Holy S@%#......Burn-In Is Real!
Sep 15, 2003 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 126

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
OK, call me a non-believer......past tense! I was never convinced about the benefits of burn-in. When people posted that, out-of-the-box, their headphones sounded horrible, but after a lot of burn-in, the sound smoothed out, the highs were tamed, and the bass improved, I just said to myself, "Yeah, right." Well, I'll never say that again. As just about all my headphones, except for a few, have come to me used, I never experienced anything like that.
Based on a previous thread by Gout, I figured I would give the much maligned (mostly by me) AKG K270S a second chance. Geez, at a list price of close to $300, they shouldn't be that bad.
Anyway, Saturday morning, I went into my son's room (he's away at college) and plugged them into his stereo receiver. It was tuned to some hip-hop station, so I figured, what the hell, it's got a helluva lot of bass so it should be good for burning in. They sat there, unlistened to for 36 hours straight.
About 30 minutes ago I plugged them into the RKV (at 75 ohms, I used the Impedanzer) which is connected to the Sony 333ES SACD player and popped in Joni Mitchell's "Blue." I've been listening to this, and Johnny Cash just about non-stop for the past few days with the Grado RS-1/RA-1 combo and I've been loving it.
The first few notes told me something had definitely changed. The sound was now coherent, whereas before it had been a jumbled mess, with a honky midrange, shrill highs, and a non-existent bass. The bass was still a tad weak, but the mids had filled out nicely and the highs were not nearly as ragged. After a few cuts, I popped Johnny Cash in, and again noticed the dramatic improvement.
But the lack of bass was rather annoying, as was the stickiness of the pleather or vinyl earpads, as it's rather humid tonight.
Again, after reading another thread by Tyson about tweaking the K271S, I figured I'd play around. What did I have to lose? I don't have any funtack around for the tweak described, but I do have a spare pair of nice velour earpads for a Beyer DT-831. I popped the old pads off, and placed the Beyer pads on. Aaah.....pure comfort. I really like the feel of the Beyer pads. I believe they also improved the sound, because they are a bit thinner than the stock pads and bring my ears closer to the drivers (there's two in each earcup).
Right now I'm listening to Cash's "The Man Comes Around," his last album. The sound is now nicely balanced and smooth, with a much improved bass. These 'phones don't convey the intimacy of the Grados, but then again, what does?
To those of you who doubt the validity of headphone burn-in, I would just say, "Don't knock it until you've tried it."
I feel like I've just gotten a new pair of 'phones.
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 126
Heh, it's amazing when you hear it isn't it? I find it's very noticeable, particularly with drivers where the suspension needs to be loosened up a bit before they start really operating as designed. Man, you've really been having fun with this retirement thing haven't you?
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Man, you've really been having fun with this retirement thing haven't you?
biggrin.gif

Man, you got that right! Music all day!!!! I can't believe I don't have to go to work, after going to school every September for the past 50 years. I actually miss teaching.......but I don't miss having to go there!
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 126
I also used to think that burn-in wasn't real. To be honest, when I first got my HD600's, I thought they sounded good but nothing too special. But as I listened to them, it seemed like every week they were sounding better. And now they sound awesome. I was stunned that burn-in actually improved the sound, and by a significant amount. So for you nonbelievers, listen to joelongwood, because it's real.

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Man, you got that right! Music all day!!!! I can't believe I don't have to go to work, after going to school every September for the past 50 years. I actually miss teaching.......but I don't miss having to go there!
biggrin.gif

My wife is a teacher also, special education. She loves the kids but the administration wherever she is always seems to have her tied up in knots. I have a feeling she's going to find it really hard to retire though, the kids are too much a part of her...
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 126
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Based on a previous thread by Gout, I figured I would give the much maligned (mostly by me) AKG K270S a second chance. Geez, at a list price of close to $300, they shouldn't be that bad.

yup... i told you man ... thats why i rather dissapointed with people and headroom that gives it such a bad impression... they just pull it out of the box and start bashing it without proper burn in for it...

yup its kind of bass shy.. but its one of my favorit headphones
biggrin.gif

mine have beed used thousands of hour with large and dynamic music, and its getting better everytime and sounds sweet to my ears
wink.gif

glad you love yours now joelongwood
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 126
Quote:

Saturday morning, I went into my son's room (he's away at college) and plugged them into his stereo receiver. It was tuned to some hip-hop station, so I figured, what the hell, it's got a helluva lot of bass so it should be good for burning in. They sat there, unlistened to for 36 hours straight......popped in Joni Mitchell's "Blue." I've been listening to this, and Johnny Cash just about non-stop for the past few days with the Grado RS-1/RA-1 combo and I've been loving it.
The first few notes told me something had definitely changed. The sound was now coherent, whereas before it had been a jumbled mess, with a honky midrange, shrill highs, and a non-existent bass

The headphones were probably just thanking you for putting on some real music after 36 straight hours of hip-hop
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 126
I experienced the burn in issue fairly early in my headphone life after purchasing MDR-E888. These are IMO the phones that changed the most from all cans I've used.

PS: Enjoy your retirement joelongwood

Sep 15, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 126
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood:
I feel like I've just gotten a new pair of 'phones.
biggrin.gif

..and if there is anyone that needs a new pair o' cans...it's you!
eek.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 126
Better late than never
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 126
Quote:

OK, call me a non-believer......past tense! I was never convinced When people sounded horrible, but after burn I just said to myself, "Yeah, me used, I never experienced anything like Gout, I figured I would give the much maligned stereo hip-hop hell popped in Joni Mitchell' notes a non-existent filled out ragged cuts,. What did I have to lose?
biggrin.gif

Did you do a blind A/B test? NO? Then your post is worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back