how detrimintal is an RCA to mini adapter to sound quality?
Oct 7, 2002 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Aboogwa

New Head-Fier
Will the use of such an adapter to connect a normal interconnect to a mini jack degrade sound quality by a noticeable ammount?

And more importantly, can it possibly introduce Radio interference on a shielded cable?

Oct 7, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 12
I use an RCA to mini adapter to connect my META42 amp to my CDP. When A/B ing the sound between the mini input of my CMOY amp and using the RCA inputs on the same amp, I did detect a slight degradation of sound. It wasn't much, but it was there. If you are using an adapter cable, the degradation will be worse.

Can't help you on the RF issue.

Oct 7, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 12
Is there a recommended adapter to get or is ratshack where I'm headed?

Biggie.

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 12
I got mine at rat shack. Not to sure of any "high-end" alternatives. Sorry.
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

how detrimintal is an RCA to mini adapter to sound quality?

It can't be much worst than going from a good CDP to a PCDP so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Oct 10, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 12
I assume you're talking about a stereo cable here, right?

There are high-end alternatives. The Kimber cable that HeadRoom sells is supposed to be good. (Something to spend you gift certificate on, andrzejpw!) I've heard good things about the Bolder version and a couple other makes, too -- there are threads on this topic around if you feel like searching.

kerely

Oct 19, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 12
I used the ratshack with gold tips and then switched up the to kimber. To tell you the truth I didn't hear anything at the beginning. I was going from my pcdp to my RA-1 and CHA47. After a while, say 200 hours, I did notice that the sound was smooth, really really enjoyable even though it was a pcdp. I didn't think anything of it until I swapped cables. Oh, there it was...a harshness I had become accustomed to but that had disappeared when the kimber had broken in. Was it worth $80 Canadian for it vs. the $12 at Radioshack? Hmmm, at the time I didn't really think so but I had money to burn it seemed. Now, in retrospect what do I think? If your pcdp is going to be a main listening front-end and you have a fairly good amp (no use spending more on a cable than the amp itself) then I would recommend it. My main cdp is getting modded right now, so the pcdp is all I have and I am pleased the signal is running through the kimber.

Oct 19, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 12
I've been using a homebuilt RCA to mini. Silver Sonic BL-1 cables, Cardas RCA plugs, Switchcraft mini plug. My Kimber sits around with nothing to do...

Oct 19, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Hey, this thread is supposed to be about an adapter, not a cable!

Anyways, I purchased my rca-mini adapter from radio shack and am now just awaiting for the rca-rca cable to arrive... which I can't use yet. :p

Biggie.

Oct 19, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 12
But the cable is just a slightly longer, wiggly, adapter!

Anyway, let us know how things work out.

I have a ratshack 1/4 to mini adapter which doesn't seem to do any sonic harm....

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Maybe send that Kimber my way, Hirsch. ...

kerely

I have one ironclad rule about anything that involves my work with a soldering iron: always, always, have a backup for it
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back