How can I determine the at ear SPL of In-Ear Monitors?
Dec 19, 2014 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

romnation

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using the Shure SE846s with the AK240 DAP, and was wondering, is there any possible way to determine the at ear spl? I did some searching and found some threads from a few years ago, but no real good answer to this question. My hearing already isn't the best and I want to avoid damaging it even more by playing at too high of an SPL level. I did find this, but it is not compatible with the SE846s:

http://www.sensaphonics.com/sensaphonics-upgrades-db-check-in-ear-sound-level-analyzer

Surely there must be someway to determine SPL. Anyone have any ideas? 

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 3
  I'm using the Shure SE846s with the AK240 DAP, and was wondering, is there any possible way to determine the at ear spl? I did some searching and found some threads from a few years ago, but no real good answer to this question. My hearing already isn't the best and I want to avoid damaging it even more by playing at too high of an SPL level. I did find this, but it is not compatible with the SE846s:

http://www.sensaphonics.com/sensaphonics-upgrades-db-check-in-ear-sound-level-analyzer

Surely there must be someway to determine SPL. Anyone have any ideas? 

You can get a rough (very rough) idea by installing one of the sound pressure level apps on your smartphone and holding / pushing it up to the mic, of course this isn't accurate but gives you a ball park to play in. There's also sound level meters you can buy on eBay or amazon for quite cheap. As for something completely accurate I imagine you'd need IEM measuring tools which cost a fortune. Of course, stay open to other members opinions too, I am but one person.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 3
Personally I would match the sound by ear with some speakers and test the volume from that. Not sure about the accuracy of apps though. I had three of the apps to test the volume I was listening at and they said 65, 73 and 85 or so. A 20db difference is huge. 

So if you want to get the actual volume of how loud you are listening at you might have to buy a SPL meter. Seems like a bit of a waste to get one purely for that though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back