Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Apr 9, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #1,186 of 1,269
I don’t remember if it is in the May’s manual, but it is listed in the manual for the Bliss. Here is a picture of my stack:

IMG_5744.jpegIMG_5743.jpeg
some days I regret the fact that I jumped on the opportunity to buy the Zaehl HM1, there's something extremely visually satisfying about the Bliss + May stack 😍

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #1,187 of 1,269
some days I regret the fact that I jumped on the opportunity to buy the Zaehl HM1, there's something extremely visually satisfying about the Bliss + May stack 😍
I am sure the Zahl is better as I have heard it and have one on order. That said, the Bliss is great and phenomenal with IEMs if you have any as it is dead quiet. Why not get both?

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #1,188 of 1,269
I am sure the Zahl is better as I have heard it and have one on order. That said, the Bliss is great and phenomenal with IEMs if you have any as it is dead quiet. Why not get both?
I've contemplated it but I already have an HPA4 and a Ferrum stack too so it's hard to justify the need of a new amp that doesn't have tubes lol. But maybe I can sell that Ferrum stack.. :)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #1,189 of 1,269
I've read from others to leave the May on 24/7. Does that include on standby (the red light next to power button being on), and should it be powered on so that the display is showing (if you have that set to be on all the time, of course).

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #1,190 of 1,269
I've read from others to leave the May on 24/7. Does that include on standby (the red light next to power button being on), and should it be powered on so that the display is showing (if you have that set to be on all the time, of course).
The standby mode will disable the output stage and the May will cool down, it's essentially a soft off button. The people that leave it on 24/7 do so for thermal stability reasons (presumably?) so that means you don't ever put it in standby either.

Personally I think leaving a 60W device on 24/7 is a crime against the planet and your bank account, but if you have solar panels or something similar I guess it would be fine.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #1,191 of 1,269
I think leaving it in all the time is foolish. Stand-by is fine and within 30 minutes it will be at its max. You might not even hear a difference after 5 minutes. This goes for all equipment. Try it for yourself and see what is best for you.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #1,192 of 1,269
The standby mode will disable the output stage and the May will cool down, it's essentially a soft off button. The people that leave it on 24/7 do so for thermal stability reasons (presumably?) so that means you don't ever put it in standby either.

Personally I think leaving a 60W device on 24/7 is a crime against the planet and your bank account, but if you have solar panels or something similar I guess it would be fine.

I think leaving it in all the time is foolish. Stand-by is fine and within 30 minutes it will be at its max. You might not even hear a difference after 5 minutes. This goes for all equipment. Try it for yourself and see what is best for you.
Thanks guys :) thought it sounded odd.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #1,195 of 1,269
Thanks guys :) thought it sounded odd.
You can compare in your own time, but in my opinion, the May sounds terrible when it’s just turned on, and it’s a completely different DAC when left on for a day. It really does take that long to sound up to its best. If you do leave it on, be sure to leave the display off as otherwise you will massively cut down its life.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #1,196 of 1,269
You can compare in your own time, but in my opinion, the May sounds terrible when it’s just turned on, and it’s a completely different DAC when left on for a day. It really does take that long to sound up to its best. If you do leave it on, be sure to leave the display off as otherwise you will massively cut down its life.
A day? ^^

It takes May to 15 min to warm up fully and sligthly open up. Its up to 95% of its perfomance after 5 min.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #1,197 of 1,269
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #1,198 of 1,269
Going from Chord DAVE > Holo May initial impressions are WOW. Very impressed.

Instrument separation and imaging, not to mention tonality is absolutely beautiful. Feels like I'm listening to music, not a digital representation of high-quality audio files.

Too early to say much more, but it's off to a phenomenal start for a machine that costs about £2k less for me.
Welcome to Holo May, I did the same coming form Dave+Mscaler. Still now still impressed!

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #1,199 of 1,269
Love my May KTE especially with upscaled PGGB files, its truly excellent, but unfortunately I will probably be selling soon to recuperate some funds. PM me if interested.

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #1,200 of 1,269
Love my May KTE especially with upscaled PGGB files, its truly excellent, but unfortunately I will probably be selling soon to recuperate some funds. PM me if interested.
How do you like PGGB out of curiosity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back