Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Mar 23, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #1,591 of 2,194
Here's my latest X-Fi Elite (SB0550) mod:

Replaced the on board 78M05 (VR1 and VR4) to Motorola LM317T w/ 10uf Cadj for best ripple rejection. The RMAA score does not improve much. This is as expected since the mod is already pushing to top ceiling of the DAC/ADC capability. The sound testing yields better dynamics and slightly better detail in certain records.

However, this does not fix my SB0550 (first release no heatsink on DSP chip) stereo crosstalk issue in 24-bit recording. Suspect this is either a firmware issue or PCB layout issue. Sigh...

Had to replace one of the original omron relay, the soldering iron accidentally touched it when add LM317T to board. The pinout of LM317T and 78M05 are different, so need to flip the IC orientation and jump the Vout wire. C52 and C55 have to change to lay down position. Added grounded copper foil on DAC and ADC chip.

2353485422_ba9c916f69_o.jpg

2353485360_bc29dffbaf_o.jpg

2352654219_47a0a88850_o.jpg

2352675397_0b449cd396_o.png

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #1,592 of 2,194
Does anyone know of someone who would be willing to mod my card??

I have never soldered anything in my life. I recently purchased a X-FI XtremeMusic card and would like to mod it, but in no way trust myself.

Can anyone help me out?

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #1,593 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by EBisky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of someone who would be willing to mod my card??

I have never soldered anything in my life. I recently purchased a X-FI XtremeMusic card and would like to mod it, but in no way trust myself.

Can anyone help me out?

i could do it, but you pay for shipping...

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #1,596 of 2,194
Mar 25, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #1,597 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Murderer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's the same chip, just rated for higher voltage. go ahead and use the 49860 if you want.

Groovy.

I just found this thread thanks to a link from Sharky Forums , and I wanted to say that since switching to the X-Fi I've been disappointed with the sound quality, even compared to my old SBLive! 5.1 card.

I'm hoping that a bit of soldering and $20 worth of parts can change that. Or it will force me to buy a new card if I fry this one, either way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #1,598 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Groovy.

I just found this thread thanks to a link from Sharky Forums , and I wanted to say that since switching to the X-Fi I've been disappointed with the sound quality, even compared to my old SBLive! 5.1 card.

I'm hoping that a bit of soldering and $20 worth of parts can change that. Or it will force me to buy a new card if I fry this one, either way.
smily_headphones1.gif

yea, a lot of people were disappointed by the sound quality, hence why all the mods came about.
$20 worth of parts? are you actually paying for your op-amps? you can get both the lm4562 and the lme49860 for free from national semiconductor, but the lme49860 is back-ordered right now.

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #1,599 of 2,194
Quote:

Audigy 2 ZS with an NTE power filter, lm4562ma opamps, and electromagnetic shielding

Any chance of sharing an expose on this. I read what you did and you said you figured things out but didn't give enough info for others to bypass the hard guessing stages and copy your hard work.

I opened a thread last week dedicated specifically to A2's here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/au...t-tips-308791/

Whilst X-Fi is the latest product, there still seems to be alot of A2 owners, ebay for example sells about 3:1 more A2's than X-Fi that could benefit from an adaption of this guide.

Mar 25, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #1,600 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizzycapola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance of sharing an expose on this. I read what you did and you said you figured things out but didn't give enough info for others to bypass the hard guessing stages and copy your hard work.

I opened a thread last week dedicated specifically to A2's here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/au...t-tips-308791/

Whilst X-Fi is the latest product, there still seems to be alot of A2 owners, ebay for example sells about 3:1 more A2's than X-Fi that could benefit from an adaption of this guide.

sure. i have to get some pics for three other people already, and i was planning on making a how-to guide over on techpowerup.

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #1,601 of 2,194
what are some good alternatives to the Blackgate capacitor? Also, if I wanted to find a local shop that sells capacitors and other parts, what should I look for in the phone book? What would the subject be?

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #1,602 of 2,194
Quote:

yea, a lot of people were disappointed by the sound quality, hence why all the mods came about.
$20 worth of parts? are you actually paying for your op-amps? you can get both the lm4562 and the lme49860 for free from national semiconductor, but the lme49860 is back-ordered right now.

Even using an .edu extension email, Natsem is still charging shipping. "Due to high demand, we unfortunately have to charge shipping and handling" or something to that effect. I can get you the exact quote.
frown.gif

Needless to say, I've got to order two sets (3ea and 1ea) to replace all 4 OpAmps, I'm getting a Blackgate cap, and probably some of the Nechijon (sp, sorry I don't want to look it up right now) to replace the OpAmp caps. I'm not keen on shorting them out, so I figure I'll at least replace them with some better quality ones. So for 17 caps and 4 OpAmps, I figure 20 bucks is a steal.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #1,603 of 2,194
Why hasn't anyone mentioned modding the break out box for the Elite model? This might be a dumb question because I haven't opened mine up and looked at it yet. There has to something in there that can be improved upon, right?

-sid311

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #1,604 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why hasn't anyone mentioned modding the break out box for the Elite model? This might be a dumb question because I haven't opened mine up and looked at it yet. There has to something in there that can be improved upon, right?

-sid311

It's mentioned many times in this thread. Search this thread and you will find them. I recall someone did it, but I think the consensus is that it won't help (as much?).

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #1,605 of 2,194
I wonder, if buying a "X-Fi Xtreme Audio" & hotrodding it gives same quality, as hotrodding "X-Fi XtremeGamer" or "X-Fi UAA" or "X-Fi Elite Pro"?
I think, "Audio" uses the old Audigy-base. XtremeGamer is the cheapest one with 192 kHz D/A, but no S/P-DIF input for me :frowning2:
I also wonder, what's "XtremeMusic" and "UAA" ... no information on creative-website.

XtremeMusic looks like "Elite Pro" without the external gear ... which one should I buy for modification?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back