Home-Made IEMs
Jan 20, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #14,836 of 16,107
I'll definitely check these out.

I did have a bit more success recently with a 2nd ear impression, where I didn't have my mouth as open as the first time. Surprisingly this is fitting better when I sing, than the impressions I had made with my mouth more in an open singing position. I found that odd, as it it's kinda contradictory to the reason singers use a bite block when getting them made. I have a gig tonight, so I'll see if they hold up there.

But if the soft wraps help my ACS in ears, and my first attempts , then I'll be happy with that too.

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #14,837 of 16,107
Exactly, also important - wire one cap after the other - this is to create a 2nd order crossover.

EDIT: haha I found someone made this build http://philchang.me/portfolio/posts/DIY-CIEM-2.html
Hope this helps -

EDIT2: you know after reading it I don't think it will help that much
In looking more into this build I know a lot of people have had difficulty fitting it into shells, especially if they’ve got smaller ears. Would a SMD board be a viable workaround?

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #14,838 of 16,107
In looking more into this build I know a lot of people have had difficulty fitting it into shells, especially if they’ve got smaller ears. Would a SMD board be a viable workaround?
Use small SMD components and you should be fine in terms of real estate. Don't put through-hole resistors in it. You can use PCB board but if the space is limited PCB will further limit your space.
2xCI+TWFK is some of the most basic IEM configuration there was back in the day, lots of companies made it work so...

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #14,839 of 16,107
Sandpaper worked, still makes sound.
0AD630F6-DEEB-49B7-B5B9-2AEE11B8170B.jpeg
I hv followed your way to do same, but I don't hv knowles 30095, I just used 31736 instead. I removed the cover with sandpaper, very happy after sand off the cover the FR are still perfectly matched.
Snap8.png

I hv a question, where is the sound come out. From 1, the small hole or from 2, the narrow gap. I'm afraid I do it wrong while I insert into the shell and might damged it. Lastly, do I need to sand the other side out also, or one side is enough.
Thanks.

Snap9.png

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #14,841 of 16,107
I hv a question, where is the sound come out. From 1, the small hole or from 2, the narrow gap. I'm afraid I do it wrong while I insert into the shell and might damged it. Lastly, do I need to sand the other side out also, or one side is enough.
Thanks.
i think with the top removed you are getting sound from the entire top. thats the point of the mod, it removes any part of the driver that is shaping or directing the sound. hopefully allowing for more detail. you only sand off one side, and attach it to the shell by the other side. you definitely dont want glue or resin on any of the part you sanded down and you dont sand down the opposite side.

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #14,842 of 16,107
I hv followed your way to do same, but I don't hv knowles 30095, I just used 31736 instead. I removed the cover with sandpaper, very happy after sand off the cover the FR are still perfectly matched.Snap8.png

Thanks.

Snap9.png
That whole metal plate is the diaphragm. Left one looks a bit damaged from soldering but should be fine if they are still matched.

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #14,846 of 16,107
i think with the top removed you are getting sound from the entire top. thats the point of the mod, it removes any part of the driver that is shaping or directing the sound. hopefully allowing for more detail. you only sand off one side, and attach it to the shell by the other side. you definitely dont want glue or resin on any of the part you sanded down and you dont sand down the opposite side.
oh! This is my 1st time open the cover of the BA driver. ha, ha the sound is from there. thanks, I learn a lot from you.

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #14,849 of 16,107
fotoplast should be good in the container until the expiration date even if i opened it right?
After opening it went sour (hard) within 4 weeks. But maybe I made a mistake not closing it good enough and some air got to it. I just bought a 600ml botlle. So I was a bit disappointed that this happened.

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #14,850 of 16,107
Hi all, I'm new around here, but I've been reading and learning from all the information on here for a while.

I have an issue, where I think my ear may be the problem, and not the CIEMS I've made.
I use mine for singing on stage, and even with a good fit (I made sure I used a bite block when getting ear impressions done), I always get a swoosh/phasey thing happening in my left ear. Right ear seems ok.
If I use them for anything other than singing, they're great.

I also have a pair of ACS in ears, and they also do the same thing on my left ear, which makes me wonder if my ear is the problem. I understand there is movement in the ear canal, but I can't really perform when the frequency response is shifting all over the place dependant on how open my mouth is.

I'm really enjoying the process of learning how to making these, but wonder if my time is better used making some universal fits. I've currently gone back to using KZ's with comply tips on stage, because as much as I don't like the peaky sound signature, I can EQ them a bit, and never have the swooshy/phasey problems.

Has anyone come across a situation, where CIEMs just don't work for you, or a client? Regardless of how well everything fits and how well it's made?
I have made many CIEM's over the last 6 years and came across 2 things that can be related to your problem. One person had such small ear canals that I couldn't even get one 2mm tube in. So a CIEM didn't work for her. And with another person one side of the CIEM's started to come out of her ear when she started moving and perspire.
What's happening to your left ear could have to do with a bad fit. It could be that with taking the impressions something went wrong. Maybe you moved your jaw or head while the hardening proces was in progress or the audicien didnt do his job well. Mostly I have to join my customers to the audicien to check if they take a good impression. While doing so they have to keep the gun centered and not move it around in the ear. Some just have no idea what they are doing. But there are more things that can go wrong by taking the impressions. What also could have happend is that you have made the shell to small. I always use a minum of 2 layers of wax on the impression to make the CIEM fit tight. If it can move around in your ear you'll have what they call leakage. Sound can escape or sound from outside can enter, causing especially the bass to lose power. You'll loose pressure. This might sound as frequency shifting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back