Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Oct 19, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #2,747 of 4,067
Thanks.

I'm not sure if there are others. I thought you might know :)
To the best of my knowledge, each Spring 3 only equips with one fuse which is the one i replaced from inside of the fuse holder by the power cord inlet. If i am mistaken whoever knows the answer please kindly educate me. :pray: Hope there is truly only one fuse is needed otherwise my wallet will get a bit thinner :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I remembered when the time i had my Spring 3 Level 1, i once emailed Kitsune inquiring about the availbility of Holo Red Nano fuse for purchase (because Magna Hi-Fi doesn't sell fuses). Kitsune replied and asked me for proof of ownership of KTE model, and they assumed i only need one fuse and quoted price for one. So could this explained that we only to replace one fuse per unit ? I think so ... :L3000:

The Musician Pegasus and Aquarius i used before require two Audiophile fuse replacement per unit for AC 110-115V users though ... but interestingly for AC 220-230V region users if they would like to upgrade fuses they only need to replace one of the two fuses onboard (see attached picture).

Cheers ! :beerchug:

Attachments

• Official Musician Fuse Direction Guide.jpg
    Official Musician Fuse Direction Guide.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
  • fuses.jpeg
    fuses.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #2,748 of 4,067
I only replaced the one on the back near the power cord. I am not aware of other fuses inside of the Spring 3 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are there indeed more than one fuse in Spring 3 ? Please advise me Thanks
I recently replaced the Holo Red fuse with a SR Orange, after talking to Magna Hifi. They advised to take a slightly higher amperage fuse and didn’t mention any other fuses. If you look at photos of the inside, you don’t see other fuses either.
R direction UP and S direction DOWN (see S and R letters on the SR Orange fuse if you chose that brand). Up to 4A amperage is no problem (in Europe).

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #2,749 of 4,067
I recently replaced the Holo Red fuse with a SR Orange, after talking to Magna Hifi. They advised to take a slightly higher amperage fuse and didn’t mention any other fuses. If you look at photos of the inside, you don’t see other fuses either.
S direction UP and R direction DOWN (see S and R letters on the SR Orange fuse if you chose that brand). Up to 4A amperage is no problem (in Europe).
Hi LarsNL,

If you like to replace the factory fuse with a SR fuse, for AC 220-230V Region -> use Slow-Blow 2A or 2.5A. For AC 110-115V Region use Slow-Blow 4A.

When installing the SR fuse to Spring 3, the direction of the fuse should be "S" on the bottom & "R" on the top ("S" on the "Live" end & "R" on the "Neutral" end). Please see my attached picture as reference. You will risk losing details in Music if you install it upside down.

Attachments

• SR Purple Fuse_direction.jpg
    SR Purple Fuse_direction.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #2,750 of 4,067
Hi LarsNL,

If you like to replace the factory fuse with SR Orange fuse, for AC 240V Region -> use Slow-Blow 2A or 2.5A. For AC 110V Region use Slow-Blow 4A.

When installing the SR fuse to Spring 3, the direction of the fuse should be "S" on the bottom & "R" on the top ("S" on the "Live" end & "R" on the "Neutral" end). Please see my attached picture as reference. You will be losing details in Music if you install it upside down.
Hi Larry Man,
Magna Hifi confirmed that S is the “hot/live” end. However they say that the S should go on the bottom of the Spring 3 KTE.
I can always change the direction and listen, as I could clearly hear which way to place it in my second system Cayin CS-55a tube amp. But like I said, Magna Hifi has confirmed this direction to me twice.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #2,751 of 4,067
Hi Larry Man,
Magna Hifi confirmed that S is the “hot/live” end. However they say that the S should go on the bottom of the Spring 3 KTE.
I can always change the direction and listen, as I could clearly hear which way to place it in my second system Cayin CS-55a tube amp. But like I said, Magna Hifi has confirmed this direction to me twice.
Hi LarsNL,

The Hot/Live end for Spring 3's fuse holder is for sure on the bottom when we stare at the rear of Spring 3. My authorized Synergistic Research fuse dealer confirmed that as well. So "S" should be on the bottom to match hot/live end. I have tried flipping the SR Orange fuse of my unit before and the overall sound feels weird so i flipped it back and regained the music details.

Oh by the way for your info, during the 1st time i removed the Holo Audio Red Nano fuse from my KTE to replacee with SR Orange, the direction arrow printed on the Holo Audio Nano fuse was facing up. So i am sure the way i installed the SR Orange is correct.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,752 of 4,067
Hi LarsNL,

The Hot/Live end for Spring 3's fuse holder is for sure on the bottom when we stare at the rear of Spring 3. My authorized Synergistic Research fuse dealer confirmed that as well. So "S" should be on the bottom to match hot/live end. I have tried flipping the SR Orange fuse of my unit before and the overall sound feels weird so i flipped it back and regained the music details.

