Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Dec 7, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,067 of 1,320
One was just listed on USAM at $3,800 which is as low as I've ever seen.
Messaged him but he only wants to do local pickup, and I'm 1,000 miles away unfortunately. Was ready to buy it.

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #1,069 of 1,320
The Holo May has good quality electrolytics like Panasonic FC And Rubycon. These sound clean and many like them. But has anybody tried to replace them with something like Elna Silmic 2 of Panasonic Muse FG to tune the sound to their liking?

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #1,070 of 1,320
I open up the May and the power supply, to be frank I can't tell how many rails of voltage are there, it's pretty complicated. I myself would like to add some caps in there but aww with the quality and complication of the design and give up by putting back everything. And FYI the main board are mostly single board, mainly power supply and others signal board are single board. (doesn't mean they are on same Gnd or no isolation between them) increase the difficulties of mod. Any brave volunteer to start? I just need to know how many different supply rail are they and where are they.

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #1,071 of 1,320
What are the chances of a May II coming along? It looks like May is coming up on 4 years old. My understanding is that it represents the pinnacle of what Holo Audio was capable of at the time of its development. But we know from experience that Holo is a company that likes to iterate. I am on my third Holo DAC, Spring 3 KTE. I believe I am in the market to upgrade to a May KTE but I am very apprehensive to buy considering the track record of Holo revisions.

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #1,072 of 1,320
What are the chances of a May II coming along? It looks like May is coming up on 4 years old. My understanding is that it represents the pinnacle of what Holo Audio was capable of at the time of its development. But we know from experience that Holo is a company that likes to iterate. I am on my third Holo DAC, Spring 3 KTE. I believe I am in the market to upgrade to a May KTE but I am very apprehensive to buy considering the track record of Holo revisions.
I suppose there is always going to be a replacement, but when is the question and what could it possibly do "better". Perhaps some filters from Signalyst? A pre-amp option?

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #1,073 of 1,320
I suppose there is always going to be a replacement, but when is the question and what could it possibly do "better". Perhaps some filters from Signalyst? A pre-amp option?
Better native DSD? I've heard that's left to be desired on the current May (although I know most are using it in NOS anyways and doing software oversampling)

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #1,074 of 1,320
I hope May keep it's DNA just pure NOS R2R DAC wihtout all the oversampling processing. Oversampling work should be done outside of DAC box far away from audio setup.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #1,075 of 1,320
Better native DSD? I've heard that's left to be desired on the current May (although I know most are using it in NOS anyways and doing software oversampling)
Better native DSD is what I mean by filters from Signalyst. I didn’t explain myself very well.

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #1,076 of 1,320
One of us, one of us. Haha.

20240129_154608.jpg

Got a sweet deal off the classifieds. Time to see what all the fuss is about. :gs1000smile:

Edit: WOW

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #1,077 of 1,320

20240129_154608.jpg

Got a sweet deal off the classifieds. Time to see what all the fuss is about. :gs1000smile:

It's a pretty big jump from Spring 2!

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #1,078 of 1,320

20240129_154608.jpg

Congrats!

How much does Bliss and May go nowdays on classfields?

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #1,079 of 1,320
I’m a new owner of the May KTE , it arrived a few days ago . Love the sound and looks just beautiful, On a slightly different topic reasons unknown i happen to click on a Denafrips thread of the Venus # 2 the anniversary model ,there’s a Headfi member absolutely trashed Holo Audio , his measurements prove it’s trash it’s not actually a R2R dac funny it’s not clear why he’s not on this thread telling us we all made a stupid purchase and here’s the evidence why . Lol

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #1,080 of 1,320
I’m a new owner of the May KTE , it arrived a few days ago . Love the sound and looks just beautiful, On a slightly different topic reasons unknown i happen to click on a Denafrips thread of the Venus # 2 the anniversary model ,there’s a Headfi member absolutely trashed Holo Audio , his measurements prove it’s trash it’s not actually a R2R dac funny it’s not clear why he’s not on this thread telling us we all made a stupid purchase and here’s the evidence why . Lol
It is r2r though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back