Holy Crap ... I might be moving to Turkey.
Jun 20, 2007 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Sherwood

Headphoneus Supremus
Update: I did go to Turkey, and since have come back. I had a wonderful trip, and thank you all for the salient advice you provided.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, a few weeks ago I graduated with a Political Science degree from the University of Colorado, and started looking for a job. I found a good internship doing public policy research and a good part time job running sound for the city, but my wife kept on looking for more jobs for me. Eventually, she happened upon an opportunity for both of us to teach English at Bilkent university in Ankara, Turkey. I interviewed on the phone yesterday, and today they called all of my references. I expect that we'll both get the job.

We would be living on campus with room and (some) board covered, and we would be paid pseudo-American wages. The contract is for a full year. I've lived in London for two months, but outside of that I've never lived anywhere but Colorado, and this is a terrifying decision. Both of our families think this is a bad idea, partly because of recent border incursions into Turkey, and partly because of well documented tensions with Christians. We are both very devout, active believers.

Anyone out there spent any time in Turkey, or taught English abroad? Any Turkish citizens in the head-fi universe? Could a reasonably open-minded, intelligent young American Christian couple get along for a year over there? Could we convince our folks?

Quite a big decision. Thanks for the advice.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by VirgilD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pray about it and see how you feel.

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Congrats on the world class first post.

now to get to Sherwood's question... i don't know. I know several former grad-students who got jobs in European places... I'm sure there are forums and all kinds of stuff for you guys.

Please visit Constantinople and the Hagia Sophia.
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 54
Personally, I think it sounds like far too exciting an opportunity to pass up. Ask yourself the question, is there any other time in your life that you will be able to move to Europe to work for a year? I considered moving to Europe for a job, but ultimately procrastinated over it too long and they hired someone before I applied for it. There may be some tensions with regard to Christians there, but if you just keep your heads down I would think everything would be fine.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 54
That's true, all of it. I have been in a great deal of prayer, as has everyone I know and felt comfortable asking. It grates me to hear "keep your heads down" in respect to my faith, but you're absolutely right. I'm used to a different world. One with not only religious freedom, but where my religious (arguably) has more power than any other. It wouldn't do me any good to pretend like Turkey was the same way. For all their freedoms, it's still a different world.

I will go see Constantinople and the Hagia Sofia (Ayasofya, in Turkish), they're only a few hours away. I'll also see every damned thing I possibly can. That's really what excites me about this opportunity, and I'm glad to hear that now is the time to take it, Clutz.

Keep the advice flowing, guys. I appreciate all of it.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, a few weeks ago I graduated with a Political Science degree from the University of Colorado, and started looking for a job. I found a good internship doing public policy research and a good part time job running sound for the city, but my wife kept on looking for more jobs for me. Eventually, she happened upon an opportunity for both of us to teach English at Bilkent university in Ankara, Turkey. I interviewed on the phone yesterday, and today they called all of my references. I expect that we'll both get the job.

We would be living on campus with room and (some) board covered, and we would be paid pseudo-American wages. The contract is for a full year. I've lived in London for two months, but outside of that I've never lived anywhere but Colorado, and this is a terrifying decision. Both of our families think this is a bad idea, partly because of recent border incursions into Turkey, and partly because of well documented tensions with Christians. We are both very devout, active believers.

Anyone out there spent any time in Turkey, or taught English abroad? Any Turkish citizens in the head-fi universe? Could a reasonably open-minded, intelligent young American Christian couple get along for a year over there? Could we convince our folks?

Quite a big decision. Thanks for the advice.

while Turkey has its issues, it's quite a cosmopolitan country (at least the western part). it's stunningly beautiful and central in most of world history.

the Turkish government is purely secular (something our own country might learn from), and while there are some religious tensions, it's not really significantly worse than the religious tensions here in the U.S.

individuals of all faiths are generally treated with respect; there is even a sizable Jewish population in this historically Muslim country. you should not worry for your safety in that respect.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 54
I dont think you are going to like my answer but here it is. Instabul is where you want to be. Ankara is where you don't want to be. I am afraid in Ankara you are going to stick out like a fly in a boul of milk and it isnt too cosmopolitan either. On the other hand Instabul is a much more enjoyable city.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 54
I have had the opportunity to work overseas and there are a lot of things to consider from tax equalization, number of flights back home per year, how would a pension work, in which currency you will be paid at, is there a clause to pay ransom, emergency medical evacuation, is a course to learn their language included, etc.

Although you know it I will repeat it, be prepared to compromise. I mean for example do not expect to find an Eckerds open at 3:30am to get aspirins.

The opportunity to learn another culture is very rewarding and in the long run you gain far more than any inconveniences you may suffer.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think you are going to like my answer but here it is. Instabul is where you want to be. Ankara is where you don't want to be. I am afraid in Ankara you are going to stick out like a fly in a boul of milk and it isnt too cosmopolitan either. On the other hand Instabul is a much more enjoyable city.

ooh... it's in Ankara... i misread. i had assumed this would be in Istanbul. Ankara's not horrible, but it's provincial... sort of like traveling around the world to live in Toledo.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 54
well, perhaps I can chime in here cuz I born and raised in Ankara - came to USA after i got my civil engineering degree from METU (middle east technical university - 20,000 student body - 5 miles from Bilkent) after the age of 22...

It is, as a turkish citizen, sad to see some comments like safety issues, actions against Christians, or calling Istanbul as Constantinople (it's changed to Istanbul 550 years ago - FYI). However, in this post, I won't be stuck with 'defending' my country.

