Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 31, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #3,031 of 4,067
Didn't try Chord's stuff, so I can't comment about it

Also didn't try the L2, but from what I asked from owners and summarized from this thread, KTE can just skip DDCs, which IMO after a few days with it, seems to be true vs my time with the Denafrips Iris + Musician Pegasus I2S setup. L2 can possibly skip it too, but my personal reasoning for going with the KTE was, I planned to keep my Spring 3 for years, so I'd just go with the doubt-free option instead of asking what if.

According to Wildism (the HK distributor), the preamp module is :

From the display, what I see is it goes from 16 to 100 (or specifically, how it displays it is as "MIN", 17 to 99, "MAX")

Just in case you are particular about these things :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I tried the Iris... its a worthwhile bandaid for Denafrips DAC built in USB (Pegasus is a Denafrips knockoff) and other DAC's with weak USB input... but it wasn't a keeper for me.
Whereas the SRC-DX has me questioning whether I would ever go direct USB to DAC again, find up-sampled files inferior to native rate with an older NOS dac.

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #3,032 of 4,067
Received my Spring 3 KTE today, all I can say is it blew away all my expectations, its like going from 720p to 4k! Wow! Sounds amazing straight PC -> USB -> Spring 3.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #3,034 of 4,067
Are the Spring and May 230v or only 220v?

According to the kitsunehifi.com in the Holo Spring 3 listing Specs

Power Specifications:

Power Input (configurable, see label on bottom of unit for specified input)220-230V 50/60Hz – Fuse Type 2A SB 5x20mm
110-115V 50/60Hz – Fuse Type 4A SB 5x20mm
Power Consumption40W

the Holo Spring 3 works at 220-230V 50/60hz and 110-115v 50/60hz according to the specs. In Hong Kong we use 220V 50hz, depends where you are from, you can look up your electrical specs and see if its compatible? I am sure it works for most countries, you would probably need a power cable (didn't come with one for me) or adaptor plug.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #3,036 of 4,067
Also, just noticed this comment from GoldenSound's Spring 3 review description:

"The Holo Spring 3 is a truly fantastic DAC punching above its pricepoint, and with some unique features that make it an extremely compelling choice. I can comfortably say I've not heard a DAC this good anywhere close to this pricepoint."

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #3,038 of 4,067
Does anyone know if one can bypass the internal preamp module in the Spring 3 if one chooses to use an external preamp?
There is no “bypass” function per se inside Spring 3 settings. However you can simply set volume to max which could do the same job. There is allegedly no degrading on sound quality. Even if this was true, it would be nice to have bypass settings there in my opinion...

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #3,039 of 4,067
There is no “bypass” function per se inside Spring 3 settings. However you can simply set volume to max which could do the same job. There is allegedly no degrading on sound quality. Even if this was true, it would be nice to have bypass settings there in my opinion...

This is all true to my experience too, I am currently using my kte's preamp into headphone amps, and I could not hear any extra noise when left idle, at least to my ears.

I definitely agree that having a bypass would be a really nice feature to have. I have been thinking about getting Cayin's HA-300b, but I am left guessing if there is a possibility in signal degradation (vs just a pure DAC).

Originally, I got the preamp module just to simplify a speaker setup (just the kte + poweramp), but now that I want to expand further towards the headphone route, I feel that less is more, the flexibility of having a separate preamp is worth more than the nice trickled down serene tech (at a very, very good cost to performance ratio) in the long run :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

That said, I've read that someone else said the Holo Bliss have its preamp as an optional module too, so I am hoping that is still indeed the case.

Either ways, I think I would have preferred to have bought the S3 and serene as individual pieces (even though it would had cost more), IMO

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #3,040 of 4,067
This is all true to my experience too, I am currently using my kte's preamp into headphone amps, and I could not hear any extra noise when left idle, at least to my ears.

I definitely agree that having a bypass would be a really nice feature to have. I have been thinking about getting Cayin's HA-300b, but I am left guessing if there is a possibility in signal degradation (vs just a pure DAC).

Originally, I got the preamp module just to simplify a speaker setup (just the kte + poweramp), but now that I want to expand further towards the headphone route, I feel that less is more, the flexibility of having a separate preamp is worth more than the nice trickled down serene tech (at a very, very good cost to performance ratio) in the long run :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

That said, I've read that someone else said the Holo Bliss have its preamp as an optional module too, so I am hoping that is still indeed the case.

Either ways, I think I would have preferred to have bought the S3 and serene as individual pieces (even though it would had cost more), IMO

I currently have the Pegasus and are close to pulling the trigger on the Spring 3 L3. I run the Pegasus i2s to a DDC. Is the Spring 3 a whole lot better?

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #3,041 of 4,067
Hi.
Is this an uppgrade over hugo2/qutest dac?

And is there an big diffrence between level 2 and KTE? Is it worth that difference. Level 2 was reviewed as best buy.

How many steps does the preamp volume has?
I had a qutest and I can say that the spring KTE is a very significant upgrade over the qutest. I use the USB input and I'm quite happy with the result.

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #3,042 of 4,067
I had a qutest and I can say that the spring KTE is a very significant upgrade over the qutest. I use the USB input and I'm quite happy with the result.
I also had a Qutest which I really liked, but the Spring KTE is way better, in fact I personally think it is better than the Hugo TT2 which I also borrowed for a while.

Mar 8, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #3,043 of 4,067

I also had a Qutest which I really liked, but the Spring KTE is way better, in fact I personally think it is better than the Hugo TT2 which I also borrowed for a while.
What do you like more with Spring KTE in terms of sound?

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #3,044 of 4,067
Can’t wait! Should be a good upgrade from my Musician Pegasus. I’m hoping the i2s is compatible with my Pi2AES

Attachments

• 537CC505-A76D-4D87-B271-7EACA1A0AA6C.png
    537CC505-A76D-4D87-B271-7EACA1A0AA6C.png
    843.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #3,045 of 4,067
I currently have the Pegasus and are close to pulling the trigger on the Spring 3 L3. I run the Pegasus i2s to a DDC. Is the Spring 3 a whole lot better?
Can’t wait! Should be a good upgrade from my Musician Pegasus. I’m hoping the i2s is compatible with my Pi2AES
Guess I am abit late to answer this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

but my opinion is YES, having owned the Pegasus + Iris I2S setup, it pales in comparison to the S3 KTE (especially in smoothness), that I feel that the S3 KTE is well worth the money despite costing so much more.

Like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I never really thought DACs could make this big of a difference until I tried the KTE. In fact I am so sure my next DAC will be the May 2, when it gets released in a few years, gonna stick with my s3 until then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back