Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
May 15, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #856 of 906
Also I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but HQPlayer added a new "correction" feature with custom improvements for specific DACs including Cyan 2. Can enable it at the bottom of the Matrix Pipeline menu. I don't think jussi has explained what exactly he's correcting here but he says it improves performance. Curious to hear what everyone thinks of it.
Thanks for the heads up - I've only got the trial version at the moment (now that I'm seeing what the Cyan can do with it I'll be purchasing a license in the near future) but when I checked that spot it seemed to only list the Holo Spring/May with no other options in the dropdown. This is on 5.7.1, not sure if I'm missing something for the Cyan specific setting? Just for reference my Cyan 2 is on the 5.68.0 firmware, downloaded from Kitsune.
Nevermind, it was due to using Wasapi output with the Cyan, switching to ASIO I now see it.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #857 of 906
Hi all! New Cyan 2 owner here. Apologies if this was already discussed but I wanted to know if the single ended output of the Cyan 2 is as good as the balanced. Asking as my tube amp is single ended only. Trying to decide if I need to get an XLR to SE converter box or just run it single ended directly. Appreciate any insight! Thanks.

May 15, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #858 of 906
May 15, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #859 of 906
Hi all! New Cyan 2 owner here. Apologies if this was already discussed but I wanted to know if the single ended output of the Cyan 2 is as good as the balanced. Asking as my tube amp is single ended only. Trying to decide if I need to get an XLR to SE converter box or just run it single ended directly. Appreciate any insight! Thanks.
I have just been testing this a little closer with the same type of cables both XLR and RCA (Chord Company Clearway). My amp is able to take both, and I can just quickly switch between them with a toggle, which leads to much more accurate observations as opposed to plugging and unplugging cables with waiting time. (Volume obviously needs adjusting.)
Most of my previous DACs had quite significant performance difference between XLR and RCA outputs. I would say in general RCA performed at around 70% of the level of XLR out. On the Cyan 2 I would put this value at 90-95% which I think is remarkable. The difference is not much basically, but when A/B switching, you can still notice the twice as powerful output voltage of XLR. The sound is just a little more dynamic, defined and impactful.
I am not sure, if a converter box in this case would improve or actually degrade the results. I think you should probably be fine with RCA, although missing out even on the last 5% of dynamics would always bug me. Even though the Cyan 2 has remarkably small difference between its XLR and RCA outputs compared to all other DACs I previously owned or tried.

May 15, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #860 of 906
I have just been testing this a little closer with the same type of cables both XLR and RCA (Chord Company Clearway). My amp is able to take both, and I can just quickly switch between them with a toggle, which leads to much more accurate observations as opposed to plugging and unplugging cables with waiting time. (Volume obviously needs adjusting.)
Most of my previous DACs had quite significant performance difference between XLR and RCA outputs. I would say in general RCA performed at around 70% of the level of XLR out. On the Cyan 2 I would put this value at 90-95% which I think is remarkable. The difference is not much basically, but when A/B switching, you can still notice the twice as powerful output voltage of XLR. The sound is just a little more dynamic, defined and impactful.
I am not sure, if a converter box in this case would improve or actually degrade the results. I think you should probably be fine with RCA, although missing out even on the last 5% of dynamics would always bug me. Even though the Cyan 2 has remarkably small difference between its XLR and RCA outputs compared to all other DACs I previously owned or tried.
Thank you so much for the detailed write-up! Much appreciated and it sounds like I’ll be just fine running it single ended.

May 16, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #861 of 906
Thank you so much for the detailed write-up! Much appreciated and it sounds like I’ll be just fine running it single ended.
Yes - I am waiting for mine to be delivered, and I likely will be running it single ended. So it is great to hear about your experience running yours single ended.

May 16, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #862 of 906
I am actually toying with the idea of buying both and keeping the one I like more. Resale of either would be pretty easy, and the $ lost would be small and probably worth it. Head-Fi logic in full effect :L3000:
If this is still of interest to you, I purchased both. I am still a few weeks away from delivery of my Cyan 2, but the R1NOS is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I would be happy to give you my thoughts on each and comparison between both.

May 17, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #863 of 906
If this is still of interest to you, I purchased both. I am still a few weeks away from delivery of my Cyan 2, but the R1NOS is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I would be happy to give you my thoughts on each and comparison between both.
Please do! I have not followed through with my plan to get both. I have a tentative deal to get a N1NOS in a couple weeks. Your comparison will be helpful. Thanks.

May 17, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #864 of 906
order mine May 1st, from audiophonics.fr :frowning2:
Decided to wait a bit more and asked Audiophonics to change the Cyan 2 for a Laiv Harmony (they start distributing in EU), now will be waiting till the end of June at least :xf_cool:

Taking the risk in the Laiv... but seems to be a notch above the Holo and more into the May territory

May 17, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #865 of 906
Decided to wait a bit more and asked Audiophonics to change the Cyan 2 for a Laiv Harmony (they start distributing in EU), now will be waiting till the end of June at least :xf_cool:

Taking the risk in the Laiv... but seems to be a notch above the Holo and more into the May territory
It's funny - I learned about the Laiv and the hype around it directly after ordering the Cyan 2, but I was relieved that the price is actually twice that of the Cyan 2 so I wasn't ready to make that leap anyway. Definitely curious to hear your thoughts when it arrives.

May 17, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #868 of 906
I am not sure why ppl associate sound quality with price. I have heard some very expensive dacs and the cyan 2 sounded better hands down…

I have no doubt dacs do sound different and it’s pretty easy for ppl to associate that dac A is expensive and sound different = better.

I have not heard the Laiv before and I am not saying it would not worth its price but unless I have someone play the Cyan 2 and Laiv in the dark, level matched, I won't say one is a notch up to the other just because Darko or someone said it is and its 2x, 3x, 4x, 10x the price

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #870 of 906

Users who are viewing this thread

Back