As with every country, Turkey has problems. If you want to hear it from first mouth, here is your chance:

(a) we have people from 30 different groups (armenians, arnauts, lazs, greeks, arabs, georgians, kurdish, etc). All of them have equal rights as stated in our constitution. Most of us (like in every democratic country) respect their wishes of some type of education in their own language/culture, songs in their own language, etc. And, by the way, they have legal rights to do these activities.

However, since 1980, approximately 35,000 people died in conflicts against PKK (most of them were soldiers in the border). PKK is a terrorist group, accepted by US government and all major countries, which is trying build a 'Kurdistan' by taking most of our southern eastern region by using violence.

Interesting phenomenon is many so-called allied countries helping this group by training, supplying arms, or opening camps in their soils. There was a bomb attack in Ankara 4 weeks ago (after 20 years) with the explosives (A4) that was sent to Iraq which was disappeared several months ago - somehow those explosives showed all over the Turkey (police captured 250kg (550 pounds) of it).

Therefore, yes we're continuously dealing with this type of intrusions, however, I can 100% assure you that no-one feels like we are unsecure... There is no such thing like you can be killed by some lunatic, radical people at any given time. Highly likely death occurs due to a TRAFFIC accident, lol (I will come to that).

(b) Rising of AKP, a political party in which its base composed of people who want a regime like in Iran. I said its base, because not every people in the party is that much radical; however its base expects AKP to go in that direction.

Turkey is the only secular Muslim country >> what it means: 99.5% of the population is Muslim but there is no relationship between the religion and the constitution/parliament.

Due to our (bad) election system, even tough AKP got 32% of the votes they are representing 66% of the seats in the parliament. How something like this happen - please use google, it's complicated; but basically, if a party can't exceed the 10% threshold value (# of votes), they can't enter into the parliament and those seats replaced by the next-highest-over-10%-party for that city.

I am not supporting AKP and ,unfortunately, watching some of the issues in agony. They are replacing previous administration with their people. And, from deep down, they are really working hard assigning their men/women to decision taker roles.

As you might know, there will be a general election on 07/22. We will see if their votes increase or not...

Turkish army & Turkish prime minister is against this party, too - due to their political maneuvers using religion. But, let the truth be told, we have millions of people live in poverty and these groups need to handle on something. Social system is too burecratic, education is not sufficient, we still have financial risks and unlike US there is no dynamic in the bottom 10% (if you are poor, you will stay poor)...

Above 2 issues are top of the iceberg and should be a good start for you to investigate
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, I would like to come to the good points of living in Turkey:

(a) I agree that Istanbul with its 17 million population is THE city, however our capital, Ankara, with its 4million population is a nice city, too. You will find Bilkent beautiful with full of rich people. Cities in Turkey is just a MODEL of USA. We have tons of malls, cafe's, restaurant's, night life, etc.

(b) You can visit so many different historical areas (some of them thousands years old). As they say Anatolia is the home of civilizations.

(c) If you will be earning $$, that's financially good. $1 = 1.35YTL, a night in a good restaurant with some drinks would be around $60 for 2 people.

(d) Public transportation is absolutely great. Subway is 10 years old and going to some parts of the city. But we have minibuses (called dolmus) or buses which is around $1 and their routes literally covers every corner in Ankara.

(e) Bilkent's campus is really nice and I would also tell you about the chicks, however I think it's not appropriate here
smily_headphones1.gif

(f) Turkish people is very friendly against foreigners. You should make some friends in no time and start going out on day 2!

Well, I spent one hour of my work time so I should stop now. You can pm me if you want to talk about it more...

Overall, you have nothing to lose going to Turkey, but lot to gain. Who knows, you might end up like others, buying a house in Bodrum for your retirement!

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 54
I spent a total of 4 months in Turkey back in the 80's when I was in the service. We were in the Southern part at Incirlick AB, near Addona.

I really enjoyed being there myself. The weather was great, the people were nice, shopping is fun and there are tons of historical places to visit.
A lot of it looks like Mexico, rather poor most places, but there are the richer folks in the big cities.

Shopping is a treat. When you walk into a store, you are treated as an old friend. They offer you pop, beer, or tea and sometimes snacks while you shop. The tea (Chi) is awesome, I’ve never had better.

The food was decent, just make sure the place is clean and there are lots of customers.

As far as religion, I actually found it inspiring that many of the Moslems would drop what they were doing and pray at the designated times during the day (not everyone did). They broadcast the prayers over loudspeakers so you have to get used to that.
We were warned upfront, if you go downtown passing out Bibles and preaching you will get in trouble!
Remember you are a guest, respect the religion & culture and you will do just fine.

Visit the underground city at Cappadocia, it’s incredible. We did some tours in the central part of the country and had a blast.

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 54
A friend grew up in Turkey when his parents were in the US Military and he had nothing but good things to say about the country and it’s people. I worked with a Turkish National and he was a nice guy and an excellent engineer.

I’d go for it. Sure lots of issues but it’s probably one of the more western nations in the area.

Definitely discuss security- there are probably some areas less safe than others but that’s true in California and any other major US City. Seems an awesome opportunity to see the world and learn while getting paid for it.

Todd sums it up very well. I’d go in the proverbial heartbeat.

Mitch

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 54
sounds like a great opportunity. once you get a full time job, your chances to do extensive travel or live abroad are very limited.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone out there spent any time in Turkey, or taught English abroad?

I was in Turkey 12 years ago! http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243725

The security guards at the airport were a bit aggressive.

When I was there I could also hear monks singing or something. It sounded like it came from everywhere.

Edit: I have been in Turkey 3 times, one time I got robbed by men on camels on top of a hill. They told me to sit on top of the camel for a few seconds, then they wanted money from me... They searched my bag but didn't find any money because I had them all inside my shorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back