Home-Made IEMs
Oct 8, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #14,373 of 16,080
Made a quick set for my dad so he can use while travelling. 12 drivers - 2x SWFK 31736, 4x RAB32063, 2x 37AP015
Face plate is laser etched wood with laser cut shells.

Does seem like you need a lot more bass for BA drivers to match the feeling of bass produced by a dynamic driver.

X12.png

20221003_002315.JPG

20221003_002453.JPG

Oct 8, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #14,374 of 16,080
Made a quick set for my dad so he can use while travelling. 12 drivers - 2x SWFK 31736, 4x RAB32063, 2x 37AP015

Does seem like you need a lot more bass for BA drivers to match the feeling of bass produced by a dynamic driver.

X12.png

20221003_002315.JPG

20221003_002453.JPG
Excellent work as always..and yes I agree about the bass. I always seem to be seeking more from my builds.

Oct 8, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #14,375 of 16,080

X12.png

20221003_002315.JPG

20221003_002453.JPG
The RAB seems to give me the same fits as well. I can never get a substantial extended high end shelf when pairing RAB32257 with SWFK, TWFK, or WBFK. It's like it just disappears. Strange phenomenon. I'm really jonesing for the new super tweeter from knowles. but the production ramp up is crazy slow and most suppliers are requiring 100 piece orders here in the states. Unless you are already purchasing direct. I can't buy 100 drivers just because Jerry Harvey made an IEM with the driver in what could only be a settlement of sorts from the Bellsing lawsuit that Knowles recently just won. haha. Anyone have experience with the RAU?

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #14,376 of 16,080
The RAB seems to give me the same fits as well. I can never get a substantial extended high end shelf when pairing RAB32257 with SWFK, TWFK, or WBFK. It's like it just disappears. Strange phenomenon. I'm really jonesing for the new super tweeter from knowles. but the production ramp up is crazy slow and most suppliers are requiring 100 piece orders here in the states. Unless you are already purchasing direct. I can't buy 100 drivers just because Jerry Harvey made an IEM with the driver in what could only be a settlement of sorts from the Bellsing lawsuit that Knowles recently just won. haha. Anyone have experience with the RAU?

If I remove the damper on the SWFK it'll look better on the graph, but that sounds like too much treble for my ears, so I opted for less treble. :p

Oct 9, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #14,377 of 16,080
I was out of the hobby for quite some while, but have components lying around to build another set. But I'm not sure if my lack 3 is enough.
Now that mcear is closed do you know of any sources in EU, that don't require having a business?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #14,378 of 16,080
I was out of the hobby for quite some while, but have components lying around to build another set. But I'm not sure if my lack 3 is enough.
Now that mcear is closed do you know of any sources in EU, that don't require having a business?
You can always reach out to Pro3dure Germany or Dreve Germany. Pro3dure is a little smaller manufacturer but their products are really well made. You might have more luck with them.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #14,379 of 16,080
Can confirm pro3dure let me order from them without a business. Just send them an email, L-1 is what you want.

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #14,380 of 16,080
Quick question for those of you that have used the Sonion EST65. I am only wanting it to cover 5kHZ and up and my calculator says use 2.2UF.....anyone used these and verify the number? I see .47 used but that seems to allow 10Khz and up. Any other issues with these guys?

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #14,381 of 16,080
Quick question for those of you that have used the Sonion EST65. I am only wanting it to cover 5kHZ and up and my calculator says use 2.2UF.....anyone used these and verify the number? I see .47 used but that seems to allow 10Khz and up. Any other issues with these guys?
there will be a slow creep up to your preferred frequency. Its all a matter of taste Vs that of calculation. Its also part of a passive network. Add one thing the drivers will respond one way. Add another or take away, more variation in performance will ensue. Of you are seeking to use it in a circuit, connect all drivers you are hoping to use. Then, connect that to your most commonly used audio source. Next, test FR of each driver followed by testing the impedance of driver. This is why so many in this forum utilize zobel networks. This will act to level the output of the drivers. In traditional audio speaker construction, one would use a zobel attached to subwoofer. More often than not, I will use them there as well. However, you can stabilize a tweeter response just the same. In order for the zobel to perform properly as an impedance equalization, you must calculate the parameters in circuit. If your values are not correct, there will be an electrical phase shift introduced that you will have to contend with.

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #14,382 of 16,080
2.2µf it's good for EST, the bump at 2.5khz is difficult to remove even with 0.47

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #14,383 of 16,080
there will be a slow creep up to your preferred frequency. Its all a matter of taste Vs that of calculation. Its also part of a passive network. Add one thing the drivers will respond one way. Add another or take away, more variation in performance will ensue. Of you are seeking to use it in a circuit, connect all drivers you are hoping to use. Then, connect that to your most commonly used audio source. Next, test FR of each driver followed by testing the impedance of driver. This is why so many in this forum utilize zobel networks. This will act to level the output of the drivers. In traditional audio speaker construction, one would use a zobel attached to subwoofer. More often than not, I will use them there as well. However, you can stabilize a tweeter response just the same. In order for the zobel to perform properly as an impedance equalization, you must calculate the parameters in circuit. If your values are not correct, there will be an electrical phase shift introduced that you will have to contend with.
Thanks...unfortunately I don't have an impedance rig. I'm proposing 2 ci's, 1 twfk, and the e65 per side...I'm drawing it out currently, but is a knockoff of piotrus-g's scary...I am apparently a bass-hog! As a cheap and dirty FR/Cap calculation, I use http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/CRtool.php to calculate. I left the ohms of the EST65 at 1 as I understand it's gonna change as frequency changes....too simplistic?

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #14,384 of 16,080
Dont use
Thanks...unfortunately I don't have an impedance rig. I'm proposing 2 ci's, 1 twfk, and the e65 per side...I'm drawing it out currently, but is a knockoff of piotrus-g's scary...I am apparently a bass-hog! As a cheap and dirty FR/Cap calculation, I use http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/CRtool.php to calculate. I left the ohms of the EST65 at 1 as I understand it's gonna change as frequency changes....too simplistic?
TwFK

It sucks

Use dwfk if you have seperate twooters

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #14,385 of 16,080
oh, you can use the diy one laid out in the instruction manual for REW. Its not terribly difficult. You just want to be sure the reference resistor you choose is of high quality so your measurement will be as close as possible. Its what I have used for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back