Holo Audio Red Streamer
May 11, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #1,891 of 1,920
You've to use the version for the RPi4/3.
After installing, activate NAA:
1000006625.jpg
Tell me the sequence of actions when my new Red arrives. To flash it directly on RoPieee.

1. Do I need to make a backup of the RedOs firmware installed from the factory and do I need to update it (at first launch) if I want to immediately flash RoPieee.
2. Or do I just download RoPieee right away (the sd card has already been prepared and installed the image)?
3. Where can I read how to make a RedOS backup (cloning an sd card or another method?).
4. I don't want to get a red dead brick after 1.5 months of waiting. To avoid making stupid mistakes. This will be my first experience.

Thank you.

May 11, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #1,892 of 1,920
Updated the Red OS release to 2024.04.21 the other day. Didn't note any obvious changes in the settings option except the two options right at the top:
Compatibility Mode (can select multiple services) or Performance Mode (only one service). Not sure if Performance Mode would be any different than selecting Compatibility Mode and then only choosing one service... Anyway I set mine to Performance Mode since I need only one service anyway.

Since then I have noted a random and occasional stutter when playing. The stutter is brief, maybe 250ms duration and is not repeatable on demand. Happens only once per occurance and seems to happen after roughly 60-70 minutes of listening and then not again for another hour or so. I didn't think to note if it does this with DSD but it's happened numerous times with PCM.

This is connected via USB to Holo May KTE, NOS mode, PLL Off. Feed is via wired network controlled by Roon. Roon is Upsampling PCM to 705.6 or 768. None of this is different than before the Red update when I never had this occur.

Have set the Red to Compatibility Mode and will report back if it happens again. If so, I'll remove upsampling and see how that goes.

How would one go back to the previous OS?

Cheers,
Robert

Hiylo.

I have not experienced these stutters in either mode with PLL on and upsampling. Maybe try PLL on before hassling with outdated versions.

Earlier versions have been posted previously in this thread.

Here is Red OS image.

If someone is using Red OS 2024.01.24 or 2023.09.28 i would be very grateful if following these instructions takes an image from his microSD card. The resulting image file if compressed to a zip file take about 180 - 200mb disk space which is easy to upload to a cloud service e.g. Google Drive... It's very easy to do...the only tricky things are 1. To open win32disk imager before inserting sd card to computer 2. To tick the checkbox "Read only allocated partitions"...
I created an image file from my sd card if someone is interested with version 2023.04.15 and upload it here.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #1,894 of 1,920
greetings

I m experiencing issues using hq player in roon and tidal as I experience alot of stuttering

I am using red os

spring 3, holo red ( usb )

my laptop
Device name LAPTOP-9OO2CJT6
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Installed RAM 24.0 GB

I tired everything in hqplayer setting but I can not upsample to pcm 1.5, only upsampling to 756 works

would using a different software for red solve the issue, I rely on roon and tidal for my playback, using red as roon endpoint

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #1,895 of 1,920
greetings

I m experiencing issues using hq player in roon and tidal as I experience alot of stuttering

I am using red os

my laptop
Installed RAM 24.0 GB

I tired everything in hqplayer setting but I can not upsample to pcm 1.5, only upsampling to 756 works

would using a different software for red solve the issue, I rely on roon and tidal for my playback, using red as roon endpoint

Do you have 1.5 selected in PCM tab?
Do you have 48k and Adaptive checked or grayed in Output tab?
Do you have Multicore checked in Advanced tab?
Do you have in Roon settings all Audio device disabled except HQP?

If these conditions are met and stutters still happen at higher rate but play fine at lower, this may indicate either too heavy filter/modulator combo or limited cpu processing.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #1,896 of 1,920
Do you have 1.5 selected in PCM tab? yes
Do you have 48k and Adaptive checked or grayed in Output tab? yes checked
Do you have Multicore checked in Advanced tab? yes
Do you have in Roon settings all Audio device disabled except HQP? yes

If these conditions are met and stutters still happen at higher rate but play fine at lower, this may indicate either too heavy filter/modulator combo or limited cpu processing.

can you suggest not heavy filters / modulators

May 11, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #1,897 of 1,920

can you suggest not heavy filters / modulators

In PCM try to see if non sinc filters play at 1.4 or 1.5 rates.
With DSD begin with non ec modulators such as poly sinc ones like ext, ext2, xtr short, gauss short, gauss long, etc.

May 11, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #1,898 of 1,920
May 11, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #1,899 of 1,920
This device seems like a nightmare to make it work right.

May 11, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,900 of 1,920
In PCM try to see if non sinc filters play at 1.4 or 1.5 rates.
With DSD begin with non ec modulators such as poly sinc ones like ext, ext2, xtr short, gauss short, gauss long, etc.
i tried non sinc filters and it seems they work

any good rec for a non sinc filter that offers the rich warm sound

also what bout those shapers any rec

May 11, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #1,901 of 1,920
i tried non sinc filters and it seems they work

any good rec for a non sinc filter that offers the rich warm sound

also what bout those shapers any rec

This is trial and error and up to your setup and transducer characteristics.
See if any non sinc filters are close and compare with sinc ones if you have to lower rate to tailor the sound. I found the sinc and heavier or long filters to add richness by dropping rate.

Switch Dither in PCM to see which ones get you closer. Same with modulator in DSD.

Early on I tested higher rate that allowed few seconds enough to get a sense of sound characteristics, then determine if worth pursuing further.
I experience higher rates with easier filters preferred over lower rates and heavy filters. YMMV.

If you are looking for dense tonal richness, you may need to try sinc MX, L, M, long with PCM or I found that in DSD with EC modulators.

To be clear, I do not mean tonal richness as in change in frequency response but how transients and decay intermix with notes and space to bring sense of weight and body or clarity dependent on shaper and timing.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #1,903 of 1,920
PLL is, in fact, used for the USB input. It just locks pretty close to instantly.
Are you certain about this? If so it would be good to see references. It's been pretty clearly established from my reading that the May uses its own internal clock for USB content and the PLL is only utilized for the other inputs.

In any case PLL was not on before the OS update and is not on now. Nothing else changed, yet there are now random micro pauses happening where before, nothing.

Cheers,
Robert

May 11, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #1,904 of 1,920
greetings

I am using red os

my laptop
Installed RAM 24.0 GB

That's a pretty old processor - I think mine uses the same. Basically, your issue sounds like your laptop doesn't have the power to upsample that high. So you have two choices, do the best you can with what you have or get a more powerful computer.

May 11, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #1,905 of 1,920
This device seems like a nightmare to make it work right.

His issue has nothing to do with the Red. Personally, I've had zero issues - I find it quite easy to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back