Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 2, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #2,791 of 4,067
Hi.

Maybe this has been answered before but I can´t find that info. Sorry if this is the case.
What would be the sonic differences between the Spring 3 Level 2 and the KTE edition?
Is there any sonic differences between Spring 3 with and without preamp module? (of course taking apart the fact you have a higher and variable ouput)

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2,792 of 4,067
Hi.

Maybe this has been answered before but I can´t find that info. Sorry if this is the case.
What would be the sonic differences between the Spring 3 Level 2 and the KTE edition?
Is there any sonic differences between Spring 3 with and without preamp module? (of course taking apart the fact you have a higher and variable ouput)

Thanks!
Very very little. You're paying for the usb essentially

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #2,794 of 4,067
Is it possible to buy Spring DAC in the UK? How much does it cost?
Wildism would be who you would want to contact if I'm not mistaken

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #2,795 of 4,067
Is there a reduction in sound quality using the SE output compared with balanced? I plan to use it with an SE only amp.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #2,796 of 4,067
I have been thinking of getting one, currently using gustard x12
For a 2nd hand one I can found spring 2 L2 for US equiv 1k
Or a new spring3L1 for US equiv. 2.1k

Do you think a spring 2 L2 worth 1k now that spring 3 is out?

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #2,797 of 4,067
I have been thinking of getting one, currently using gustard x12
For a 2nd hand one I can found spring 2 L2 for US equiv 1k
Or a new spring3L1 for US equiv. 2.1k

Do you think a spring 2 L2 worth 1k now that spring 3 is out?
I really enjoyed my Holo spring 2 L2. I moved up to the Spring 3 LV2 and do not think I really gained much at all.
I would have been perfectly happy and what I know now, would most probably just stayed with the Holo2. It is a great dac.
I do have a Singxer SU-6 that I used with both.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #2,798 of 4,067
As Cameron Oakley of Golden sound said. The holo 3 sounds closer to the May, than the holo 2. And performs objectively closure too

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,799 of 4,067
As Cameron Oakley of Golden sound said. The holo 3 sounds closer to the May, than the holo 2. And performs objectively closure too
Yes, I have been browsing internet all along and this is the only good comparison I can find, which is why I Wonder should I shell out that kinda money for a DAC....

I've got enough complain from my wife on deciding a 1k 2nd hand spring 2 dac, tho I don't want to be eyeing a new one after getting spring 2......

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,800 of 4,067
Yes, I have been browsing internet all along and this is the only good comparison I can find, which is why I Wonder should I shell out that kinda money for a DAC....

I've got enough complain from my wife on deciding a 1k 2nd hand spring 2 dac, tho I don't want to be eyeing a new one after getting spring 2......

Then maybe just walk away from the upgrade for now.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #2,802 of 4,067
This question may be best addressed by Holo Audio. The Spring 3 (KTE?) has a new USB module for support of AMD based computer playback, while all Intel-based systems are already fully supported. What about Apple M1 based laptops? Are they already supported, or they need software/hardware update for full support?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #2,803 of 4,067
Hi folks
am considering to get a Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE to pair with Ferrum OOR amp / HYPSOS power unit.
Currently owning a Shanling M30 delta sigma as source and realized that I am good with a source voltage of 5,2V to have enough headroom left driving my Abyss Phi TC and Susvara (currently going to around 45% max volume with TC and 55 max with Susvara depending on the recording volume).
Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE stock version is providing a fixed output voltage of 5,8V which should provide me even more headroom.
Question is if the preamp version will provide some advantage / different sound signature besides providing more voltage?
Thx and Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #2,804 of 4,067
Hi folks
am considering to get a Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE to pair with Ferrum OOR amp / HYPSOS power unit.
Currently owning a Shanling M30 delta sigma as source and realized that I am good with a source voltage of 5,2V to have enough headroom left driving my Abyss Phi TC and Susvara (currently going to around 45% max volume with TC and 55 max with Susvara depending on the recording volume).
Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE stock version is providing a fixed output voltage of 5,8V which should provide me even more headroom.
Question is if the preamp version will provide some advantage / different sound signature besides providing more voltage?
Thx and Cheers!
Talk to @OneEyedHito, I believe he has that exact setup at the moment...or something very close.

Dec 12, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #2,805 of 4,067
Talk to @OneEyedHito, I believe he has that exact setup at the moment...or something very close.
I will but I know he's now having the preamp version and wants to trade against stock as he's using a separate preamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back