Houston Head-Fi Meet #2 on October 17
Aug 14, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #16 of 201
Perhaps we could change the wording to "suggestion donation to cover the cost of the room...." or something like that.

I am certainly to throw in extra to make sure the cost of the room is covered.

By the way, CanJam does have an admission fee to cover costs (minimal of course and it is less for students). I am not saying we should follow this model, just pointing this out since it popped into my head. I certainly don't want to turn this thread into a debate about whether CanJam should or should not have an admission fee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys I hate to be a bummer, but since I'm the first to raise questions about finances and exclusions in this meet thread...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/l-...r-17-a-439527/

I think it's important that we be very open about things here, and try to follow the tradition Head-Fi "Any member is welcome" philosophy in our meet.

With Orcin at the helm I think that's quite simple to do.

As far as those members who might not be able to attend due to lack of funds, I'd suggest a kitty to be collected and used for extra attendees that might be strapped for cash.

I'll be the first to pledge to donate two extra admission fees to be used in such a way.

If the kitty has any leftovers we could simply donate them to Head-Fi.

Does that sound reasonable? Any thoughts either way?

Nate: that is super nice of you! Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you guys need help covering meet costs just shoot me a PM and I'll send Steve a set of IC's to bring to the meet to either raffle or auction.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #17 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys I hate to be a bummer, but since I'm the first to raise questions about finances and exclusions in this meet thread...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/l-...r-17-a-439527/

I think it's important that we be very open about things here, and try to follow the tradition Head-Fi "Any member is welcome" philosophy in our meet.

I am unable to access the linked thread. Could someone please tell me where to find it or explain what it says?

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #18 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am unable to access the linked thread. Could someone please tell me where to find it or explain what it says?

Hmm... seems to be gone. I didn't really pay attention to it, I remember something about a really high admission fee because the room was like $1000 or something. Perhaps we should just ignore the other thread and focus on making our meet inviting to all and making sure that Ken doesn't have to pay for the room on his own.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #19 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The thread is gone, but essentially it was for a meet where the organizer was asking for people to pay admission up front. It is currently up for discussion whether or not to allow meets that are promoted through head-fi (excluding CanJam) to charge a fixed admission prior to the event. This has never been done before and sets precedents that need to be discussed by the powers that be.

Shelly has the right idea though, don't worry much about that thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is currently up for discussion whether or not to allow meets that are promoted through head-fi (excluding CanJam) to charge a fixed admission prior to the event. This has never been done before and sets precedents that need to be discussed by the powers that be.

Wrong, it has been done before. We did it last year.

We needed a place to have a meet. I checked into our community clubhouse. As a resident, I can rent the clubhouse under 2 conditions:

1. I pay a $500 security deposit at time of reservation, refundable after the event if there are no damages to the facility.
2. I pay a $150 non-refundable rental fee at time of reservation.

I am willing to cover the $650 for two months out of my own pocket. Last year, I asked people if they would be willing to share the rental fee with me, and enough people agreed at $15 each that I was able to cover it. I think it is fair that I do not have to pay for a venue to have the meet. The alternative is to organize a smaller meet that can be hosted out of my home or ask someone to find a free venue. I tried and could not find a suitable venue that was free.

I am attempting to organize this year's meet under the same parameters. I estimated 15 people at $10 each to cover the cost. I don't think this is too outrageous. If you can afford the gear, you can probably afford $10 admission. No one who actually attended the meet last year had any problem with it, or at least they didn't indicate a problem.

If Head-Fi is not willing to let us advertise our meet this way, then I will close the thread. Perhaps one of these "powers that be" could let me know. Are you a moderator, by the way? Or were you planning to attend the event? I'm just curious as to your interest in this issue. EDIT: I see that you are a moderator, so I presume you will be able to close the thread if needed.

