Holo Audio Red Streamer
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #1,756 of 1,871
I'll be honest, I prefer USB.
But maybe that's because I use DietPi?
If I have more time tomorrow, I'll try again with the RedOS :)
Could very well be that you're using a different OS--or just personal preferences.
A lot of different variables as well. In any case enjoy--and looking forward to your preference with the Red OS whenever you get the time.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #1,758 of 1,871
I have several questions about the HoloRed. Does it improve sound quality via Optical the same way it does for USB?

I ask because I often stream music via my NVIDIA Shield from my Roon Server. My NVIDIA Shield is connected to my TV via optical and my network over Ethernet.

If I utilize the IS2 connection from HoloRed to my DAC I am assuming I now only have to switch between USB and Optical on the Holo Red but does the Holo Red have switchable inputs? I do not see buttons on it.

For HQPlayer, would I need to input the assigned I.P of the HoloRed once it is on my network for it to receive the HQPlayer stream? If so, how do you go about doing that?

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #1,760 of 1,871
The Holo RED only has digital outputs. There's no Optical input to choose from.
The only 2 inputs are USB and streamer.

It will output to I2S and optical simultaneously, however.
Apologies. I meant Toslink from my DAC to my TV. The shield is connected to the TV via HDMI.

Would the Holo Red improve Toslink sound quality.

Wait optical and Toslink are the same right?

Thank you for clarifying that it outputs usb and Toslink simultaneously.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #1,761 of 1,871
Apologies. I meant Toslink from my DAC to my TV. The shield is connected to the TV via HDMI.

Would the Holo Red improve Toslink sound quality.

Wait optical and Toslink are the same right?

Thank you for clarifying that it outputs usb and Toslink simultaneously.
Still not 100% clear what your question is re use of the Red, but assume in general terms you are seeking to improve the quality of your AV sources’ digital audio before it is passed to your DAC and were asking if the Red could help with this.

As has been pointed out the Red doesn’t have a Toslink/optical input (nor for completeness, if stating the obvious, does it have an HDMI input) so you can’t use either of the two main AV digital audio connection types to input AV audio into the Red. You should be able to input AV audio via the Red’s USB input but only where a computer is the AV source, which I don’t believe is your use case.

Very few DDCs offer Toslink or coaxial s/pdif inputs, the Ifi s/pdif ipurifier is one. Audio-Gd and Denafrips DDCs are others. I use the modestly priced iFi - which is pretty much purpose built by iFi for this - to reclock the super jittery and thin Toslink optical audiio output from my TV before passing it to my DAC via Toslink or s/pdif coax (it can output both). It is very effective at this - the sound is much more full, dynamic and natural - and scales nicely as you add better/ lower noise power supplies.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #1,762 of 1,871
Still not 100% clear what your question is re use of the Red, but assume in general terms you are seeking to improve the quality of your AV sources’ digital audio before it is passed to your DAC and were asking if the Red could help with this.

As has been pointed out the Red doesn’t have a Toslink/optical input (nor for completeness, if stating the obvious, does it have an HDMI input) so you can’t use either of the two main AV digital audio connection types to input AV audio into the Red. You should be able to input AV audio via the Red’s USB input but only where a computer is the AV source, which I don’t believe is your use case.

Very few DDCs offer Toslink or coaxial s/pdif inputs, the Ifi s/pdif ipurifier is one. Audio-Gd and Denafrips DDCs are others. I use the modestly priced iFi - which is pretty much purpose built by iFi for this - to reclock the super jittery and thin Toslink optical audiio output from my TV before passing it to my DAC via Toslink or s/pdif coax (it can output both). It is very effective at this - the sound is much more full, dynamic and natural - and scales nicely as you add better/ lower noise power supplies.

Hope this helps,
I appreciate you going through all the trouble of explaining your setup to me.

Yes you are right. My TV has a Toslink output that I usually connect to my DAC. My thought process was to plug the Toslink cable from the tv into the DDC which would then go to the DAC over IS2. Then I could press the holo red input switch that does not exist to swap between USB coming from my computer and the TV coming from Toslink.

So judging from your explanation, the holo red ddc is for USB only in my case. Only my computer would receive a benefit.

To improve Toslink sound quality from my tv I can run the ifi between my TV and DAC as a solution?

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #1,763 of 1,871
To improve Toslink sound quality from my tv I can run the ifi between my TV and DAC as a solution?
Yes. This is what I and most people use it for and is the primary purpose described in IFi's marketing material...

1712870661470.png

Make sure you select the SPDIF iPurifier2 model as there are a number of similarly named ifi iPurifier devices that do different things. You can use it with the supplied ifi Power 5v adaptor which works fine and will still give you a good improvement over direct from your TV, but it performs even better with a lower noise power supply like the Power X and/or the iFi DC iPurifier - I use the two together, most excellent.

OT ends /

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #1,764 of 1,871
My Red is now one year old. I've noticed that the green power indicator led has gotten very dim during this period. When the unit was new, the green led was already dimmer than my Holo Spring 3 and Holo Serene green leds. Now it's gotten so dim that I can barely see it from the listening spot. When I reboot the unit and the red led flashes for a short period of time, it's very bright. But the green one is almost dead. Otherwise it works and sounds great. I've kept mine turned on almost 24/7. Usually I turn it off only if I know that I'm not listening next day.

Anyone else noticed this with Red or other Holo equipment?

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #1,765 of 1,871
My Red is now one year old. I've noticed that the green power indicator led has gotten very dim during this period. When the unit was new, the green led was already dimmer than my Holo Spring 3 and Holo Serene green leds. Now it's gotten so dim that I can barely see it from the listening spot. When I reboot the unit and the red led flashes for a short period of time, it's very bright. But the green one is almost dead. Otherwise it works and sounds great. I've kept mine turned on almost 24/7. Usually I turn it off only if I know that I'm not listening next day.

Anyone else noticed this with Red or other Holo equipment?
My 1 week old Holo Red’s green led is pretty dim, which is fine for me personally. Maybe something tweaked in firmware on purpose? (See photo)

Attachments

• IMG_1859.jpeg
    IMG_1859.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 14, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #1,766 of 1,871
My 1 week old Holo Red’s green led is pretty dim, which is fine for me personally. Maybe something tweaked in firmware on purpose? (See photo)
Yeah it might be normal with it and it’s not a big deal. Just something I was wondering.

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #1,767 of 1,871
Hi,

Just connecting up the Holo red streamer do I use the supplied memory card with the data on or are there other options that are better?

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #1,768 of 1,871
Just connecting up the Holo red streamer do I use the supplied memory card with the data on or are there other options that are better?

It just depends on what you use the Red for.
If you only use Roon, RedOS is top, if you also want to use HQPlayer, I would recommend DietPi.
I listen to 95% of my music with HQPlayer, which is why I use the NAA OS with my RED - but that only works with HQPlayer :)

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #1,769 of 1,871
It just depends on what you use the Red for.
If you only use Roon, RedOS is top, if you also want to use HQPlayer, I would recommend DietPi.
I listen to 95% of my music with HQPlayer, which is why I use the NAA OS with my RED - but that only works with HQPlayer :)
How would I use Squeezelite on Red to play music files stored on the network inside my CX SSD if that is possible?

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #1,770 of 1,871
How would I use Squeezelite on Red to play music files stored on the network inside my CX SSD if that is possible?
Unfortunately I don't know, I've never used Squeezelite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back