Home Studio Musician looking for headphones
Nov 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

aer0blue

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to find myself a pair of over/on-the-ear headphones. I use my PC to make music, with programs such as FL Studio and others. Essentially, all I need is for the sound to be crisp and clear with good bass. They do not need to be portable nor do they need to have noise cancelling (they are both pluses, but not necessary, as I imagine it could bump the price up). At the moment, my budget is around $200-$250, but I'd be willing to save a bit more money if necessary.

Currently, I am looking at the following models:

1. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/audio-technica-ath-anc7b-quietpoint-active-noise-cancelling-headphones/
  2. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/akg-acoustics-k701-premium-class-reference-earphones-ipod/

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 17
For this purpose I would recommend you GMP 8.35 D or shure SRH 840 they dont necessary need an amp , balanced and neutral, that's what 's you need for production. Akg k701 is one powerful 'phone for music production but they will make you spend more on gear since they scale very good with every upgrade. If you get into akg you should getting an akg k702 since they have detachable cable, very important it can save you a lot of the hustle if you want change cable due to some kind of defect. Akg k701/2 gets a love or hate treatment around here but they are truly wonderful 'phones and they are sonically very similar to adam a7 monitors. If you get them you should consider a decent amp like Imamp or something else which is important with akg.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 17
Beyer dt250 is another option....probably the 80 ohm version will work best without a dedicated amp...very clear and crisp with good bass and mostly 'neutral', some say 'dead flat'.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 17
I'd suggest the k601 over the k701. They sound a bit more natural with some instruments to my ears, but the mids are a little more forward, making them less neutral. They do need a powerful amp though. Some people are going to say on here that the k701 or k601 lack bass, but they seem to have enough to me. Only when they lack proper amping do they seem bass light it seems.

If you want a TON of detail check into the Koss Pro DJ100 for a sound signature similar to the k601. Just ignore the DJ label. I think they have some of the most detail out of any headphone i've heard. Just as much as some of the Beyer headphones. It fits your description of "crisp and clear with good bass". I always felt the vocals of the DJ100 were crystal clear. They'd be quite neutral if it wasn't for the forward upper mids. I actually prefer these over the Shure SRH-840. DJ100 needs a good headphone amp though or it sounds bad.

Shure SRH-840 is my other suggestion, but it has a poor fit for many. DJ100 sounds better anyway.

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 17
Firstly, let me thank you guys for taking the time to reply.

I have been doing some reading on the Koss Pro DJ100 and the Shure SRH-840, but leaning more towards the Koss ones. Here's another question: what would be a good amp to pair these up with? Anything in specific? Seeing as how these are about $80, I have around $200 left to spend on an amp.

Thanks again!

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:

I have been doing some reading on the Koss Pro DJ100 and the Shure SRH-840, but leaning more towards the Koss ones. Here's another question: what would be a good amp to pair these up with? Anything in specific? Seeing as how these are about $80, I have around $200 left to spend on an amp.

Thanks again!

I'll consider loopfreak recommendations, First you'll need a good hps, then you can tune in a nice hps amp, or sound card.

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 17
I use mine with a Total Airhead ($99) and it's a perfect combination. Based on my experience, they are very picky about amps. One idea is to get them at Best Buy and just return them and get the SRH-840 if you don't like them. I actually find them just as neutral as the SRH-840. People always say such and such is so neutral, but they never are. Not even the SRH-840 is to me. Pretty close though. I think the SRH-840 and DJ100 have VERY similar sound signatures if you compared them side by side. DJ100 may be a tad brighter due to it's titanium driver and it has more detail. SRH-840 is just better unamped. The DJ100 has great mids, just like the SRH-840. Bass is about the same, but DJ100 seems to have a bit more, but it's well controlled. Often I thought they didn't have enough bass at times, but it's due to getting a proper seal with the pads. I've swapped out it's pads with ones on my M30.

Another cheap option is the AKG k240 Studio. It's fairly neutral, but does have a bit more bass then a lot of other AKG headphones. I myself find the DJ100 better than all of these though.

EDIT: BTW, I can't stress this enough...if you have a small head and get the SRH-840's, keep your receipt or don't buy them at all! I really wish I could have worn them. I kept them dealing with them for a few months and got tired of it. They basically rested on my head and I'd move an inch and they'd fall off! It doesn't help that they're so heavy. I don't think they're worth more then $160 though.

Quote:

Thanks again!

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 17
My money would go on the SHURE SRH 840s - in fact - it already has twice...because I like them so much

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 17
It looks nice to me, but i haven't had the chance to audition it...nor i can find reviews about it. 

You cant go wrong with the Shure hps...they are analytical and good sounding to me. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 17
So - it would be nice to know what you decided on in the end? Feel free to let us know when you have tested your new cans.... impressions and so on....

Quote:
Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to find myself a pair of over/on-the-ear headphones. I use my PC to make music, with programs such as FL Studio and others. Essentially, all I need is for the sound to be crisp and clear with good bass. They do not need to be portable nor do they need to have noise cancelling (they are both pluses, but not necessary, as I imagine it could bump the price up). At the moment, my budget is around $200-$250, but I'd be willing to save a bit more money if necessary.

Currently, I am looking at the following models:

1. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/audio-technica-ath-anc7b-quietpoint-active-noise-cancelling-headphones/
  2. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/akg-acoustics-k701-premium-class-reference-earphones-ipod/

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 17
I like my shure 840's
IM lieing, I LOVE THEM
I use them in fl and ezdrummer (through vst host) and I don't mind them at all. I also use them through my ipod with mp3s and flac through my computer and there just great, I got mine used for 115 off ebay. The prices on head-fi or some were else used shouldn't be far away from that. Then you could maby get a small 100 dollar amp or something which I here improves the 840's even more.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 17
I wish the Shure SRH-840 was cheaper online. It's crazy how 90% of the websites want $199 for them. Once in awhile you can come across a deal on them for $130-$150 but it's rare. If I ever find them again for $130 I'm going to buy another pair and deal with them falling off my head. I'd also like to compare them to my new KRK KNS-8400, which is really light and comfortable. It's just so bass light and kind of too bright out of it's box.

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 17
Having said that - the Shure SRH 840s are worth three times the price Shure are asking for them. In my mind - they are worth $600 US. They may not be comparable with he-end cans but they get pretty close!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back