Homemade Foam Ear Tips for IEMs
May 1, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #61 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
scientific supply store, eg, VWR, Fisher, etc.

for example:
http://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product...ight=63012-445

etysmile.gif

Checked link, does not work. I guess they changed it.

The VWR homepage is:

http://www.vwrsp.com/

Under "Search for" type in: Tygon R-3603

It is the laboratory tubing.

That tubing works well for me, I haven't tried Googling or eBaying it.

May 2, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #62 of 244
Quote:

Checked link, does not work. I guess they changed it.

The VWR homepage is:

http://www.vwrsp.com/

Under "Search for" type in: Tygon R-3603

It is the laboratory tubing.

That tubing works well for me, I haven't tried Googling or eBaying it.

Great, thanks!

EDIT: Am I reading this incorrectly, or does the website say the tubing costs $222.55?
eek.gif

May 2, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #65 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irregular Joe
Great, thanks!

EDIT: Am I reading this incorrectly, or does the website say the tubing costs $222.55?
eek.gif

Here is the current link at VWR:

http://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product...ight=63012-365

For a 10 foot coil: 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD, 1/16" wall thickness = $7.29

There are various other sizes to choose from, depending on the IEM and the ID and OD you want.

I quickly glanced at eBay and found this for about $10.

Later-

May 5, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #66 of 244
OK, I'm lovin' my Red-Hots.

But for some of you fashionistas who find the very cool Red-Hot color clashes with your vintage Pumas and Abercrombie threads, well it doesn't, but if you think so, this is for you-

Memory Foamies.

Memory foam, that very dense, slowly expanding foam designed by NASA and used in expen$ive matre$$e$, is now used by E-A-R in their Classic shape and distinctive yellow color. THeir name, E-A-R Classic Softs. But don't mistake them for their PVC brotheren.

http://www.e-a-r.com/e-a-r.com/roll_...um=311-6000001

I’ve thought that the polyurethane foamies sounded better because they are less impervious to sound leakage. The open cell structure of the PVC seemed similar to sound absorbing materials, not sound opaque materials. This new formulation is not as spongy and open cell. It is quite dense.

These are as easy to work with as the original E-A-R Classics, don't really need to be trimmed or worked in any way. They come out looking great, just like the Classics, but, IMHO, sound very close to the SQ and comfort of the Red-Hots. Like the Red-Hots, they also take a long time to be held in place until they fully expand and properly seal.

Both the sounds and colors of spring abound in my ears.

Life is good.

Later-

May 5, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #67 of 244
Picture of the E-A-R Classic Soft memory foamies-

These look identical to the E-A-R Classics, but less spongy, and a slightly smoother surface feel than the original Classic PVC formulation. Still not as quite smooth as the skin of urethane plugs.

Of course they could be trimmed down to the size of the stock foamies. I kinda like the 'Grande' sizing for now. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
biggrin.gif

P50500061small.jpg

Whoa, that picture is larger than I thought.

Sorry.

May 7, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #69 of 244
Just wanted to update that it's nearly impossible to home-foam the CX300 and its like (the Creative EP-630 and Sharp MD-33). The stem is very wide, and I have the proper punch size, but the stem is also abnormally short. Since Sennheiser doesn't make foamies for this model, there's no tubing to try. Without tubing, the foam slides all over the tube. These are awfully difficult to insert with the stock tips, and when you have a slippery piece of foam on the tip that you're trying to compress and insert quickly, bleah.

D.

May 7, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #70 of 244
So after reading this thread, the Nitros have the best SQ? I'm interested in trying out the Classics, the EarSoft FXs, and the Hearos, but if the Nitros are recommended, I guess I'll just skip the testing and go for the Nitros.

May 8, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #71 of 244
How are the EAR classic softs for people with large ear canals
?. I haven't given up on DIY foamie mission but just haven't had time to mess with them recently. The memory foam sounds like a good idea. I've got pillows made out of it and it truly does have some very unique properties.

May 8, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #72 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz
So after reading this thread, the Nitros have the best SQ? I'm interested in trying out the Classics, the EarSoft FXs, and the Hearos, but if the Nitros are recommended, I guess I'll just skip the testing and go for the Nitros.

You bring up some very good points flamerz.

