Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Oct 1, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #2,657 of 4,067
Oct 1, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #2,658 of 4,067
Is this magnahifi dot com a legitmate site to buy May/Spring 3 from ?
Magna Hi-Fi is not only an authorized dealer for Holo Audio products, they are also the European distributor. I purchased both my Spring 3 KTE and Level 1 from them. Fantastic technical advises and product services by Jos's team ! Swift Shipping by DHL Express from Netherland to Canada arrived within 3 business days.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #2,659 of 4,067
Yes, they are the goto if you are in EU.

Magna Hi-Fi is not only an authorized dealer for Holo Audio products, they are also the European distributor. I purchased both my Spring 3 KTE and Level 1 from them. Fantastic technical advises and product services by Jos's team ! Swift Shipping by DHL Express from Netherland to Canada arrived within 3 business days.

Thanks guys! That's assuring to know. They seem to have the units in stock. Perhaps I can order from them instead of Kitsuni to avoid the wait time although I'm in the US.

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #2,660 of 4,067
Thanks guys! That's assuring to know. They seem to have the units in stock. Perhaps I can order from them instead of Kitsuni to avoid the wait time although I'm in the US.
Their product stock status usually reflects very accurately on their web site, but i believe they have temporarily sold out due to high demands. You can email Jos and confirm the inventory or wait time before you place your order. They responded to inquiries very promptly.

By the way, there is a button on the top of the screen to toggle off the VAT so it will show the proper listing prices in Euro. Or the VAT will be automatically taken off when you enter USA as shipping country selection during checkout process.

Magna Hi-Fi will help adjust the AC power to 110V for American buyers before shipping. And the Spring 3 i received is exactly the same unit as those ordered from Kitsune, except the European version don't include power cord (most of us use better power cables anyway). And the Holo Audio fuse come with the unit is with 2A spec (Holo suggests 4A for AC 110V) but it has been working perfectly fine for my two units and Magna tested and confirmed this as well. I have anyway replaced the fuse with Synergistic Research Orange fuse and i personally love the result of SR Orange with my Spring 3.

Good luck ordering ShangriLa !

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #2,662 of 4,067
I have heard the Soekris in my own system and it was not bad. The Holo Spring 3 by all accounts looks like a step up?
Was the Holo a step up? IMO yes. Some of the stand out differences for myself, were: A blacker background, the soundstage is larger, particularly the height. Improved detail, better precision, bass is tighter with more 'clean' weight. Overall, the KTE Spring 3 just has (to me) a much fuller sound. The midrange is wonderful, effortless, treble detailed but smooth. I’ve noticed that with the Spring that listening even at low volume is pleasing, something that I can’t always do with the Soekris, sometimes I feel I need just a little a little more to flesh everything out of my music with that DAC.

A lot of these differences may be due to chain synergy, signature preference and music tastes. The Spring 3 sounds better to me when matched to the v550. That amp leans a tad more neutral than the v281. The warmth from the Spring was a bit much with the warmer v281 (all subjective and relative to the listener). The Soekris dac1541 sounds much better with the v281 for the opposite reason, in that its cooler leaning signature compliments the v281 and they make and excellent pairing.

The Soekris is great piece of kit. Is the Holo DAC better? Technically, yes. Sonically, I believe so for myself it is. Is it worth the $1.5-2k difference? Again, for myself, yes. For others – I can’t answer.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #2,663 of 4,067
Was the Holo a step up? IMO yes. Some of the stand out differences for myself, were: A blacker background, the soundstage is larger, particularly the height. Improved detail, better precision, bass is tighter with more 'clean' weight. Overall, the KTE Spring 3 just has (to me) a much fuller sound. The midrange is wonderful, effortless, treble detailed but smooth. I’ve noticed that with the Spring that listening even at low volume is pleasing, something that I can’t always do with the Soekris, sometimes I feel I need just a little a little more to flesh everything out of my music with that DAC.

A lot of these differences may be due to chain synergy, signature preference and music tastes. The Spring 3 sounds better to me when matched to the v550. That amp leans a tad more neutral than the v281. The warmth from the Spring was a bit much with the warmer v281 (all subjective and relative to the listener). The Soekris dac1541 sounds much better with the v281 for the opposite reason, in that its cooler leaning signature compliments the v281 and they make and excellent pairing.