I am glad that I haven't paid the rental fee yet. I will hold off until we get this settled. Please consider this meet "tentative" for now.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #21 of 201
Hi Ken,

I would like to suggest we change the "admission fee" to a "suggested donation" of $10 or $15 to cover the cost of the room (any extra will be returned and/or given to head-fi). I am sure that we will be able to get enough people willing to help pay for the cost of the room in order to have the meet. If not, I will cover the difference and we'll try to find some other place that is free or doesn't cost as much next year - like a library or something like that.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #22 of 201
I'm with Shelly, it's fine if someone asks for donations up front to cover meet costs but it should not be a requirement to pay to attend any meet outside CanJam. As I said I'm not the final authority on this, I'm just offering my opinion as a member. I hope I have not muddied the waters and my offer to help offset the meet costs is still open.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #23 of 201
I have given this some thought, and I think our meet will stay the way it was originally advertised. We need to charge an admission fee for several good reasons.

I don't wish to manage a pool of donations and decide who needs to pay extra and who needs a freebie. That's way too much effort for $10. I also don't want to run a raffle. We are coming together to share our music and our headphone rigs, and that should be the focus for our energy and planning.

So thanks for the suggestions, but I think we are good to go the way that it was organized, i.e. with a $10 admission fee required.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of you that have sent me PM's to say they are coming. It should be another great day!

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #24 of 201
Ken, one of the real issues I had with the other thread was that an entry fee was being charged to everyone that attended. Now I have no problem with covering the venue cost at all, but by doing the math there would have been a $700.00 surplus. I had issue with that. Meets should never be for profit. When asked if the surplus funds would be donated to Head-Fi my post was answered with a bristled reply that answered nothing. And it was admitted that he did have some leftover funds from his previous meet. However he refused to answer any financial questions with a non evasive reply.

That is not, and has never been the case with Houston meets, but I just wanted to clear the air and have everything in the open, so as to avoid any backlash.

I think the last Houston meet worked out great, and see no need to change anything. Although I would like to make it known that anyone who'd like to attend, but can't afford the entry fee need only to contact me. I'd be glad to help, as others have made it known that they would too.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #25 of 201
I'll pay $50.00!

wink.gif

Jus kiddn, SWT61 ... I understand your points and think they are good. And I'm also available to help with any poor sods who can't choke up $10 dollars (I think you cleaned my windshield today). LOL.

Can't wait for the meet. Just pimped it to my local friends on Facebook. Also hit up Vic Trola (of Pacific Valve Audio fame) for door prize donations, etc.

See ya'll there.

beerchug.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #26 of 201
(blush) ...

I just waded through the previous posts in this new thread.

Man .. wherefore all the drama, ya'll.

Meets can cost $$$ yo. I'm 100% in support of asking folks to send money in advance to help cover the costs.

Maybe there's some protocol issue with this being a public forum and all but nice spaces to hang in for get together's like this most often cost some coin. So get over it already.

I'd much rather cough up 10 bucks for a fly clubhouse meet before I'd ever join my fine head-fi brethren at a library for christs sake.

And no. I'm not much of a Meet Whore(tm). Not really interested in them outside of one's we have here in my town. But I sure hope we can all get together in October ... see no reason for things to be "tentative." Hell, Ken ... if it's an issue, I'll split the rental fee with you right now. Just let me know.

Rock on, ya'll.

(I hope I was pleasantly offensive enough)

:wink:

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #27 of 201
Glad there is peace back in the house.
peace.jpg

I am excited about October and hope I have enough time between now and then to choose which test albums to take! Life is tough...
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #28 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad there is peace back in the house.
peace.jpg

I am excited about October and hope I have enough time between now and then to choose which test albums to take! Life is tough...
tongue.gif

LOL.

"Tentative Shmentative!"

Jeezus ya'll.

Lets just get together and rock, yo.

beyersmile.png

(and please forward a money order in the sum of $20000000 dollars to my Head-fi account user address).

(sorry).

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #29 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Tentative Shmentative!"

Did you miss the post where I said the meet was still on?
popcorn.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #30 of 201
I hope to be able to come. I don't have a ton of gear to bring, but I'll bring what I've got - AKG K501, Audio-Technica ATH-EW9, and Audio-Technica ATH-CK100. Also, assuming I finish building by then and everything works, the AMB Gamma2 DAC, Mini^3 amp, M^3 amp, and CK2III amp. My sources are currently limited to a beat up old turntable, a computer with a pretty good sound card, a PS3, and a Cowon D2 - I doubt anyone is terribly interested in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back