemini cable place the audio at the PC and power at the iUSB. It never touches the PC power.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back