The Soekris is great piece of kit. Is the Holo DAC better? Technically, yes. Sonically, I believe so for myself it is. Is it worth the $1.5-2k difference? Again, for myself, yes. For others – I can’t answer.
Thanks for your reply. I feel without actual being able to try any of the Holo DACs in my system from what I am reading this is where I would put my money. The midrange performance is critical to me as I like flesh on the bone where so many DACs can be on the thinner side tonaly. As you say system synergy can be critical to get the performance you are looking for so it is always in the end a matter of suck it and see as very few people run exactly the same set up especially when using speakers and amps rather than cans.

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #2,664 of 4,067
I have anyway replaced the fuse with Synergistic Research Orange fuse and i personally love the result of SR Orange with my Spring 3.
I am also considering to try SR Orange in my Spring 3 KTE, but was told that Holo fuse is very good too. It is audible difference? Can you please explain what sound benefit has Orange fuse comparing to the original Holo fuse?

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #2,665 of 4,067
I am also considering to try SR Orange in my Spring 3 KTE, but was told that Holo fuse is very good too. It is audible difference? Can you please explain what sound benefit has Orange fuse comparing to the original Holo fuse?
I use an SR Orange in my amp.

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #2,666 of 4,067
I use an SR Orange in my amp.
I have SR Orange in my amp and streamer too. But I compared fuses with stock fuses there. Here in Spring 3 there is already audiophile fuse, so my question was if there is any significant upgrade from Holo to Orange fuse. SR Orange is not cheap, so thats why I am asking.

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #2,667 of 4,067
Hi koso,

Yes, in my setup the sonic differences between SR Orange fuse and Holo Audio Nano Red fuse are very audible. The fuses Holo Audio picked for their products are excellent as well, but i am very used to the sound from SR's Orange and this could due to my own preferences. If i am not mistaken, the fuses Holo Audio uses is made by Aucharm and the specs are very similar to this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000463109849.html I am not a technical guy and only a music lover+an "audio hardware geek", so i am not in the position to comment on fuse performance, but these are my feedbacks. To me, one particular area SR Orange fuse stands out is the ability to reveal more opened sound field and at the same time to retrieve the instrument details and effects in the music background. I feel that the difference it creates is like someone removed a set of enclosed speaker grills from your 2-channel speakers (i use speakers more than using headphone by the way). I installed SR Orange fuses in my Mcintosh solid state Preamp, Power Amp and the Linear Power Supply for my JCAT XE cards, the incremental sonic improvement are very enjoyable. I was in the beginning skeptical about fuse replacement could alter the sound of hi-fi gears, until my friend lend me his SR Blue fuse to try on my own system. I was amazed by the sonic improvement and have decided to make extensive tests on audiophile fuses for the last 3 months. I had tried many brands include some of the best rated ones like Power House Zero, SR Oranges and the made-to-order Audio Magic Ultimate Premier Beeswax fuses. I ended up keeping SR Oranges because the overall most suitable sonic characteristics with my system. Both the Audio Magic's and Power House's are nice but too warm and different dynamic as SR's for my like. So in the end i sold those fuses in Canuck's Audio Mart. I came from Asia and there is a huge market for audiophile fuses there compare to West Coast Canada. Nevetheless, both Holo Audio Red Nano fuses and SR Orange fuses are nice tweaks for my Spring 3. Just a matter of personal preferences. But i encourge you to try on your own Holo Audio DACs or preamp. The results should be favorable.

By the way, Synergistic Research has an even better performing fuse called SR "Purple" from mid-October. I bought my fuses from here: https://highend-electronics.com/collections/accessories/fuses
There are many customer's reviews you can read from this site under each fuse listing. And the owner Alfred can give you better technical advises.

Cheers !

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #2,668 of 4,067
Their product stock status usually reflects very accurately on their web site, but i believe they have temporarily sold out due to high demands. You can email Jos and confirm the inventory or wait time before you place your order. They responded to inquiries very promptly.

