Hooking up a Fiio E18 to a Sony Xperia Z Ultra phablet and PSB M4U2 headphones.
Feb 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

murray66

New Head-Fier
Just ordered up a pair of PSB M4U2 headphones after comparing them to a range of quality headphones in a local store.

As they'll be used 100% of the time with my Xperia Z Ultra (playing a mix of FLAC and 320kbps files: Electronic Dance Music mainly) I was thinking of buying a Fiio E18 as a reasonably priced upgrade to the Z Ultra's onboard DAC.

First questions: Am I likely to notice a big difference to sound quality versus the added bulk I'll have to carry. Also any other alternatives (around the $150-200 price range that is Android compatible and worth searching out?

Next... The Fiio comes with a stupidly short OTG - micro SD cable. Following my previous Z Ultra screen smashing in my pocket, this one is permanently in a hard shell case in a Tuff-Luv leather wallet with Skinomi screen protector.

So, my idea of hooking up the rig is... Angled OTG to Female USB cable from the Z Ultra. Male USB to Micro USB connector. Hook the two up and plug it into the Micro SD port of the Fiio. Headphones obviously plugged in to the Fiio. Will this work?

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 7
A really pity that my first foray into the world of Head-Fi seeking advice has met with silence.

I had hoped to learn from you guys.

I'll stick with my choice of headphones and source. Leave aside the notion of buying an E18. And leave you guys alone.

Thanks...

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Just ordered up a pair of PSB M4U2 headphones after comparing them to a range of quality headphones in a local store.

As they'll be used 100% of the time with my Xperia Z Ultra (playing a mix of FLAC and 320kbps files: Electronic Dance Music mainly) I was thinking of buying a Fiio E18 as a reasonably priced upgrade to the Z Ultra's onboard DAC.

First questions: Am I likely to notice a big difference to sound quality versus the added bulk I'll have to carry. Also any other alternatives (around the $150-200 price range that is Android compatible and worth searching out?

Next... The Fiio comes with a stupidly short OTG - micro SD cable. Following my previous Z Ultra screen smashing in my pocket, this one is permanently in a hard shell case in a Tuff-Luv leather wallet with Skinomi screen protector.

So, my idea of hooking up the rig is... Angled OTG to Female USB cable from the Z Ultra. Male USB to Micro USB connector. Hook the two up and plug it into the Micro SD port of the Fiio. Headphones obviously plugged in to the Fiio. Will this work?

I don't frequent this area much, if you asked in the Android USB audio thread in the Portable Sources forum you would have received lots of answers. You will certainly notice a sound improvement with the E18, no doubt about that. It should work fine via USB OTG cable, just plug n play.

The connection chain you mention will work fine, you have it sorted.

If you were OK with using the app USB Audio Recorder PRO for your music playback needs then the Audioquest Dragonfly is superb, awesome form factor for portable use and very good SQ at $150USD.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 7

I got the Xperia Z Ultra phone and and  use the exact same configuration. Right angle OTG cable then connect the cable from the E18 to the USB female OTG part.
It works great and I do like the sound a lot. Not sure about the tablet but for many things the Ultra seems to lack power and dynamics which the E18 shines at.
I use it daily at work now for hours and hours and is a joy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back