Home-Made IEMs
Oct 18, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #14,386 of 16,098
If you can make an IEM, you can make an impedance tester. 100ohm resistor and the right connections, not too difficult, very valuable, you can really dial in the zobel if you spend the time, fewer surprises when adjusting crossovers. I did a quick test with driver inside the zobel a few (or more than a few) months ago, haven't used it to make any IEMs yet.

impedance.jpgZobel impedance - RAF inside.jpg

Edit: I am not necessarily suggesting that driver combination, I think it was viable based on individual frequency response curves, but not sure. I just grabbed drivers with resistance/impedance that worked out for the zobel calculation, but stopped there.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #14,387 of 16,098
Airbrushing lacquer is quite easy. I use an iwata with a .5 nozzle. Use a low enough air pressure to atomize the liquid. MAKE SURE you use wither a full face respirator. Methacrylate is NO JOKE. Also, be sure you have really good air flow. Never thin with solvents. I would get some disposable pipettes for filling the brush without overuse. Practice on some flat pieces of faceplates, or any spare blanks you might have laying around. I tend to have “unusable” opaque and/or transparent custom shells if I didnt nail the color blend or poured resin without letting de-gas under moderate heat.
Thanks for the tips. Finally had a go at this and like the results, though they weren't perfect. As you can see it has a slightly frosted look (looks more obvious in the pics than in real life) which I think is just down to not rotating them for long enough before curing? Maybe also I had the mix too wet?

1666157664368.png

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #14,388 of 16,098
If you can make an IEM, you can make an impedance tester. 100ohm resistor and the right connections, not too difficult, very valuable, you can really dial in the zobel if you spend the time, fewer surprises when adjusting crossovers. I did a quick test with driver inside the zobel a few (or more than a few) months ago, haven't used it to make any IEMs yet.

Edit: I am not necessarily suggesting that driver combination, I think it was viable based on individual frequency response curves, but not sure. I just grabbed drivers with resistance/impedance that worked out for the zobel calculation, but stopped there.
Congratulations for carrying my legacy lmao

I sound like an old man

My suggestion is to understand impedance and learn to implement on crossover

Zobel i did was to teach impedance and speaker kickback and how we can buffer so it resistance in source line like OI doesn't change tonality due to impedance reaction

Andro cable swap guys i am looking at you

Oct 19, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #14,390 of 16,098
Thanks for the tips. Finally had a go at this and like the results, though they weren't perfect. As you can see it has a slightly frosted look (looks more obvious in the pics than in real life) which I think is just down to not rotating them for long enough before curing? Maybe also I had the mix too wet?

1666157664368.png
That is due to either not applying enough lacquer OR your air pressure is a little too high. Buff the surface with like P400 or P600, wipe clean with isopropanol, then re-spray. Like @mattmatt suggested, lightly mist it first then open up your fluid supply a bit more and spray on a coat. It should look wet like a mirror. Then, put it on the turning motor for like 10-15 minutes.

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #14,391 of 16,098

1666157664368.png
Not enough fluid sprayed. This would just be my first coat. It seems to me that your pressure is way to high so the lacquer is vaporized before hitting the iems or you have your airbrush way too far.

I actually use fairly low pressure and controlled fluid release and close to the nozzle.

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #14,392 of 16,098
Not enough fluid sprayed. This would just be my first coat. It seems to me that your pressure is way to high so the lacquer is vaporized before hitting the iems or you have your airbrush way too far.

I actually use fairly low pressure and controlled fluid release and close to the nozzle.
I mean i spray really really close to the iems from the airbrush nozzle.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #14,395 of 16,098

Thanks @mattmatt @swtnate. It was my first time using an airbrush so I had no idea what to expect. It sounds probable that I was too far away and using too high pressure so I'll try up close with lower pressure next time. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #14,396 of 16,098
Thanks @mattmatt @swtnate. It was my first time using an airbrush so I had no idea what to expect. It sounds probable that I was too far away and using too high pressure so I'll try up close with lower pressure next time. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers
This is what a properly sprayed one should look like. This is already cured.

If you do a great job with spraying, you won't actually need to rotate it before curing.

Attachments

• IMG_20221021_184911.jpg
    IMG_20221021_184911.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 24, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #14,398 of 16,098
This is what a properly sprayed one should look like. This is already cured.

If you do a great job with spraying, you won't actually need to rotate it before curing.
excellent :wink: results similar to brushing :wink:
I gave up the airbrush, I don’t have time to learn how to adjust the gun ;( then I keep my brushing method or I’m used to it

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #14,399 of 16,098

Users who are viewing this thread

Back