how about headroom micro dac
Oct 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aphroti

New Head-Fier

I have er4b and ie8 and want to try a dac
i saw headroom micro dac works on mac but i'm not sure wether the dac works well with the two ear phones above
any suggestions?

thanks!

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 8
I believe the Micro DAC is an non-amplified DAC so you will need something to

Why not spend $80 more and get a CENtrance DACport which is a really nice DAC with a built in amp stage?  This way you have a sleek DAC and amp combo that will drive other headphones as well whereas the Micro DAC will definitely need an amp to drive more beefy headphones.  This will save you money in the long run.
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/centrance-dacport.php

Here is a review for the DACport:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/centrance-dacport-usb-headphone-amplifier-page-2

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 8
I also have the 2006 MicroDAC. It has amazing detail but I find the Cirus Logic DAC chips to be a bit cold. There is no arguing though with Headrooms pursuit of excellence. It is a very sophisticated DAC for the price.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 8
MicroDAC is a good component, and I am currently using it in my desktop setup, modded to accommodate OPA627 (suberb results), paired with a GilmoreLite.

However, my experiences with using it in a portable rig are somewhat different. The amp is battery hungry, and what's worse is that it drains one battery far, far faster than the other. So there I was, carrying around 4-6 9v rechargeables, Swapping the R battery into the slot for the drained L, trying to keep tabs on drained ones vs chargeds,.. it got tiresome after a while, and the rig was quite large to begin with (SR-71).

If I were to get a portable DAC now, it'd be one with its own rechargeable battery so I'd have none of that incessant swapping, at least once a day, sometimes twice.

But for a desktop unit, with its full +/- 15V swing, it sings baby!

Oct 29, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
MicroDAC is a good component, and I am currently using it in my desktop setup, modded to accommodate OPA627 (suberb results), paired with a GilmoreLite.

However, my experiences with using it in a portable rig are somewhat different. The amp is battery hungry, and what's worse is that it drains one battery far, far faster than the other. So there I was, carrying around 4-6 9v rechargeables, Swapping the R battery into the slot for the drained L, trying to keep tabs on drained ones vs chargeds,.. it got tiresome after a while, and the rig was quite large to begin with (SR-71).

If I were to get a portable DAC now, it'd be one with its own rechargeable battery so I'd have none of that incessant swapping, at least once a day, sometimes twice.

But for a desktop unit, with its full +/- 15V swing, it sings baby!

I had the same battery problems.  Currently I'm using mine as my main computer's soundcard with the AC adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back