How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #2,281 of 3,657
You sound like an asshole.
Unfortunately it can feel that way to newcomers in this forum who don't know or don't understand the reasons, the background and the history.
Very short the main points:
-We know for a fact that uncontrolled subjective listening is unreliable because human hearing perception is actually done by the brain not just using pure sound stimuli but also influenced by just about anything going on in the brain, input from other senses like what you see, what you think, what you know, what you expect, how you feel, etc. etc. It can even make you hear night and day differences where there is no audible difference.
-We know that because of the previous point - and often in combination with misleading or factual incorrect marketing - numerous factual incorrect convictions are widely accepted as "facts" in the audiophile community.

Just take a look at the thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths.486598/ for examples.

So it should be clear that believing someone on his word that he heared this or that is not the way to gain reliable knowledge. And the problem is not so much to believe what he heared, but we don't know what of what he heared is due to audible sound and what is due to something else.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #2,282 of 3,657
You sound foolish. You're attitude is because you are insecure. Stop looking at "frequency charts" and listen......
Because your ears are better than the fundamental instruments used to measure audio whether it be in electrical signals or as disturbances of the fluid we call air. I trust an analyzer more than my ears when evaluating audio and use my ears to listen to the result, but not to make any kind of decision.
As they said previously, you need evidence to support your argument over here.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #2,283 of 3,657
Because your ears are better than the fundamental instruments used to measure audio whether it be in electrical signals or as disturbances of the fluid we call air. I trust an analyzer more than my ears when evaluating audio and use my ears to listen to the result, but not to make any kind of decision.
As they said previously, you need evidence to support your argument over here.
uh, huh

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #2,284 of 3,657
Even Crinacle, the king of IEM measurements asserts that cables make a difference to sound. I'll take his experience listening to over 833 IEMs in different configurations over an anonymous person post on a message board.

Ah, yes. @crinacle, who wrote this article on cables, in 2019, also happened to write "I’m sorry for making fun of cable believers last year" in a follow-up article exactly one year later. Both articles were written on April 1st as jokes and neither should be taken seriously. Yes, I would not take that "apology" seriously.

So yeah, everything in that 2019 "April Fool's" cable post is more or less false or accurately reflects the opposite of @crinacle's feelings on the matter.

Since you'll take @crinacle's experience on the matter, the conclusion is simple: cables don't make a difference*. I tagged the fellow here, so if I'm dead wrong, the king of in-ear fidelity can chime in and eviscerate me in a semi-public setting.

*unless the cable is f'd up

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #2,285 of 3,657
I'll take his experience listening to over 833 IEMs in different configurations over an anonymous person post on a message board.
And I’ll take empirical data rather than experiences and appeals to authority. Cables just don’t make any difference within the threshold of hearing. Is that really that hard to understand when there’s graphs showing the “differences” and how minimal they are, if they even exist.

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #2,286 of 3,657
Cables are the worst thing in this hobby imo. The amount of wasted time effort and money is stunning.
Well, that's your opinion. I love having a soft, non microphonic cable with quality connectors and a nice weave and split. It's a great statement to a beautiful headphone I own and I enjoy very much.

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #2,288 of 3,657
Cables are the worst thing in this hobby imo. The amount of wasted time effort and money is stunning.
It would suck to have your gear, if you can't hear the difference. Just saying

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #2,289 of 3,657
AHEM!
You people have the burden of proof. Post proof or this is considered placebo.
Dude your wallet is the the proof. You spend the money and like and keep the purchase, good purchase. You don't like the purchase and return the gear, bad purchase. Do it again till you get it right. If you need scientific proof if something works, this may not be the hobby for you. You are over your head.

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #2,290 of 3,657
If you need scientific proof if something works, this may not be the hobby for you.
If you want fidelity to the source, you need to have proof (measurement data or other type of empirical data) that the equipment you are using is faithful to the source. Ears are not enough to determine this.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #2,291 of 3,657
If you want fidelity to the source, you need to have proof (measurement data or other type of empirical data) that the equipment you are using is faithful to the source. Ears are not enough to determine this.
For you............. You don't speak for everyone. If you truly believe that create a mini meet and show people with their gear that cables don't make a difference. Don't just talk about it, Do it, show the world you are right! Show me that I'm wrong please. I will bring my cables..... What do I know? only done it several times at the meets in Seattle

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #2,292 of 3,657
Don't just talk about it, Do it, show the world you are right! Show me that I'm wrong please.
Logically, the burden of proof is on you to show us that we are wrong since you are the one making the positive claim that cables are audibly different. I’m in the null hypothesis position, it is the alternative that must be proven.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #2,293 of 3,657
Dude your wallet is the the proof. You spend the money and like and keep the purchase, good purchase. You don't like the purchase and return the gear, bad purchase. Do it again till you get it right. If you need scientific proof if something works, this may not be the hobby for you. You are over your head.

Do you see the irony in your comment ?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #2,294 of 3,657
Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #2,295 of 3,657
Logically, the burden of proof is on you to show us that we are wrong since you are the one making the positive claim that cables are audibly different. I’m in the null hypothesis position, it is the alternative that must be proven.
1618457685814.png

Pretty sure the primary claim in this thread is that audio cables "DO NOT" make a difference :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back