By the way, there is a button on the top of the screen to toggle off the VAT so it will show the proper listing prices in Euro. Or the VAT will be automatically taken off when you enter USA as shipping country selection during checkout process.

Magna Hi-Fi will help adjust the AC power to 110V for American buyers before shipping. And the Spring 3 i received is exactly the same unit as those ordered from Kitsune, except the European version don't include power cord (most of us use better power cables anyway). And the Holo Audio fuse come with the unit is with 2A spec (Holo suggests 4A for AC 110V) but it has been working perfectly fine for my two units and Magna tested and confirmed this as well. I have anyway replaced the fuse with Synergistic Research Orange fuse and i personally love the result of SR Orange with my Spring 3.

Good luck ordering ShangriLa !
Much appreciate that. Yeah I put the item in the cart to see US purchse price. And good reminder about the 110V AC power. Everything is looking great about the Spring 3 and resisting is getting futile..

Oct 2, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #2,669 of 4,067
Hi All,

Does any of you connecting Spring 3 KTE (USB Gen 2.1) with JCAT USB XE Card like i do ? Have you had any problem upgrading to firmware V31.28 ? My KTE has been working flawless with firmware V31.26, but as soon as i upgraded to V31.28 the sound will intermittenly be distored and turned high-pitch static sound for 15-20 seconds then resume normal playback. With Magna Hi-Fi's assistance, Holo Audio developed V31.30 but with this new firmware the problem still persist (V31.30 is available today on Kitsune's download site by the way). I tried to connect the Titanis 2.0 USB directly to my PC's native USB connectors (disconnected from JCAT USB XE) and no issue at all for many hours now.

Just want to see if anyone of you is experiencing the same issue and possibly share your solutions. I was told that Holo Audio has been working on the issue still but i have not heard back, and the cause of the issue remain unknown. So meanwhile i will stick with V31.26, but the future firmware upgrades will be carried forward and developed based on V31.30 though ....

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #2,670 of 4,067
Hi koso,

Yes, in my setup the sonic differences between SR Orange fuse and Holo Audio Nano Red fuse are very audible. The fuses Holo Audio picked for their products are excellent as well, but i am very used to the sound from SR's Orange and this could due to my own preferences. If i am not mistaken, the fuses Holo Audio uses is made by Aucharm and the specs are very similar to this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000463109849.html I am not a technical guy and only a music lover+an "audio hardware geek", so i am not in the position to comment on fuse performance, but these are my feedbacks. To me, one particular area SR Orange fuse stands out is the ability to reveal more opened sound field and at the same time to retrieve the instrument details and effects in the music background. I feel that the difference it creates is like someone removed a set of enclosed speaker grills from your 2-channel speakers (i use speakers more than using headphone by the way). I installed SR Orange fuses in my Mcintosh solid state Preamp, Power Amp and the Linear Power Supply for my JCAT XE cards, the incremental sonic improvement are very enjoyable. I was in the beginning skeptical about fuse replacement could alter the sound of hi-fi gears, until my friend lend me his SR Blue fuse to try on my own system. I was amazed by the sonic improvement and have decided to make extensive tests on audiophile fuses for the last 3 months. I had tried many brands include some of the best rated ones like Power House Zero, SR Oranges and the made-to-order Audio Magic Ultimate Premier Beeswax fuses. I ended up keeping SR Oranges because the overall most suitable sonic characteristics with my system. Both the Audio Magic's and Power House's are nice but too warm and different dynamic as SR's for my like. So in the end i sold those fuses in Canuck's Audio Mart. I came from Asia and there is a huge market for audiophile fuses there compare to West Coast Canada. Nevetheless, both Holo Audio Red Nano fuses and SR Orange fuses are nice tweaks for my Spring 3. Just a matter of personal preferences. But i encourge you to try on your own Holo Audio DACs or preamp. The results should be favorable.

By the way, Synergistic Research has an even better performing fuse called SR "Purple" from mid-October. I bought my fuses from here: https://highend-electronics.com/collections/accessories/fuses
There are many customer's reviews you can read from this site under each fuse listing. And the owner Alfred can give you better technical advises.

Cheers !
Thanks for detailed info!! I will try it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back