These are just my opinions from my very limited experience:

Overall, I much favor polyurethane foamies to PVC. For me there is better isolation, seal, comfort, SQ and they appear to last longer.

As per the individual foamies, the Red-Hots, a.k.a. the Howard Leight Max, are my faves thus far. BUT, this is because I have large ear canals. I think if you have small canals the Hearos Super Soft may be your best bet. They are really soft and comfy. Supposed to be like the very well regarded Comply tips. I just couldn't get a good seal with them. dvallere (post #24) also made perfect tips for her UM2s with some very cool stylin' and colorful Spark-Plugs. These are also a soft urethane, but I don’t know what size they would best fit. My guess, medium (??). The new Memory foamies by E-A-R are also really nice for a medium to large sized canal. They are also easier to work on than tapered urethanes. A simple hole punch should suffice. Take a look back at ntsour's post (#7), beautiful work with E-A-R Classics. I'm sure you can get the same professional looking results with the Memory foamies, a.k.a. E-A-R Classic Soft.

I think we are collectively getting some good candidates of plugs for different sized ear canals and IEMs. I hope more people will chime in with their faves, and what size ear canal is best fit and IEM info. For example, GravY’s Red-Hots look exactly that on his Shures (post #46).

Please also chime in if you hate my picks and like yours better. No worries, I can only fairly say what I like from my limited experience for my ear canal size. Collectively we can discover more ‘flavors’ if we agree to disagree.

Looking forward to your results flamerz.

Later-

May 8, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #73 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by feddup
How are the EAR classic softs for people with large ear canals
?. I haven't given up on DIY foamie mission but just haven't had time to mess with them recently. The memory foam sounds like a good idea. I've got pillows made out of it and it truly does have some very unique properties.

For me these worked out well. SQ and comfort are a very close second to the Red-Hots (Howard Leight Max), again, at least for me.

BUT, their advantage is their ease to work with. I think the firm composition and cylindrical shape of E-A-R Classics are far easier to work with than the very soft and tapered urethanes.

May 8, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #74 of 244
I'm still not sure the howard Leight plugs I got at CVS are the MAXs. They look the same but after freezing, drilling and drying out they end up being smaller in diameter than the Shure foamies or the Westone complies. I don't know if I did something wrong or what. The Shure foamies are barely large enough to stay securely so I doubt I want to go smaller. I certainly don't want to order 200 plugs until I'm sure. I am sure my memory foam pillow is very soft and comfy but that doesn't mean the plugs are big enough to stay securely.

May 8, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #75 of 244
Quote:

You bring up some very good points flamerz.

These are just my opinions from my very limited experience:

Overall, I much favor polyurethane foamies to PVC. For me there is better isolation, seal, comfort, SQ and they appear to last longer.

As per the individual foamies, the Red-Hots, a.k.a. the Howard Leight Max, are my faves thus far. BUT, this is because I have large ear canals. I think if you have small canals the Hearos Super Soft may be your best bet. They are really soft and comfy. Supposed to be like the very well regarded Comply tips. I just couldn't get a good seal with them. dvallere (post #24) also made perfect tips for her UM2s with some very cool stylin' and colorful Spark-Plugs. These are also a soft urethane, but I don’t know what size they would best fit. My guess, medium (??). The new Memory foamies by E-A-R are also really nice for a medium to large sized canal. They are also easier to work on than tapered urethanes. A simple hole punch should suffice. Take a look back at ntsour's post (#7), beautiful work with E-A-R Classics. I'm sure you can get the same professional looking results with the Memory foamies, a.k.a. E-A-R Classic Soft.

I think we are collectively getting some good candidates of plugs for different sized ear canals and IEMs. I hope more people will chime in with their faves, and what size ear canal is best fit and IEM info. For example, GravY’s Red-Hots look exactly that on his Shures (post #46).

Please also chime in if you hate my picks and like yours better. No worries, I can only fairly say what I like from my limited experience for my ear canal size. Collectively we can discover more ‘flavors’ if we agree to disagree.

Looking forward to your results flamerz.

Later-

My bad, I thought the HLMs were Nitros. I think I will test out about five different plugs, once I receive my iM716s. Not sure when I'll get those though, as I believe Amazon is backordered on them. I might be receiving them in a week or so, or I might receive them in July.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back