Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 1, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #466 of 4,067
The Holo Spring DAC is replacing my humble Resonessence Labs Herus DAC.

Nice setup.

Would love to hear your impressions of the Holo vs the tiny powerhouse Herus.

The Herus+ is still on my radar due to it's size/performance ratio. R2R dacs like the Holo are on that list as well but would be good to know how the ESS 9010 in the Herus measures up.

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #467 of 4,067
The ESS chip in the Herus still gets on my nerves after only a few hour of listening which is why I was looking at R2R DACs. The Holo Spring DAC L3, from a cold start this morning sounded punchier, quicker more extended on the top end than the Herus. After a few hours of play time, the Holo DAC got more mellow, which I like a lot. Right now, I'm only using my wife internet radio station on the Aries as back ground music to break-in the DAC, as I have read, one or two weeks is needed. I can easily say the Holo Spring DAC does sound better than the humble Herus, no surprise there. Looking forward to hearing the Holo Spring DAC as it breaks in and fully develops.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #468 of 4,067

Got my Kitsune Holo Spring DAC level 3 today and using my wife's favorite radio station to break-in the DAC. The Auralic Aries is feeding the DAC using Wireworld Starlight 7 AES. The passive preamp (Sonic Euphoria) and the class D amp (D-Sonic) are both fully balance designs, cables are Van Den Hul balance Second. All power cords are connected to a Hydra power conditioner.

The Holo Spring DAC is replacing my humble Resonessence Labs Herus DAC.

Beautiful rig! I think the Spring is a very attractive DAC. It has an unique look that is very classy without being flashy. The copper sides are anodized aluminum aren't they? I would think real copper would be cost prohibitive. If it's real copper, that would be very impressive indeed.

I like that it's a heavy DAC (8.5 kg) that you can hang heavy power cords and interconnects on without disturbing it. 

It also looks like they didn't skimp on the footers. They appear to be a set of three plastic balls contained in a base so that the unit is resting on the balls.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #471 of 4,067

I'll measure mine when I get home later today.

Sweet. I had assumed the measurement on the site was with footers, but that might not be a correct assumption. When you measure could you also see how big the gap is, that is now talk the footers take the bottom of the Spring off the ground? Cheers 

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #473 of 4,067
I never know if the height measurements that are stated on the product pages include the feet.

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #477 of 4,067
This look like it could be the official site: http://www.holo-audio.com/

However, it is all in chinese
blink.gif
, so it might not be very useful...

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #479 of 4,067
I should repeat
beerchug.gif

Given the url, I think that this is the official site. I could be wrong... so usual caution be taken
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back