Holy cow can you say diminishing returns HD 800!
Dec 16, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #46 of 51
  Its never a waste of space my friend we're all learning here. The Huge / LG / WA5 are all great pieces of course and will make most headphones sing. Its more the case that I feel you really need a great dac and amp for the HD800s to shine. When properly driven they have a presence and soundstage that imo is only reached by the top electrostats. Just in case it interests you, i have recently backed both the LHLabs Geek Pulse DAC and Lambert tube amp on IndieGoGo as i am also not willing to spend 10k on my chain. Im hoping that they will make a good budget system for my 800s coming in at $650 + shipping for both. I'd recommend having a read about them on these forums.

As for the camera analogy i didn't mean for it to come across as each component having an equivalent but moreso just as a general reminder than in many hobbies your gear is only as good as the weakest link. Glass is definitely a far smarter investment than bodies although with the current rate of advancement in sensor technology (sony) and lower price points of stunning glass (sigma art series) i think the lines are getting blurred.

Funny you mention that analogy as I was thinking that exact same thing and with Sony's newer SLT cameras and great sensors I am getting some stunning pics with fairly cheap glass which I like.

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #47 of 51
  Funny you mention that analogy as I was thinking that exact same thing and with Sony's newer SLT cameras and great sensors I am getting some stunning pics with fairly cheap glass which I like.

The CaNikon 1.8 35/50/85 are honestly pin sharp for the price at around $250 a pop. Lighter, sharper and faster to focus than most of their F1.4 contemporaries. I also have the Sony A7R / 55mm 1.8 combo and its not that far off my fathers D810 / Otus for sharpness and rendering although when it comes to color acuity and micro contrast the Otus is the clear winner.

Sorry for going off topic everyone.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #48 of 51
Please, head back down.

I vote for "most useless thread of the month".

As an aside, had the HD800, sold them long ago. Great headphone and quite a step up from my hd650. But a step that is greater to some than it is to others.

I agree. The HD800 is much better than the HD600 & HD650 according to my ears when I tested them on the Sennheiser HDVD800. The HD650 & HD600 wasn't even better than my high-end IEM's which was the whole point for buying a new full sized headphone. 

The HD800 was totally worth the money, but headphones like the HD600 & HD650 would have been a total waste because they would never be used and gathering dust.

But I wouldn't recommened the HD800 to most people unless they have alot of financial freedom and they already have something very good but want to take it to the next level. Most people are happy with a pair of Beats headphones and hence I take that into account when I advise them to buy something cheap that still sounds good.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #49 of 51
I posted this somewhere else ones, but thought it may be a good idea to post up here too. Anyone tried Koss KSC75 from Cary CAD 300B headphones out? No? Well, then you didnt tried anything, imo.
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #50 of 51
  Its never a waste of space my friend we're all learning here. The Huge / LG / WA5 are all great pieces of course and will make most headphones sing. Its more the case that I feel you really need a great dac and amp for the HD800s to shine. When properly driven they have a presence and soundstage that imo is only reached by the top electrostats. Just in case it interests you, i have recently backed both the LHLabs Geek Pulse DAC and Lambert tube amp on IndieGoGo as i am also not willing to spend 10k on my chain. Im hoping that they will make a good budget system for my 800s coming in at $650 + shipping for both. I'd recommend having a read about them on these forums.

As for the camera analogy i didn't mean for it to come across as each component having an equivalent but moreso just as a general reminder than in many hobbies your gear is only as good as the weakest link. Glass is definitely a far smarter investment than bodies although with the current rate of advancement in sensor technology (sony) and lower price points of stunning glass (sigma art series) i think the lines are getting blurred.

Cool, I have glanced over the two products but will take a closer look. Belive they are offering the Geek Pulse + LCD2 for $999 which seems like a pretty good deal.

No you didn't come across as such, just me wanting to input that at a certain price point for amps there is no such thing as better material just better design (without factoring the cost of some rare tubes). With that some ask too much for their design. I rather spend money on headphone than over inflated design costs. Indirectly implying gear in that chain is inflated I guess.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #51 of 51
I just reviewed the HD800 and compared it to the 007 a bit.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-800-headphones/reviews/12153

I hate to say it, because the 007 are one of my favorite headphones, but I associate them more with diminishing returns than the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back