Oh by the way for your info, during the 1st time i removed the Holo Audio Red Nano fuse from my KTE to replacee with SR Orange, the direction arrow printed on the Holo Audio Nano fuse was facing up. So i am sure the way i installed the SR Orange is correct.
Hi Larry, I saw that I miss typed in the first post, which you correctly replied to. I corrected the post. Thanks

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #2,754 of 4,067
Just for your info. Replacement and shipping cost for my Spring 3 KTE unit was competely free for me, all managed by Magna Hi-Fi. They send me return label (for DPD parcel service), so all I had to do was to take package to the nearest DPD pick up center. In 10 days the new unit was delivered (also for free).

Thanks. I emailed Magna Hi-Fi and Jos replied that they are not shipping to US/Canada (anymore). I will have to go through Kitsuni's long line of waiting and rely on their customer service now -__-

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #2,755 of 4,067
Thanks. I emailed Magna Hi-Fi and Jos replied that they are not shipping to US/Canada (anymore). I will have to go through Kitsuni's long line of waiting and rely on their customer service now -__-
:triportsad: Bummer ... stupid market protection rule kicks in. We consumers pay for exceptional customer services and the consumer right entitled us to choose who we want to buy from !

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #2,756 of 4,067
Larry Man Hello,

With your Holo Spring 3 KTE have you had instances of screeching digital noise that some dacs produce and that has been reported in case with Holo Spring or May models as well? I have had such cases happened with my Macbook- sourced set up and few dacs. Thanks!
Hi KotBegemot,

Just to let you know that the "screeching digital noise" i had with Spring 3 KTE with JCAT USB XE in higher sampling rates has been completely solved by firmware V31.32. I ran my Spring 3 with this new firmware for 15 hours and the nasty noise never came back. There are no update notes about the new firmware so i have no clue what tweaks Holo Team has done to it.

Oct 20, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #2,757 of 4,067
Hi KotBegemot,

Just to let you know that the "screeching digital noise" i had with Spring 3 KTE with JCAT USB XE in higher sampling rates has been completely solved by firmware V31.32. I ran my Spring 3 with this new firmware for 15 hours and the nasty noise never came back. There are no update notes about the new firmware so i have no clue what tweaks Holo Team has done to it.
Good to hear that. Is this firmware available for all users? And another question, is there new USB module in your Spring 3?

Oct 20, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #2,758 of 4,067
Good to hear that. Is this firmware available for all users? And another question, is there new USB module in your Spring 3?
Hi koso,

Jos@Magna Hi-Fi said that he will ask Holo Audio for us if V31.32 will be a formal release or not and try to get the change note. When i see his reply i will update. I think this firmware is only to solve the JCAT USB card conflicts but let see.

My USB Module shows as "Gen2.1 Enhanced" in Holo Audio Control Panel (screenshot attached). I think this is a newer version.

Attachments

• USB&FirmwareVersion.jpg
    USB&FirmwareVersion.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #2,759 of 4,067
Hi koso and Everyone,

Good News ! i just saw the V31.32 firmware for Spring 3 and May DAC with USB Gen2.1 been posted on Magna Hi-Fi's download site for users: https://magnahifi.com/holo-audio-product-downloads/
:thumbsup:Kudos to Jos's team for such efficiency ! This firmware feels like a great build, to me it is as smooth or better than V31.26. Try it out yourself ! Cheers ! :beerchug:

** Update** - V31.32 firmware specifically fixes this problem with JCAT USB XE Card using asmedia controller -> "The asmedia chip will have different USB frame id during the transaction."

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #2,760 of 4,067
Hi koso and Everyone,

Good News ! i just saw the V31.32 firmware for Spring 3 and May DAC with USB Gen2.1 been posted on Magna Hi-Fi's download site for users: https://magnahifi.com/holo-audio-product-downloads/
:thumbsup:Kudos to Jos's team for such efficiency ! This firmware feels like a great build, to me it is as smooth or better than V31.26. Try it out yourself ! Cheers ! :beerchug:

** Update** - V31.32 firmware specifically fixes this problem with JCAT USB XE Card using asmedia controller -> "The asmedia chip will have different USB frame id during the transaction."
Thanks for info.
There is Gen 2.0 USB module in my Spring 3 KTE unit, so I have to wait for new module to be able to update to this firmware (Jos from Magna promised to send me new module after they will be available).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back