How do I address a judge?
Mar 9, 2004 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
I'm attending a court case tomorrow and will be standing in front of a judge. Im not in trouble or anything but I need to know the following.

How do I address the Judge? Is it correct to call him YOUR HONOUR or just simply SIR?

Help
confused.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 47
All I know about court of law is what I've seen on Judge Judy.
biggrin.gif

She seems to get really b*tchy when people don't address her as "Your Honour"... hehe... (I know, not entirely helpful.)

Anyway, good luck man! I pray that everything goes well for you.

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
I'm attending a court case tomorrow and will be standing in front of a judge. Im not in trouble or anything but I need to know the following.

How do I address the Judge? Is it correct to call him YOUR HONOUR or just simply SIR?

Help
confused.gif

Mein Führer.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 47
In the U.S. of A. we address the judge as "your honor" which sounds the same as "your honour"
biggrin.gif

But, you may wait to hear from somebody closer to home before going with that idea.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 47
Wow
biggrin.gif
Thanks guys. What a speedy reply that was.

I think i'll go with Your Honour rather than Mein Fuhrer. Hopefully this judge will be on my side.

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Wow
biggrin.gif
Thanks guys. What a speedy reply that was.

I think i'll go with Your Honour rather than Mein Fuhrer. Hopefully this judge will be on my side.

In Germany, I think it is still mein fuhrer. Since you think the judge will be on your side, how about "your side-ness"

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
In the U.S. of A. we address the judge as "your honor" which sounds the same as "your honour"
biggrin.gif

But, you may wait to hear from somebody closer to home before going with that idea.
wink.gif

That's right. The first time I did moot court in law school, I kept addressing the acting judge with "Madam." The judge was kind enough to put up with my ignorance (and nervousness).

Here in the US, you may address the judge by his/her title followed by last name(ex., "judge Edwards) or simply by the honorific "your honor." I suspect the tradition is similar in common law England.

If possible observe how others in the courtroom address the judge and follow suit. Keep in mind that judges have personal idiosyncracies and some might prefer one form of address over the other. Ask the clerk or officers in the court how you should address the particular judge you are appearing before. They should be happy to point you in the right direction.

Have fun.

Mar 9, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 47
Mick,

Since your a witness and not a lawyer just listen to how the two attorneys address the judge, and copy them. They know the proper ettiquite for your area and will not want to tick the judge off by doing something stupid like addressing him/her incorrectly. Pay close attention to the lawyers and you won't go wrong.

Mar 9, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 47
"Wig-master-General" if they're wearing those white bird's nests from the 17th century I see on UK TV. You're not the accused right? Unless that 'contempt of court' thing has you worried.

Mar 9, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Mick,

Since your a witness and not a lawyer just listen to how the two attorneys address the judge, and copy them. They know the proper ettiquite for your area and will not want to tick the judge off by doing something stupid like addressing him/her incorrectly. Pay close attention to the lawyers and you won't go wrong.

Actually, it's myself who is taking my former employer to court.

My bloody useless solicitor has let me down and i'm having to stand for myself. It's all been a last minute rush to get things sorted.

Luckily it's not a main hearing, just a directions hearing so it's not so bad but i'm still crapping myself
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

My bloody useless solicitor has let me down and i'm having to stand for myself. It's all been a last minute rush to get things sorted.

That's incredible (and terrible). It is illegal in the US. You may need to file a second suit for legal malpractice!

Good luck, Trawlerman!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back